The Changing of the Stars
« on: February 16, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
Hello fellow FErs I have a rather important question that I have been pondering for quite some time. As everyone well knows when we look up to the constellations at night they change annually. I have seen several different theories that consist of everything from the four giant turtles that we are on the backs of who are flying us through space, to us spinning like a frisbee on the back of a single elephant. I would just like to know what the science behind it says.

Re: The Changing of the Stars
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »
What do you mean by the constellations changing annually? Can you elaborate?

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
By "constellations changing" I simply mean the location of certain groups of "stars" change places year round. Such as the fabled constellation "The Big Dipper" changes position from a northern location, to a more northeastern.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:32:46 PM »
Hello fellow FErs I have a rather important question that I have been pondering for quite some time. As everyone well knows when we look up to the constellations at night they change annually. I have seen several different theories that consist of everything from the four giant turtles that we are on the backs of who are flying us through space, to us spinning like a frisbee on the back of a single elephant. I would just like to know what the science behind it says.

I am of the opinion the stars have a set pattern which they follow from year to year.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »

I am of the opinion the stars have a set pattern which they follow from year to year.
But, why do the constellations that we see gradually change from night to night, finally returning to the same pattern after a year.

If you have no idea about the answer to a question, why bother answering?

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 02:41:09 PM »

But, why do the constellations that we see gradually change from night to night, finally returning to the same pattern after a year.

If you have no idea about the answer to a question, why bother answering?

I fail to see why my answer to the question is less legitimate than your response to my answer...

The gradual change is part of that schedule.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
It has to be NASA projecting different holographic images onto the firmament. When in doubt, blame NASA or ignore the question. Funny though, it works perfectly for a spherical earth rotating around the sun and being able to see different constellations from the night side facing away from the sun.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 06:57:11 PM »
It has to be NASA projecting different holographic images onto the firmament. When in doubt, blame NASA or ignore the question. Funny though, it works perfectly for a spherical earth rotating around the sun and being able to see different constellations from the night side facing away from the sun.

You don't see different constellations when you're facing away from the sun. Everyone sees the same constellations. The only way anyone sees anything different is in the southern hemisphere where they appear flipped.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 07:55:35 PM »

You don't see different constellations when you're facing away from the sun. Everyone sees the same constellations. The only way anyone sees anything different is in the southern hemisphere where they appear flipped.
For clarification one doesn't see the same constellations all year long.   For instance, those in the northern hemisphere get to Orion in the winter but they can't see it during the summer months.  Secondly, there are constellations that are visible is northern hemisphere that are never visible in the southern hemisphere.  They are not just flipped. Thirdly, there are constellations that those living just north of the equator can see on a given night but those that are 45* North cannot see on the same night.   

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 06:35:42 PM »

Everyone sees the same constellations. The only way anyone sees anything different is in the southern hemisphere where they appear flipped.

No, they don't.
The southern/outer latitudes have a different set of constellations that are not visible from the northern/inner latitudes.
In Australia, for example, an observer will never see Ursa Major or Cassiopeia, I'm the same way that an observer in Canada will never see Mensa or the Southern Cross (Crux)
There is also a second pole star, Sigma Octantis, that serves the same purpose as Polaris in the north - the stars appear to revolve around it over the course of the night.

In a Flat Earth model, these stars should exhibit disc-like motion, wheeling around a single point at its centre  (Polaris) and doing so much faster at the edges of the disc than at the centre.
This is not the case.
We see two halves of a revolving sphere from an earth-based perspective, each having their own focal point at their respective pole stars.
A disc cannot have more than one focus.