Offline Novarus

• View Profile
The Wall
« on: April 03, 2017, 07:36:49 PM »
In the Flat Earth theory, the world is ringed by a giant wall of ice. It cannot be traversed and anyone who approaches it is met by resistance from a conspiratorial border patrol.

So what are the dimensions of this ice wall that surrounds the disc?
Has anyone circumnavigated it?
If not, how has its coastline been drawn on Flat Earth maps?
Also if not, how do we know it is contiguous around the entire circumference?

I'd love to talk to someone who has actually seen it too.

Stay scientific - government conspiracies aside, if one is going to assert it is there then it must have been observed somehow.

geckothegeek

Re: The Wall
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:01:20 AM »
In the Flat Earth theory, the world is ringed by a giant wall of ice. It cannot be traversed and anyone who approaches it is met by resistance from a conspiratorial border patrol.

Stay scientific - government conspiracies aside, if one is going to assert it is there then it must have been observed somehow.

Hopefully, some flat earther  will fill you in on the details, but this is what I have read .:

There seem to be differences of opinion amongst flat earthers.

Some say it is a wall of ice 150 feet high. The circumference would have to be about 80,000 miles.
Some say there is land of an infinite distance beyond the ice wall.
Some say it is guarded by NASA agents. But since this is of recently, no information who guarded it before NASA.
Some say there was no need to guard it until recently.
No one has seen it except Rowbotham, who described it in his "Earth Not A Globe." Nor has it been photographed.
The ice ring seems to be based on the Unipolar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection, which some say is a flat earth map, with Antarctica shown as a ring due to the extreme distortion south of the equator.
The Bipolar Projection is even more distorted. It shows Antarctica as a continent. There is no ice ring shown. The oceans are held in because the water at the edge is frozen because they are so far from the warming rays of the sun.
Some say there is no flat earth map.
Some say there has been work on a flat earth map, but it has never been completed.

These are just a few of the things I have read. Maybe an expert from the FES will offer corrections or additions.
I am posting this in the hope of prompting them to do so.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:17:10 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:27:45 AM »

Hopefully, some flat earther  will fill you in on the details, but this is what I have read .:

Some say it is a wall of ice 150 feet high. The circumference would have to be about 80,000 miles.
Some say it is guarded by NASA agents. But since this is of recently, no information who guarded it before NASA.
No one has seen it except Rowbotham, who described it in his "Earth Not A Globe." Nor has it been photographed.
The ice ring seems to be based on the Unipolar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection, which some say is a flat earth map, with Antarctica shown as a ring due to the extreme distortion south of the equator.
The Bipolar Projection is even more distorted. It shows Antarctica as a continent. There is no ice ring shown. The oceans are held in because the water at the edge is frozen because they are so far from the warming rays of the sun.
Some say there has been work on a flat earth map, but it has never been completed.

These are just a few of the things I have read. Maybe an expert from the FES will offer corrections or additions.

Quite the list of disparate theories. Of particular interest is Rowbotham and his apparent witnessing of the wall. He wasn't stopped by guards?
But everyone afterwards would be.
Hmm.

Anyone care to elucidate?

geckothegeek

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:09:05 PM »

Quite the list of disparate theories. Of particular interest is Rowbotham and his apparent witnessing of the wall. He wasn't stopped by guards?
Hmm.

Good question. I haven't read any explanation for that. Maybe there just weren't any guards in Rowbotham's time ?
Rowbotham also said something like, "Beyond the wall is a land which stretches out to infinity, of darkness, howling winds and frigid temperatures." Maybe not his exact words, but something like that.
I am also wondering how he could see to infinity if it was so dark and cold with the howling winds ?
I probably should have stayed out of this. FES doesn't like for outsiders to speak for them.
FES...A little help, please ?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:39:08 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »

Hmm.

Good question. I haven't read any explanation for that. Maybe there just weren't any guards in Rowbotham's time ?
Rowbotham also said something like, "Beyond the wall is a land which stretches out to infinity, of darkness, howling winds and frigid temperatures." Maybe not his exact words, but something like that.
I am also wondering how he could see to infinity if it was so dark and cold with the howling winds ?
I probably should have stayed out of this. FES doesn't like for outsiders to speak for them.

Beyond the wall? I thought that wasn't possible.

And as I said before, the Knights of the Flat Earth are suspiciously absent outside the "no scientists allowed" zone.
They fear what they don't understand.
And as such, their cause dies in darkness against the onslaught of reason.

geckothegeek

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 11:30:56 PM »

Hmm.

Beyond the wall? I thought that wasn't possible.

And as I said before, the Knights of the Flat Earth are suspiciously absent outside the "no scientists allowed" zone.
They fear what they don't understand.
And as such, their cause dies in darkness against the onslaught of reason.

Well, paraphraising the words of Will Rogers, "All I know is what I read on the FES Forum and that's my excuse for ignorance."  LOL.

It must be true since Samuel Birley Rowbotham was the founder of the FES and claimed to have both a PhD and MD.
He also was "Dr. S. Golden , the inventor of an elixir guaranteed to cure all the illnesses known to man."........Or so I have read !

I wish someone from the FES could give us the straight truth.

P.S.-
They also deny and say anything and everything is a fake or a lie in any and every subject in which they have no knowledge or understanding and furthermore they don't want to be "indocrinated and brainwashed" into learning or understanding any thing "scientific."

I know this is especially true in the fields of radio and photograpny from personal experience on this forum.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:40:11 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Rekt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »

I hate it when I try to cross the Ice Wall then get assassinated by the UN SS Death Squad.

geckothegeek

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 04:57:11 AM »

I hate it when I try to cross the Ice Wall then get assassinated by the UN SS Death Squad.
And I've been thinking all along that  it was NASA ? .....Those old evil, satanic, satan worshipping pagan devils ?
......And, Oh Yes.....Nazis , too !

Also rather than believe that any one really believes the earth is some flat disc with a wall of ice around it, etc., I just view this website as " If the earth was flat, this is the website is for ideas about how things would have to be if the earth was flat."

As for the horizon if the earth was flat ? In the words of The King Of Siam, "  Is a puzzlement .?...! "  LOL
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:02:09 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 05:52:44 AM »
There's a huge hole in the theory leaking over here, guys. Somebody come plug it or your story really won't hold water anymore!

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
There's a huge hole in the theory leaking over here, guys. Somebody come plug it or your story really won't hold water anymore!

Please refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. Warned.

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
I asked this question on another thread. :
 Just what and where is the horizon on a flat earth ?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »

Hi there. Please refrain from off topic posting. You're stilling spamming the same thing. This is the only warning I'll give you, next one is a month ban.

geckothegeek

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »

Hi there. Please refrain from off topic posting. You're stilling spamming the same thing. This is the only warning I'll give you, next one is a month ban.

I would just like to get an answer. That's all.
It does have to do with the subject of the wall.
If the wall could or could not be seen if it was or was not beyond the horizon from some point on a flat earth ?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:29:18 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »

I would just like to get an answer. That's all.

That's fine. Encouraged, even. Just do it in the appropriate place. I was interested previously in engaging you on the topic, at least until you became insufferable about it.

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »

Please refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. Warned.

Pretty sure that counts as low content - are you going to contribute to the discussion or go on a power trip?
Watch, he'll ban me without responding to the question.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 08:34:53 PM »

I probably would.  There is an appropriate place to address issues with moderation, and there's a reason it's against the rules to do so within the middle of a thread.  Although if your only issue is that he didn't contribute to the discussion it's far from a valid concern.  As a moderator it's his duty to moderate appropriately whether he has something relevant to contribute to a thread or not.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 09:46:34 PM »

I probably would.  There is an appropriate place to address issues with moderation, and there's a reason it's against the rules to do so within the middle of a thread.  Although if your only issue is that he didn't contribute to the discussion it's far from a valid concern.  As a moderator it's his duty to moderate appropriately whether he has something relevant to contribute to a thread or not.

While Roundy is correct on all points, I'm very lenient when it comes warnings/bans.

Having said that, consider this another warning for arguing moderation. Take it to the appropriate forum. Contrary to your belief, Novarus, I wouldn't ban someone I disagree with. No matter how nonsensical, incorrect, or childish you may be acting. We have moderation guidelines that support free and open discussion, and I will follow them.

Please get back on topic.

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 10:01:41 PM »
I was on topic until you guys rolled around - The Wall is an unsubstantiated theory that has no observable evidence that any Flat Earth theorist can put forward.
The Horizon, as brought up by gecko, is in fact perfectly in line with this - With no horizon, the wall should be clearly visible in clear condiitons from the outer latitudes. The atmosphere's transparency or lack thereof would mean the horizon would fade out to nothing before we could ever observe a meeting point between earth and sky. Since this is not the case, the wall should be visible on the horizon.

Where is it?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 12:23:25 AM »
I was on topic until you guys rolled around - The Wall is an unsubstantiated theory that has no observable evidence that any Flat Earth theorist can put forward.
Where is it?

I'd suggest reviewing the FAQ, wiki, and searching the forum. It's obvious you don't have a grasp on the concept, yet you don't mind displaying your ignorance and complaining about it.

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 03:35:36 AM »
Where is it?

I'd suggest reviewing the FAQ, wiki, and searching the forum. It's obvious you don't have a grasp on the concept, yet you don't mind displaying your ignorance and complaining about it.

The first  sign that the wiki, the FAQ or the other boards don't stand up to scrutiny, the Flat Earth proponents respond with "well I don't believe what it says there anyway"

You can't have it both ways.