How do things fall?
« on: February 13, 2017, 01:01:40 AM »
Flat earthers argue that things fall due to density. For example, my shoe is denser than the air that surrounds it, so it falls down. The problem with this is that things do not move unless moved. Meaning a force must act upon the shoe for it to fall. Since this is the case, what force is pulling or pushing things down?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do things fall?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:01:12 AM »
Flat earthers argue that things fall due to density. For example, my shoe is denser than the air that surrounds it, so it falls down. The problem with this is that things do not move unless moved. Meaning a force must act upon the shoe for it to fall. Since this is the case, what force is pulling or pushing things down?

Why would you make a post about a position we don't even claim? Have you read the wiki or FAQ?

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
Is buoyancy a force?

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:22 PM »
Is buoyancy a force?
Yes.
In the air, it is always upwards and in a (near1) vacuum there is (essentially) no buoyancy, yet dense objects have almost exactly the same weight in a vacuum as in the air.

[1] I say (near) vacuum because otherwise someone will come along and claim that a vacuum is impossible and I guess that a perfect vacuum is not possible.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:06 AM »

Why would you make a post about a position we don't even claim? Have you read the wiki or FAQ?

If the earth is accelerating, then explain how things float, and fly. Also Eric Dubay claims the flat earth society is BS, and one of the things he mentions is how silly it is that the earth would by accelerating up.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 04:36:40 AM »

If the earth is accelerating, then explain how things float, and fly. Also Eric Dubay claims the flat earth society is BS, and one of the things he mentions is how silly it is that the earth would by accelerating up.

Things fly in FE exactly the same way as they would in RE. The Equivalence Principle explains how gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable.

Dubay thinks everyone and everything are BS and/or shills. I am not sure what point you are trying to make here, other than a crazy person doesn't agree with us.

totallackey

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »

Any object does not fall unless it is released to fall.

Once an object is released (the action), density takes over.

Why anyone claims there is no buoyancy is beyond me.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:55:14 PM »

I'm most curious about what defines "up" and "down," as far as the 3rd dimension is concerned

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:28:23 PM »

Because buoyancy is caused by a pressure gradient. The pressure gradient is caused by a force. We call that force gravity. No force => no pressure gradient. No pressure gradient => no buoyancy.

Offline Rekt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »

I'm most curious about what defines "up" and "down," as far as the 3rd dimension is concerned
There is no up or down, it is all relative, on earth "Up" would be away from the center of the earth, "Down", would be towards the center, although that's debatable also

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »
Does it really matter how things fall?

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 07:54:08 AM »
Does it really matter whether the earth is flat or globe shaped?
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »

That is the primary subject matter here.

I don't see why it matters what mysterious phenomenon causes things to fall, however.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »

I don't see why it matters what mysterious phenomenon causes things to fall, however.

We want to know why things fall down for pretty much the same reason we are curious about the shape of the earth and all the other phenomena we observe.

I think it is just part of human nature to want to know.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »

We want to know why things fall down for pretty much the same reason we are curious about the shape of the earth and all the other phenomena we observe.

I think it is just part of human nature to want to know.

Do people walk around all day racking their brains all day about what caused existence? Not really. You simply accept that we exist, and you should simply accept that things fall.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
Do people set up and join websites and societies where the primary subject matter is what caused existence? Not really. You simply accept that we exist and you should simply accept that the shape of the earth is what it is. Does it really matter?

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 10:00:29 PM »
It only matters for people who have to calculate falling things.   If a person  doesn't  have do that,  then one can postulate all they want.   They don't have to make calculations to solve a real problems or make life better.  The same goes for the shape of the earth.  The reality is for some people knowing the proper shape of the earth is absolutely necessary in order to make proper calculations for real life scenarios.     

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 02:04:22 AM »
Do people set up and join websites and societies where the primary subject matter is what caused existence? Not really. You simply accept that we exist and you should simply accept that the shape of the earth is what it is. Does it really matter?

I do simply accept the shape of the earth for what it is.

However, there are many people who should be more curious about the world. Round Earthers choose to disbelieve their own experiences in favor of media hype like dogs to the whistle.

geckothegeek

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 02:55:35 AM »
It only matters for people who have to calculate falling things.   If a person  doesn't  have do that,  then one can postulate all they want.   They don't have to make calculations to solve a real problems or make life better.  The same goes for the shape of the earth.  The reality is for some people knowing the proper shape of the earth is absolutely necessary in order to make proper calculations for real life scenarios.     

For example, if you have been in the navy or worked in a lot of fields (I could give you a long list) you certainly have to know that the earth is the globe that it is. That is,  if you work in the real world.
It's not "media hype". It's well known facts that have been known for several millennia.

I suppose if you don't have to know the shape of the earth in your jobs or interests, it would make no difference to you whether the earth was flat or round. In one of the Sherlock Holmes novels, Doctor Watson is amazed that Holmes tells him that he doesn't care whether the sun goes around the earth or the earth goes around the sun, because it is of no importance to him.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:01:58 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 03:11:52 AM »

I do simply accept the shape of the earth for what it is.

However, there are many people who should be more curious about the world. Round Earthers choose to disbelieve their own experiences in favor of media hype like dogs to the whistle.

And yet you join a society and have regular discussions about it.

I simply accept that things fall down and I think it's important to discuss and try to understand why they fall down.

What the shape of the earth is matters about exactly as much as why things fall down.