The CIA
« on: February 09, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »
It appears the CIA may have brought back the Flat Earth Movement, along with other implausible conspiracies throughout the years. It looks like the movement died out around the Space Race and came back shortly after 9/11. The reason to create these fake conspiracies would be to distract and make all theorists appear un-credible. What better way to push people away from conspiracies that might actually be true than to just create more, the more ridiculous the better.

What do you guys think?

Re: The CIA
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »
It appears the CIA may have brought back the Flat Earth Movement, along with other implausible conspiracies throughout the years. It looks like the movement died out around the Space Race and came back shortly after 9/11. The reason to create these fake conspiracies would be to distract and make all theorists appear un-credible. What better way to push people away from conspiracies that might actually be true than to just create more, the more ridiculous the better.

What do you guys think?

I think I want fewer layers on my conspiracy theory sandwich.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »
That's what they want you to think

Offline Rekt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
Give me evidence.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:26 PM »
The CIA would be creating competing conspiracy theories to distract from something like the truth about the JFK shooting. They probably wouldn't have an interest in creating theories outside of their scope, such as "Richard Branson is really Satan".

You would need to show how the shape of the earth falls under the scope of the CIA.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »
If they wanted you to think that then there would be actual "leaked" documents.
The only evidence I've seen are videos of ex CIA agents talking about it, but there are also plenty of videos of them talking about aliens and 9/11, etc. so it's not very hard evidence, also no way to tell if they are who they say they are.
The reason I posted it is because of the timing and it actually makes since. There is a clear motive, on the other hand hiding that the earth is flat there is no motive. Not to mention all of the evidence and actual proof that the earth is not flat. Why did the movement begin to get so popular a few years after 2001? There may be some truth to the 9/11 conspiracies, I definitely don't think Bush had anything to do with it, but possibly the FBI or CIA you never know. Or maybe its a completely different conspiracy they are trying to cover up, but the timing would suggest the 9/11 attacks. The timing of the flat earth movement and how big it got in a short amount of time even though there is absolutely no scientific evidence for it is very suspicious, really makes you wonder. 

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 07:58:37 PM »
The CIA would be creating competing conspiracy theories to distract from something like the truth about the JFK shooting. They probably wouldn't have an interest in creating theories outside of their scope, such as "Richard Branson is really Satan".

You would need to show how the shape of the earth falls under the scope of the CIA.

The CIA didn't originally create the flat earth conspiracy, what I am suggesting is that they brought it back to draw attention away from other conspiracies. As well as to make people believe that conspiracies are illogical so they don't buy into any other conspiracy.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »

The CIA didn't originally create the flat earth conspiracy, what I am suggesting is that they brought it back to draw attention away from other conspiracies. As well as to make people believe that conspiracies are illogical so they don't buy into any other conspiracy.

So who are the people arguing in favor of Flat Earth Theory? CIA spies?

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »

If the conspiracy within a conspiracy is true then yes, haha. There are articles suggesting agents posted or may even created forums dedicated to the flat earth much like this one to spread the "theory". I would not think they are still posting, because their mission is complete. A decent amount of people have bought into it and defend it, so there is no need for them to anymore.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »

Richard Branson is Satan? Thats why Tubular bells got to be the music for the Exorcist!
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »

They would only need a few seed shills to kickstart it. Not that I believe his theory.

Oh hey! Tom Bishop is back! Here is a thread that is relevant to you that you must have missed. Care to comment?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 12:06:56 AM »

If the conspiracy within a conspiracy is true then yes, haha. There are articles suggesting agents posted or may even created forums dedicated to the flat earth much like this one to spread the "theory". I would not think they are still posting, because their mission is complete. A decent amount of people have bought into it and defend it, so there is no need for them to anymore.

How could a theory be defended and bought into if there is nothing to defend and buy into?

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 02:11:33 AM »

How could a theory be defended and bought into if there is nothing to defend and buy into?

You are the one that has bought into it. You tell us.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »

People will believe whatever they want to believe, even if there is no actual evidence. Look at all of the different religions, or what is going on in the world right now and in the past. It doesn't take many to manipulate the masses.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:54:20 PM by phayes9891 »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »
People will believe whatever they want to believe, even if there is no actual evidence. Look at all of the different religions, or what is going on in the world right now and in the past. It doesn't take many to manipulate the masses.

I'm pretty sure those religions and theorists go to lengths to collect evidence for their positions. Look at the Shroud of Turin that the Vatican keeps. There is much more than words.

It is your job as a skeptic to weigh and consider evidence for your own self.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:30:31 PM by Tom Bishop »