stars in northern and southern hemisphere
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:53:55 PM »
I stay in Namibia ( southern part of Africa ). Read a lot comments stating solar contilation is completely different above equator. I also use to stay in south carolina  ( usa ) clearly remember seeing Orion's belt and the little dipper. Only difference here in Namibia Orion's sword points upwards and little dipper is upside down. Of the globe was round and spinning how could these stars turn upside down? Googled images to check my facts. Would like to get an better understanding of this.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Re: stars in northern and southern hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 02:09:11 AM »
I stay in Namibia ( southern part of Africa ). Read a lot comments stating solar contilation is completely different above equator. I also use to stay in south carolina  ( usa ) clearly remember seeing Orion's belt and the little dipper. Only difference here in Namibia Orion's sword points upwards and little dipper is upside down. Of the globe was round and spinning how could these stars turn upside down? Googled images to check my facts. Would like to get an better understanding of this.
Anything I say will be from a Globe perspective and I am no astronomer, so have only a passing knowledge of this material, but here goes:

Windhoek is about 22.6° south of the equator and South Carolina is about 33.8° north of the equator.

Orion's belt is only about 5° north of the Celestial Equator so at the time of year when is highest in the sky
         so it would appear about 62° up from the Northern horizon from Windhoek
       and it would appear about 61° up from the Southern horizon from South Carolina.

But I am mystified when it comes to the "Little Dipper", if by this you mean "Ursa Minor" that includes Polaris then it is too far north to be seen from Windhoek.

There is another star cluster, "The Pleiades", that we in Australia sometimes called "the Little Dipper".
But I can't imagine you confusing them. In South Carolina "The Pleiades" could appear close to overhead and would be readily visible from Windhoek.
while "Ursa Minor" would be much closer to the horizon.

The Pleiades star cluster, also known as the Seven Sisters.
This tiny, misty dipper is easy to pick out in the night sky.
Photo via Dave Dehetre/Flickr.

"Ursa Minor", Planetariom image
From The Children's Museum, Planetarium

"The Pleiades" is a bit like "Ursa Minor" but with the long part of the handle (containing Polaris) missing.

Best of luck.