Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Private Space Companies
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »
There are two types of space companies. I will describe them briefly

Private Companies who work with NASA

Lockheed Martin, Grumman Aerospace, Computer Sciences Corporation, et. all... These companies are basically Temp Agencies who send people to NASA bases (maybe off-base in some situations) to do work under the supervision of NASA managers. The workers get a check from their Temp Agency, but receive their working instructions and marching orders from NASA. There are actually very few NASA employees. The only people who really work for NASA are the upper level managers and the security personnel. Everything else is temped/contracted out. There is generally no such thing as a NASA engineer or a NASA scientist.

This is what was Eisenhower and his administration meant by proposing NASA as a "civilian space agency".

Private Companies who do not work with NASA

These companies are basically throwing their money away for something that is not achievable. Maybe they can get to "space" for a small about of time, but certainly not into earth orbit, as it does not exist.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:39:41 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:49:27 PM »

Lockheed Martin, Grumman Aerospace, Computer Sciences Corporation, et. all... These companies are basically Temp Agencies who send people to NASA bases (maybe off-base in some situations) to do work under the supervision of NASA managers. The workers get a check from their Temp Agency, but receive their working instructions and marching orders from NASA. There are actually very few NASA employees. The only people who really work for NASA are the upper level managers and the security personnel. Everything else is temped/contracted out. There is generally no such thing as a NASA engineer or a NASA scientist.

This is what was Eisenhower and his administration meant by proposing NASA as a "civilian space agency".

These companies are basically throwing their money away for something that is not achievable. Maybe they can get to "space" for a small about of time, but certainly not into earth orbit, as it does not exist.
[Citation needed]
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:36:27 AM »
[Citation needed]

It's pretty common knowledge that NASA is very heavy on the contracting, just like the DoD is. Just look at any major job board and search for NASA jobs. Everything you find will be for a third party company.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:02:40 AM »
[Citation needed]

It's pretty common knowledge that NASA is very heavy on the contracting, just like the DoD is. Just look at any job board and search for NASA jobs. Everything you find will be for a third party company.

There's a federal hiring freeze, dummy. And even if there wasn't, I doubt NASA advertises on jobsgalore.com, as auspicious as that site is. I do know that they hire plenty of engineers and scientists (yes, they have their own) through university student internships/co-ops.

If only all those thousands of engineers, scientists, and their financial backers were as smart as you!

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:54:30 AM »
Kinda odd that SES didn't notice that their 52 satellites didn't make it to orbit, or Intelsat didn't notice that their 59 satellites went missing.  (Of course, Intelsat used to be government, so I suppose they might be part of the Conspiracy still.)

In fact, if orbit is not achievable, somebody should really tell ALL of these companies to stop throwing their money away.

Additionally, if orbit is not achievable I look forward to the explanation for what causes the observable and predictable Iridim Flares, since it obviously cannot be the fleet of Iridium satellites as we've been told.  And the observable (with more specialized equipment) and predictable transits of the ISS across the sun and moon.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:25:23 AM by Rounder »
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
There's a federal hiring freeze, dummy. And even if there wasn't, I doubt NASA advertises on jobsgalore.com, as auspicious as that site is. I do know that they hire plenty of engineers and scientists (yes, they have their own) through university student internships/co-ops.

Actually jobsgalore is an aggregation site which shows job postings from hundreds of job boards and classifieds sites. We can see the many contacting jobs available for Goddard alone. Goddard is hiring contractors as its programmers and engineers.

If only all those thousands of engineers, scientists, and their financial backers were as smart as you!

We don't have private space vacations or space hotels as of yet, despite constant promises since the 1960's. They don't seem to be smart enough. :(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:14:47 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »

Actually jobsgalore is an aggregation site which shows job postings from thousands of job boards and classifieds sites. We can see the many contacting jobs available for Goddard alone. Goddard is hiring contractors as programmers and engineers, not Civil Servants.

We don't have private space vacations, or space hotels as of yet, despite constant promises since the 1960's. They don't seem to be smart enough. :(

I know every notion of rational and logical motivational replies are COMPLETELY wasted on you, but ask yourself why space hotels doesn't exist.

Is it because staying on space stations taught us that we don't know enough about what extended periods of micro gravity environments do to us, thus limiting the progress of space tourism?

Is it because it's still so expensive to maintain life support in orbit that there's no customers for it yet?

It's certainly not because we aren't smart enough. Space tourism is indeed a thing, it's just really expensive.

By the way, I can tell from your previous replies that you're still ignorant on the whole physics area of rocket science. No wonder you don't believe in it, you simply do not have the capacity to understand or the mental health and balance to snap out of your fairytale. And yes, my replies to you will always turn out aggressive, simply because of all the FE'ers I've ever  encountered, you are the only one who's stupid enough to actually aggravate me.

I simply cannot understand how a man of your age can be this dense.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
We don't have private space vacations, or space hotels as of yet, despite constant promises since the 1960's. They don't seem to be smart enough. :(

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it sure enough was built.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 05:47:43 AM »
We don't have private space vacations or space hotels a map of the flat earth as of yet, despite constant promises since the 1960's 1800's. They don't seem to be smart enough. :(
Fixed that for you.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

totallackey

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »

Is it because staying on space stations taught us that we don't know enough about what extended periods of micro gravity environments do to us, thus limiting the progress of space tourism?

Staying in "space," for over a year does not constitute an "extended period."

Wow...

Your lack of thinking prior to posting is baffling...

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »

Wow...

Ad hominem, that's a new one.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
You may want to learn what an ad hominem is (and how it's different from just any personal attack) before you use it as a "gotcha!" way out of a debate. It's really ineffective and it damages your credibility.

As totallackey rightly suggested: think before you post.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
You may want to learn what an ad hominem is (and how it's different from just any personal attack) before you use it as a "gotcha!" way out of a debate. It's really ineffective and it damages your credibility.

I am glad I inspired both of you to comment things irrelevant to the actual topic. Howcome you have time for this? I thought you had a PhD to pursue. We need more quacks, so please get back to work.

I know perfectly well what an ad hominem is. So, if "extended period" weren't the correct term, and "long duration" had been more correct, a normally functioning adult brain would be able to read between the lines. It might even have been able to notice a language barrier. Instead, he chose to end his reply trying to offend me instead of actually trying to argue against the entirety of my first reply.

You Internet warriors are a funny bunch of people. Instant gratification and being overly privileged made real life hit you like a locomotive. Don't resort to simpleton attempts being offensive to strangers on the Internet. No matter how cool your warrior replies might actually be, you still lose.

It's just text on a display kids.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »
Howcome you have time for this? I thought you had a PhD to pursue.
Petty RE'ers always seem confused by this one. Yes, how come I have time to write a couple of sentences when previously I said I don't have the time to rewrite a long article? Such inconsistency, it's horrendous!

I know perfectly well what an ad hominem is.
Then why do you misuse the term so egregiously? What the chair is banana with you?

You Internet warriors are a funny bunch of people. Instant gratification and being overly privileged made real life hit you like a locomotive. Don't resort to simpleton attempts being offensive to strangers on the Internet. No matter how cool your warrior replies might actually be, you still lose.
Hey, look, an actual ad hominem.

Don't worry, honey. We both know our side is winning. That's why you're getting increasingly desperate :)

I know perfectly well what an ad hominem is. So, if "extended period" weren't the correct term, and "long duration" had been more correct, a normally functioning adult brain would be able to read between the lines.
Perhaps, and I would have a lot of sympathy for your little pity party were it not for everything that preceded your post, and everything that followed it. I'm sure others would, too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:40:09 PM by SexWarrior »

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 05:23:04 PM »

You do realize there are many more countries than the US with space programs right?

Do you have an opinion on the actual topic?

Actually jobsgalore is an aggregation site which shows job postings from hundreds of job boards and classifieds sites. We can see the many contacting jobs available for Goddard alone. Goddard is hiring contractors as its programmers and engineers.

We don't have private space vacations or space hotels as of yet, despite constant promises since the 1960's. They don't seem to be smart enough. :(

It takes technology longer to catch up than it does for someone to come up with a great idea. Look at Avatar, he started making that before Pocahontas and wanted better graphics, that was just a movie. We're talking about vacationing in space, it's going to take some time. There already have been people that went for a space vacation, though it cost millions of dollars. It's pretty tough to design a safe reusable rocket, space shuttles are designed for a single mission. They're pretty much building an airplane that can make it to outer space.

By the way NASA released thousands of photos from the moon mission, but I guess you guys will just say those are all fake too...

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »
Something something honey

Exactly this, kid ;-)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
Exactly this, kid ;-)
So bitter! Look, it's okay, your super-scientist-investigating-extremists-no-really-believe-me reputation can't really get any worse. Just look up the definition of "ad hominem", learn from this encounter, and walk away as an enriched person.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »

Exactly this, kid ;-)
So bitter! Look, it's okay, your super-scientist-investigating-extremists-no-really-believe-me reputation can't really get any worse. Just look up the definition of "ad hominem", learn from this encounter, and walk away as an enriched person.

Bitter? Heh, what?

Also, investigating extremists? I saw you mention this before, where the hell did you get that from?

totallackey

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 05:55:53 PM »

Wow...

Hey, Copernicus:

You were offering the point in response, as a possible reason for the non-existence of space hotels.

How does that make my response non-topical?

So, to recap:

1) I correctly interpret a manned "space mission," lasting for over year = "extended period."
2) I post a fact, stating you could not have possibly thought the issue through prior to posting.
3) You get butt - hurt.

Do I have that correct?

Yeah.

You are the one claiming a manned "space mission," lasting over a year does not constitute an "extended period."

You can go ahead and change the terminology to "long duration."

That makes the statement this:

"Is it because staying on space stations taught us that we don't know enough about what long duration of micro gravity environments do to us, thus limiting the progress of space tourism?"

To which, I reply:

"..Staying in "space," for over a year does not constitute "long duration.""

Wow...

Your lack of thinking prior to posting is baffling..."

See how that works?

Why not just admit you did not think your post through?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:09:19 PM by totallackey »