The point is that the horizon is a known thing but there is no known explanation for it if the earth was flat.

How many times do you have to have it explained to you before you stop saying there is no known explanation?

Optical illusion.

geckothegeek

The point is that the horizon is a known thing but there is no known explanation for it if the earth was flat.

How many times do you have to have it explained to you before you stop saying there is no known explanation?

Optical illusion.

And how many times do I have to ask  YOU  ? LOL
Is there is a horizon on a flat earth ?
(Excuse me. But I have read one flat earth opinion that there is none and if you looked out to sea - for example - you would just see "an indistinct blur which fades away at an indefinite distance".  I would appreciate it if you would tell whether this is true or if I just got some bad information.)( I really would appreciate it !)
Where is the horizon on a flat earth ?
How far from an observer is the horizon on a flat earther ?
What is your method for estimating for estimating the distance to the horizon on a flat earth ?
Have you ever considered discussing the subjects of "The Horizon" and/or "Recovering (with a  telescope) a ship which has passed out of sight over the horizon" with a real naval person ?
What is your opinion of the information for estimating the distance to the horizon in the Naval Training Manual For Lookouts ?
Have you ever considered the thought that the earth is real , that it is a globe ?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:56:16 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

A drop of water isn't what I was referring to. I was referring to waters propensity to find its own level.

The water droplets show that the shape is determined by the forces acting on it. For a small drop of water, surface tension causes it to form into a small sphere. On the large scale, water is pulled towards the spherical surface of the earth due to gravity. There is no "finds its own level law" that would prevent water from naturally forming into a spherical shape.

The vanishing point is the place where level horizontal lines converge.

Equations please. You just said that "estimating the distance to the horizon is still possible on a flat earth". An example would be nice, with actual numbers and equations.

Yes !!!!!!!
Round earth equation and examples with actual numbers have been given peviously.
Need they be repeated ?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:03:09 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

Optical illusion.

The point of my continued persistence is simply that an explanation regarding the horizon on a flat earth has not been forthcoming on these points.:
Where is the horizon on a flat earth ?
What is the distance from an observer to the horizon on a flat earth ?
How is this distance computed on a flat earth ?
Can you show an example of how this distance was computed  ?
Can you show an example of the results of this computation ?

I will review the explanation for the horizon on a round earth to explain and why a similar explanation for the horizon has been asked.:
On the round earth, there is there is a curvature of the earth. On a flat earth, there is no curvature, just a straight line.
On the round earth, due to the curvature, there is a definite line where the earth and sky appear to meet. You may call this an illusion if you wish, but there is a definite line to be observed. On a flat earth, where would this line be ?
Due to the curvature of the earth, the distance from the observer to the horizon is known, and it depends on the height of the observer. On a flat earth, how would this be known ?

On a round earth , this distance can be computed by a simple equation which has been derived for estimating it :
The distance in miles (d) is equal to the result of multiplying a constant (1.22) times the square root of the height (h) of the observer in feet above the surface of the earth (or sea) . What is the equation for a flat earth ?

Some examples are these for a round earth are :
For a 6 feet tall person , standing on the ground (or at sea level), the distance to the horizon is about 3 miles.
For a person 100 feet above the ground (or above sea level in a crow's nest on a ship for example) the distance to the horizon is about 12.2 miles.
These examples have been made from those in a Navy Manual For Lookouts, and have been proven to be correct in day-to-day usage. Could flat earth supply some similar examples ?
With all the flat earth experts on this website, why hasn't one come forward to answer these questions ?
Flat earth should be able to supply the same information for all of these questions. Please do so.
Or is that just too much to ask of the FES ?
Or should we just conclude that FES doesn't have any answers and just consider the question of the horizon to be just one more nail in the flat earth coffin ?????  LOL
Might as well just write this one off, too, for lack of FES response ???? :-(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 04:25:01 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

You completely missed the point with your illustration

Sorry, I accidentally replicated the latter image. I fixed it

You're still not addressing the increased line of sight you still achieve with increased altitude on the flat earth.

Also you're neglecting the fact that when looking towards the horizon the ground appears to come up and meet the sky. Trying to illustrate how light is actually perceived by the human eye with 2 dimensional stick figures is not at all an appropriate reflection of reality.

There is no increased line of sight in the flat earth, it impossible without the curvature of the earth, and the stick figures are just an example. I'm doing these exercises that don't need long hours of math and calculations so that you yourselves can do these at home. All these are impossible without a round earth and yet we see echoes of the results every day. In fact, the Burden of Proof is on TFES to showcase evidence disproving decades of scientific research that can't just be explained away as a "conspiracy". Tell me, how much does NASA have to gain from releasing fake photos to "lie" to us that the earth is round when the average American spends more money on pizza every year than their yearly budget (27 billion dollars worth of pizza). NASA's FY 2011 budget of $18.4 billion reùpresented about 0.5% of the $3.4 trillion United States federal budget during that year, or about 35% of total spending on academic scientific research in the United States. These numbers are minuscule.

You say there is no increased line of sight on a flat earth... when I literally used your own illustration to show you that there is. That brown line is the line of sight. You can technically see objects that are further away than you could from the ground.

You didn't offer any mathematical or scientific accompaniment with your illustrations because you don't have any. You show us MS Paint sketches without any evidence that you have even a rudimentary knowledge how light or optics work.

TruthIsOnHere I haven't seen any "mathematical or scientific accompaniment" from the flat earth side in regard to the  horizon on a flat earth. I have posted some for the round earth. Flat earth equations, examples and figures, please !

In other words, I have seen no explanations for a flat earth.
(1) Where is the horizon ?
(2) How far is the horizon from the observer ?
(3) How would you estimate the distance ?
(4) Is there an equation for estimating the distance ?
(5) Is there a horizon ?
All of the ansfor these questions are known for a "round earth."
Until I see the answers for a "flat earth",   I will just have to continue to assume that there are no explanations.

I'm back and still waiting for answers.I won't debate. I just want to make some comparisons.

Thanks for the banning. Gave me time for more serious subjects. :-)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:12:38 PM by geckothegeek »