geckothegeek

I have a question about these telescopes.

If they can restore ships after those have disappeared, can they restore the sun as well after it has set? After all, the sun is 1) remarkably larger than any ship, both absolutely and relatively, and 2) not claimed to be at or even close to the sea level, but a significant distance (whatever that is) above it.

The sun shrinks as it sets into the sea, first from a circle into a semicircle, and eventually into a dot, and then disappears. But if you use a good telescope – the same telescope you have used to see the ships – immediately after the dot has disappeared, can you then see the dot again, or better still, can you see the semicircle again?

Obviously you need to be on or near the shore to watch the sunset, the weather needs to be clear and there must not be any islands or something obstructing the view, but surely places like this exist within reach for most of us somewhere. Oh, and don't forget eye protection if you want to look directly at the sun.

That is an amazing question and could only be answered yes if the flat earth model is correct.   We have amateur telescopes that can see the rings of Saturn and the storm on Jupiter and we also have sun filters for same.  This issue can be proven.  Here is a link to said filters. 

http://thousandoaksoptical.com/products/solar-filters/

If the sun is down and you look west from the coast with a powerful telescope you can see the sun if FE is correct.  You may have to correct to the south a bit, right?  This should be possible hours after sunset.

Who is willing to say "Case Closed"?  I am willing to change my mind if this simple test can be done.

I would be willing to say "Case Closed" !  LOL
It can only be IMPOSSIBLE because the earth is NOT flat.
To anyone who is or has ever been in the navy, this old "recovering the sinking ship" is one of the greatest , if not THE greatest of the flat earth fallacies. Might as well say you could recover San Diego or Honolulu to view with a telescope when you are at sea halfway between them . ROFLOL.

Just an aside on sun filters and that "shadow object." Using sun filters, we can take photos of the transits of Mercury, Venus or even the ISS across the sun. We should be able to do the same for the "shadow object".....Unless it becomes magically invisible......???
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:11:26 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Oami

• View Profile
Someone has suggested using a welding helmet to look diectly at the sun.

As I said in another topic, I used to do orientation up to the accuracy of 0.1 degrees with the help of the sun while in the army. We had theodolites that had attachable solar filters, especially made for this purpose.

It's worth noting that while anyone can buy theodolites for civilian use as well, they don't necessarily have solar filters as default: the method used is needlessly complicated for civilian use, because in civilian use there usually are some fixed points available for accurate orientation (unlike in enemy territory), and apart from that there's just no reason to use the theodolite to look at the sun. So if someone wants to try this, make sure you use a solar filter purposefully intended for this use.

This silly debate just isn't worth blindness.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:13:32 AM by Oami »

Just an aside on sun filters and that "shadow object." Using sun filters, we can take photos of the transits of Mercury, Venus or even the ISS across the sun. We should be able to do the same for the "shadow object".....Unless it becomes magically invisible......???

I think that a flat earther would call a transit of the shadow object a solar eclipse.

geckothegeek

As I said in another topic, I used to do orientation up to the accuracy of 0.1 degrees with the help of the sun while in the army. We had theodolites that had attachable solar filters, especially made for this purpose.

It's worth noting that while anyone can buy theodolites for civilian use as well, they don't necessarily have solar filters as default: the method used is needlessly complicated for civilian use, because in civilian use there usually are some fixed points available for accurate orientation (unlike in enemy territory), and apart from that there's just no reason to use the theodolite to look at the sun. So if someone wants to try this, make sure you use a solar filter purposefully intended for this use.

I am a relative newcomer to the FES websites. I have only been here about 3 years. But it has just gotten worse and worse over that time. Most of what you get from FE's now are.:
(1) Ignored
(2) "It's fake !"
(3)  Insults
(4) Profanity
(5) Vulgarity
(6) And probably a lot of the other

I could give you some examples, but you've probably seen them all.
One had to with the distance from the earth to the moon and how the measurements were done.
But it is becoming an interesting website for the interesting facts posted by the so-called "globulists" , "roundies", "round earthers", et cetera, et cetera, and so forth !
In a way it has become educational and entertaining.

As I said  previously this old "sinking ship" is an example of your "This silly debate just isn't worth blindness." to us ancient mariners and navy veterans.LOL.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:34:33 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile

I am a relative newcomer to the FES websites. I have only been here about 3 years. But it has just gotten worse and worse over that time. Most of what you get from FE's now are.:
(1) Ignored
(2) "It's fake !"
(3)  Insults
(4) Profanity
(5) Vulgarity

One had to with the distance from the earth to the moon and how the measurements were done.
But it is becoming an interesting website for the interesting facts posted by the so-called "globulists" , "roundies", "round earthers", et cetera, et cetera, and so forth !

As I said  previously this old "sinking ship" is an example of your "This silly debate just isn't worth blindness." to us ancient mariners and navy veterans.LOL.

If they went by the mission they proclaim in the Wiki  "This website is dedicated to unraveling the true mysteries of the universe and demonstrating that the earth is flat and that Round Earth doctrine is little more than an elaborate hoax." it would be an interesting mental exercise in logic and reason.  Seems the FE'ers are not interested in debate.   I also notice bans seem to only go out to RE'ers from my limited viewing.

My logical questions go unanswered.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Oami

• View Profile
--

Simply being banned was not on your list, and that often happens elsewhere. You have been here 3 years and still are: that's encouraging.

Right, but just in case I wasn't clear enough, that was meant to be taken literally. For anyone who wishes to experiment with theodolites and the sun.

geckothegeek

--

Simply being banned was not on your list, and that often happens elsewhere. You have been here 3 years and still are: that's encouraging.

Right, but just in case I wasn't clear enough, that was meant to be taken literally. For anyone who wishes to experiment with theodolites and the sun.

I have been banned several times for various reasons.

geckothegeek

There are many sources of sextants, too, if you wanted to experiment taking sights on the sun, moon, stars, etc.

But.......Still waiting for answers.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:42:50 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

(1) Ignored
(2) "It's fake !"
(3)  Insults
(4) Profanity
(5) Vulgarity

If they went by the mission they proclaim in the Wiki  "This website is dedicated to unraveling the true mysteries of the universe and demonstrating that the earth is flat and that Round Earth doctrine is little more than an elaborate hoax." it would be an interesting mental exercise in logic and reason.  Seems the FE'ers are not interested in debate.   I also notice bans seem to only go out to RE'ers from my limited viewing.

I think this website would be just as interesting to me if they went by this statement.:
"We all know that the earth is a globe. But just think ! What if the earth was a flat disc ?   This website is for ideas on how things would have to be if this was so."

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile

(1) Ignored
(2) "It's fake !"
(3)  Insults
(4) Profanity
(5) Vulgarity

I think this website would be just as interesting to me if they went by this statement.:
"We all know that the earth is a globe. But just think ! What if the earth was a flat disc ?   This website is for ideas on how things would have to be if this was so."

Not me, I truly want to talk with people about the things they believe.  It's fascinating.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

geckothegeek

(1) Ignored
(2) "It's fake !"
(3)  Insults
(4) Profanity
(5) Vulgarity

Not me, I truly want to talk with people about the things they believe.  It's fascinating.
It's just too hard to believe that anyone would really believe that the earth was flat. LOL.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:05:17 AM by geckothegeek »