Offline Novarus

• View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2017, 05:27:45 AM »
How do your pictures prove that there is a 78,500 mile long ice wall surrounding the entire earth?

Do you really think that pointing out that he didn't do something that would be completely impossible to do is a solid debate tactic?  Try better.
Roundy, I hear that kind of tactic from FE people in almost every thread.  Any point made by RE and some FEer demands complete proof.  Look at the equinox thread thread that I started.  TomB, demanded that I prove that nearly entire earth experiences 12 hours of sun equinox.  He required data from every place on the earth.  He disregarded link after link that showed my claim. 

If there is an ice wall that encompasses the entire globe I would like proof of the milage and photo evidence.  I would like to see a surveyors coordinates and plots.  If you can't provide that then you are all spreading lies upon lies.

You all can't demand a standard from others that you are unwilling to hold yourselves to.

We don't even need complete proof - even a partia proof with some reliable dimensions that would open the floor for debate. Something even remotely plausible to support the theory - and no, pictures of ice shelves with no inkling of scale, no measurements and no co-ordinates isn't plausible.
In terms of scientific basis, the Wall has none - every flat earth theorists is petrified of proposing even a single set of dimensions for the Wall, because they know that the mathematicians will tear it to shreds.
Then again, under the tenet of Deliberate stupidity required to shun all opposing proofs to the Flat earth theory, they'll probably just end up carving a nice little recess in the ice to bury their heads in.
Bet it looks like a wall from in there too.

Until even one person can even come close to proposing and defending plausible dimensions for the Wall, it will remain just another weak link in the terminally fallible chain of flat earth theories.

As far as I can see, rabinoz, "half" is a very generous fraction to express the amount of story lackey, or any other flat proponent for that matter, actually has.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2017, 07:09:16 AM »
As far as I can see, rabinoz, "half" is a very generous fraction to express the amount of story lackey, or any other flat proponent for that matter, actually has.
Agreed, but I was using "half" and figuratively as in "Txxxxxxxxx, always seems to tell half truths", but I was being slightly more generous.

:P :P But you don't understand the "half" of it!  :P :P
Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
Place of the Conspiracy in FET
                      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    P1) If personally unverifiable evidence contradicts an obvious truth then the evidence is fabricated
    P2) The Flat Earth is an obvious truth
    P3) There is personally unverifiable evidence that contradicts the FET
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
        C1) The unverifiable evidence that contradicts the FET is fabricated evidence

P4) If there is large amounts of fabricated evidence then there must be a conspiracy to fabricate it
    P5) There is a large amount of fabricated evidence (see C1)
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        C2) There must be a conspiracy to fabricate it.
Now the existence of an Ice-Wall all around the earth seems to be part of Flat Earth Theory.
The Flat Earth is an obvious truth
The evidence against there being "an Ice-Wall all around the earth" is personally unverifiable.
Therefore The evidence against there being "an Ice-Wall all around the earth" is fabricated.

As is any other evidence against the Flat Earth, such as:
  • near 12-hour sunlight almost everywhere on earth at the equinox - have you verified it personally, let alone Tom Bishop?
  • the sun rising nearly due east almost everywhere on earth at the equinox - have you verified it personally, let alone all Flat Earthers?
  • upward sloping shadows from Mt Rainier - have you verified it personally, let alone Junker?
I could go on and on, but I think that you get the message, the crux being that The Flat Earth is an obvious truth.

Now, I have been told, months ago, that the relevant part of "the Wiki" is outdate and obsolete - but it is still there and we are still exhorted to
Please make sure to check out these resources to ensure that your time at tfes.org is enjoyable and productive.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
How do your pictures prove that there is a 78,500 mile long ice wall surrounding the entire earth?

Do you really think that pointing out that he didn't do something that would be completely impossible to do is a solid debate tactic?  Try better.
Roundy, I hear that kind of tactic from FE people in almost every thread.  Any point made by RE and some FEer demands complete proof.  Look at the equinox thread thread that I started.  TomB, demanded that I prove that nearly entire earth experiences 12 hours of sun equinox.  He required data from every place on the earth.  He disregarded link after link that showed my claim. 

If there is an ice wall that encompasses the entire globe I would like proof of the milage and photo evidence.  I would like to see a surveyors coordinates and plots.  If you can't provide that then you are all spreading lies upon lies.

You all can't demand a standard from others that you are unwilling to hold yourselves to.

If we could confine things to what's happening in this thread and the people commenting in this thread, it would be swell.  Whatever Tom demanded of you in another thread is irrelevant.  Is Tom even in this thread anywhere?  You are free to stop taking Tom seriously if he really makes a demand of you that doesn't make sense; it is your prerogative; we fucking all do from time to time.  Similarly, if you are going to demand something that is blatantly impossible, why shouldn't we conclude that you've stopped taking the subject seriously?  What kind of response is that supposed to engender?  Ridicule for making such a dumb request is the only thing that makes sense.  If you want to give up on the debate that's fine, believe it or not you can do so without conceding that you are wrong, that's also your prerogative.

But if you and your cohort are going to demand something so dumb, a response like the one I just gave you is the only one you can reasonably expect.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »
I'm just curious what means has been used to determine the conclusion that the wall goes 78,000 miles around the perimeter.  If it's not photos then some kind of measurement?

totallackey

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »
Here is a picture of a beach:

That picture does not prove that the beach is 78,500 miles long.

The Ross Ice Shelf is a known feature of Antarctica and is 370 miles long, which is not quite enough to encircle the entire earth as depicted on the flat earth map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Ice_Shelf  But it is long enough for someone to take pictures of it like you have shared.

Of course it does not, but are you claiming there are not 75,000 miles of beach on the Earth?

How could you possibly gather a photograph of such a thing being earthbound?

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »

If we could confine things to what's happening in this thread and the people commenting in this thread, it would be swell.  Whatever Tom demanded of you in another thread is irrelevant.  Is Tom even in this thread anywhere?  You are free to stop taking Tom seriously if he really makes a demand of you that doesn't make sense; it is your prerogative; we fucking all do from time to time.  Similarly, if you are going to demand something that is blatantly impossible, why shouldn't we conclude that you've stopped taking the subject seriously?  What kind of response is that supposed to engender?  Ridicule for making such a dumb request is the only thing that makes sense.  If you want to give up on the debate that's fine, believe it or not you can do so without conceding that you are wrong, that's also your prerogative.

But if you and your cohort are going to demand something so dumb, a response like the one I just gave you is the only one you can reasonably expect.

What's going on in this thread is that you and Junker keep demanding proof of our claims while offering none of your own, while bitching about the fact that no proof has been offered. It's metahypocrisy at it's finest!

We have all of mainstream science, modern technology and human experience on our side, with entire databases of photos and the testimony of thousands of people over dozens of years of exploration - the best the Flat Earth side of the debate has been able to contribute is a bunch of photos with no scale and a whole lot of arm-flapping butthurt posts about the lack of evidence we don't seem to be suffering from.
Now please, if you are so staunchly opposed to the idea that there cannot, in any way shape or form, be a wall of ice surrounding the populated lands of the Earth, be so kind as to offer any speck of proof that supports this stance.
Either that or recant it. These are your options. Another deflecting attack will be forthcoming, I know, but bear in mind that every sidestep makes you and your cause look weaker and weaker.

Numbers, my dear chap. At least give us numbers.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
How did you all figure out the wall went all the around the flat earth?

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »
Here is a picture of a beach:

That picture does not prove that the beach is 78,500 miles long.

The Ross Ice Shelf is a known feature of Antarctica and is 370 miles long, which is not quite enough to encircle the entire earth as depicted on the flat earth map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Ice_Shelf  But it is long enough for someone to take pictures of it like you have shared.

Of course it does not, but are you claiming there are not 75,000 miles of beach on the Earth?

How could you possibly gather a photograph of such a thing being earthbound?

It would be a possible although daunting task as there are about 372,000 miles of coastline on the earth (including Antarctica). However, no one is earthbound. Both your photos and mine were taken from airplanes which dramatically extend the range of view. My guess is that there probably are pictures of most if not all of the earth's coastlines, even if they are not all collected in one place. There probably are also pictures of the entire coastline of Anarctica, but many of them would not look like your pictures. Many of them would look like this:

You can see many more here: https://www.google.com/search?q=coastline+of+the+antarctica&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik7JuN0anTAhWO0YMKHbjTBh4Q_AUIBygC&biw=1496&bih=864#tbm=isch&q=aerial+views+of+the+coastline+of+the+antarctica&imgrc=aSDKr4oTD3An7M:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:12:16 AM by Nirmala »

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »
Turns out someone did make an aerial photograph record of most of the coastline of Antarctica: the US Navy.

Here is the reference to the collection at Syracuse University: http://researchguides.library.syr.edu/c.php?g=258096&p=1723711
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:11:30 AM by Nirmala »