Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Gleason's New Standard Map of the World
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »
For the information of Flat Earthers.

I had been under the impression that "Gleason's map is the New Standard Map of the World" was simply a version of the
"North Polar Equidistant Azimuthal Projection of the Globe".
It is certainly based on it, but was specifically produced by Alex. Gleason as his Flat Earth map.

I have a copy and the text on it reads:
GLEASON’S
NEW STANDARD MAP OF THE WORLD
ON THE PROJECTION OF J. S. CHRISTOPHER,
MODERN COLLEGE, BLACKHEATH, ENGLAND
SCIENTIFICALLY AND PRACTICALLY CORRECT
AS “IT IS”

You will note that it says "ON THE PROJECTION OF J. S. CHRISTOPHER" and is certainly a North Polar Equidistant Azimuthal Projection of the Globe.

Others may have know, but I have recently only found out that Alex. Gleason was a civil engineer who most certainly believed in a Flat Earth and
produced what we now call "Gleason's Map" is his version of the AEP map (as in Rowbotham's ENaG).

Alex. Gleason wrote a couple of books, "Is the Bible from Heaven" and "Is the Earth a Globe" that can be downloaded as one PDF scanned document from:

And this is a link to a 4773 x 6794 pixel version of the map:

But, I have no more information on "J. S. Christopher, Modern College, Blackheath, England" or of "Morden College".
Nevertheless, whatever his credentials, J. S. Christopher seems to have produced a quite accurate map.

1892-new-standard-map-of-the-world
The resolution of this copy is limited by Photobucket.

As far as I am concerned, all this does is to validate Gleason's Map as a Flat Earth map
                      - that was it's intention and it is really just a far more accurate version of the "Ice Ring" map that most people use.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Re: Gleason's New Standard Map of the World
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:57:28 PM »
This is the sort of resolution that scan of Gleason''s map has.

1892 New Standard Map of the World 4773 x 6794 pixels - North America extract

I don't think Photobucket will handle the full map without reducing resolution.

geckothegeek

Re: Gleason's New Standard Map of the World
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
rabinov
There is some information on this on another thread.
I received some information direct from Morden College

J. (Joseph) S, (Streep) Christopher was a resident of Morden  College , a charity organization of a home for retired merchants "who had lost their estates."

He was "...A resident of Morden College from 1875 until his death at age 89 in 1894."
Morden ( College used in the sense of the word " a collegiate type of organization ") was founded by Sir John Morden in 1695.

They could find no records of connections with him regarding map-making, nor any records with any connections with Gleason.
In his original application for admission to Morden College he only listed himself as "merchant".

"As a matter of curiosity, can you tell me which of the inmates of the College entertained the belief that the earth was flat ? Not Mr. Christopher ? "
(Letter, dated 1890, from a Trustee to the Treasurer of the Morden College.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:06:21 PM by geckothegeek »