Offline howardtheduck

• Flat Earth Truther; don't believe the lies.
    • View Profile
What convinced you that the Earth is flat?
« on: June 01, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »
I've been looking through the evidence, and there's a lot, but I was wondering what exactly was the tipping point for you all here?

What made you certain that the Earth is not a globe, despite all we've been taught through our lives?

Was it a certain piece of evidence, if so which?

Did it begin as a curiosity from a skeptical point of view or did you always have some idea that we have been lied to?

Thanks,

Howard
"The eye only sees what the mind is able to comprehend" Henri Bergson

Mitchell45

Re: What convinced you that the Earth is flat?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »
For me, I was on YouTube. I saw one of those "FLAT EARTH PROVEN 2017" videos, and I thought it would be stupid. To my surprise, it made a lot of sense, so I did more research on the topic, and that brought me here.

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:34:25 AM »
For me, I was on YouTube. I saw one of those "FLAT EARTH PROVEN 2017" videos, and I thought it would be stupid. To my surprise, it made a lot of sense, so I did more research on the topic, and that brought me here.

Ditto,

When I was eight years old I was told that the stars are mini suns all with other galaxies surrounding them.
I remember being sceptical about it, so for myself, it was the understanding that stars are lights that clinched it.
After that, NASA's air bubbles, wires and blue screen and also the perspective argument.
The bible being clearly Geocentric is another big clue as I am a Christian.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:55:10 AM »
Well I watched a Youtube video about how Nasa was a liar and then I knew that all the pictures they showed us were fake. Another Youtube video showed a boat in the distance. Then they zoomed waaay out till you could'nt see it and then zoomed back in so you could see it again. I mean, how would that be possible if the earth wasn't flat? Then I knew for sure!
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:22:35 AM »
It's Obviously flat mate. If it wasn't we would fall of obviously. I can't believe that peope actually think that the earth is round.

No, the gravity of the earth keeps us from falling.

Most people think that the earth is round, because that is easiest to explain logically and coherently.

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 01:46:15 AM »
So a video on the internet with a specific objective is somehow more credible than mountains of observable evidence?

Every single argument for a flat earth falls apart when real facts are applied.  There is not a shred of physical evidence, simply misinterpretations, oversimplifications, or just a gross ignorance of the forces at work.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
Trying to use mountains as evidence the earth isn't flat is like saying the prairies aren't flat because of mole hills.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 11:24:17 AM »

Boots, have you had a bang on the head lately?
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »
LOL. Yeah, I got converted. Junker finally convinced me that all my arguments were, "irrelevant."

Oh! That and the YouTubes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:10:22 PM by Boots »

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »

Well tragic as that is, it seems to have affected your reading ability too, the mountains he alludes to are "mountains of evidence", as in lots of evidence, rather than mountains as evidence.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Criticize my post all you want, shill! I bet you think my first post doesn't make much sense either.

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
Criticize my post all you want, shill! I bet you think my first post doesn't make much sense either.

It makes sense, it is just clear you are grossly misinformed and refusing to look at information that doesn't fit your manufactured narrative.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »

I prefer to think that he is now doing a bad impression of a FE'r for some reason, having come here originally as an enthusiastic RE'r. The story of Junker convincing him is obviously code for this, as Junker, sweet as he is, never convinced anybody of anything.
That, or the blow to the head comment was unintentionally spot on.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
I'm not trying to impress anyone! Junker's not sweet. And I never got hit on the head. So most of your post is wrong. Also, aren't we supposed to be talking about what convinced us?

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 08:53:12 PM »

Sorry Boots, I was worried about you. Carry on.

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 04:08:19 AM »
I'm not trying to impress anyone! Junker's not sweet. And I never got hit on the head. So most of your post is wrong. Also, aren't we supposed to be talking about what convinced us?

Yes, we were.  So why did you redirect the conversation to you being a victim of some kind of intellectual attack?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 05:05:13 AM »
A transcendental experience with ayahuasca.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »
A transcendental experience with ayahuasca.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit".

Offline seekerfr

• Lost on a Flat Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
Didn't have to be convinced because obsessed by the Earth shape since I am young. As far I can remember, it became more obvious when at 10, I received a globe for a birthday and so, had the time to work on it at home instead of some free minutes at school.
Shortly, I had the feeling that something was wrong between the pictures I saw on my school books and their representation on the globe.
At 16, I went to a balloon summer camp and what I saw just confirmed my doubts.

Born in end of July, I was always celebrated with some "moon landing birthday cards" so the space missions interested me a lot and... again, I was doubting... So with the years, I bought a lot of telescopes, walked the French Alps to be high enough trying to find some evidence.

Recently (perhaps December 2016), by chance, I saw that some people were thinking exactly as I am and started to study what information they share. I can not say that I am convinced, I only say that the Earth is probably not what we were told it is.
Globes are not meant for educational purposes!

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »
So what I am getting from this is, a ten year old (oh and an 8yr old further up), incredulous that he’s standing on a ball (or the bright lights are big things far away), and seemingly at the peak of their scholastic voyages, and some guy off his tits on hallucinogen’s, and from this and a bit of looking out the window (and don't forget you-tube), I should ditch the insight of some of the brightest minds on the planet, past and present and distrust all the science, well I’m gonna’ pass on that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:56:30 AM by Jura-Glenlivet »