Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Suing other countries for acts of terrorism ...
« on: September 09, 2016, 07:51:08 PM »
... that their citizens committed without orders from the government.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2016/The-House-has-approved-a-bipartisan-bill-that-would-allow-families-of-Sept-11-victims-to-sue-the-government-of-Saudi-Arabia/id-c07a85509d814a3caa880ff8c3a5a30f

Seriously, WTF is this shit?  What do these people hope to gain?  Money?  Cause I don't think a US court can actually force another nation to give them money.  Especially for something like non-state sponsored terrorism.  I mean, what's next, suing people who murdered your family?  Oh no, being put in jail isn't enough, you gotta sue them too.

Oh wait, that's been a thing since OJ Simpson.  So yeah, fuck you Americans and your greedy, sue happy culture.  It's not justice, it's greed. 

And this:
"If we're not funding terrorist organizations and killing people, then we don't have anything to worry about," she said.

Oooohhh man, does someone not know her history.  We fucking FUNDED, TRAINED, and ARMED the Taliban.  So yeah, we totally fund terrorist organizations and kill people. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Suing other countries for acts of terrorism ...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:50:47 PM »
Well we have the petrol dollar arrangement with the Saudis, so freezing assets isn't impossible. Of course that risks tanking the economy, but who doesn't love some good drama.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:04:02 AM »
It's an election year, no one wants to vote against it. The Democrats want to take control of Congress, and Obama can afford to take a hit. So they let it go to him (and contrary to reports, it wasn't a unanimous vote. It was unanimous consent, which is different), then when he vetoes it and it come back, they narrowly repeal it by denying a 2/3 majority. Hopefully late on a Friday when the news cycle will flush it out.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »
It's an election year, no one wants to vote against it. The Democrats want to take control of Congress, and Obama can afford to take a hit. So they let it go to him (and contrary to reports, it wasn't a unanimous vote. It was unanimous consent, which is different), then when he vetoes it and it come back, they narrowly repeal it by denying a 2/3 majority. Hopefully late on a Friday when the news cycle will flush it out.
Yeah.

Meanwhile, all the people who think this is the best thing ever is gonna hate the democrats cause "Fuck them and their muslim loving ways.  I want my Justice money."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

George

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »
I mean, what's next, suing people who murdered your family?  Oh no, being put in jail isn't enough, you gotta sue them too.

Oh wait, that's been a thing since OJ Simpson.  So yeah, fuck you Americans and your greedy, sue happy culture.  It's not justice, it's greed.

It was a thing long before O.J. Simpson, and it's hardly a concept unique to America.  Also, this seems like a very strange subject to be morally outraged by.  You don't think that people should have the right to get reparations from the murderers of their family members?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:57:32 AM by George »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »
I mean, what's next, suing people who murdered your family?  Oh no, being put in jail isn't enough, you gotta sue them too.

It was a thing long before O.J. Simpson, and it's hardly a concept unique to America.  Also, this seems like a very strange subject to be morally outraged by.  You don't think that people should have the right to get reparations from the murderers of their family members?

I do, but only if the death is "legal" ie. no criminal charges are filed/it never goes to trial.  Also not if the person is dead.
And certainly not against a country that the criminal was from.  Imagine if I could go to Ethiopia, murder someone, then have their family sue the US government for my crime.

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:22:33 PM »

So the families of the pulse night club victims should be able to sue the US government? That's your position?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »

So the families of the pulse night club victims should be able to sue the US government? That's your position?

Hmm, they can already do that, actually. They probably wouldn't win, though.

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »
As in there is an actual legal mechanism that holds governments responsible for their citizens terrorist acts?  Or just by throwing whatever tort at the government and hoping it sticks?

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 07:03:19 PM »
Well we have the petrol dollar arrangement with the Saudis, so freezing assets isn't impossible. Of course that risks tanking the economy, but who doesn't love some good drama.

We have our own oil so I don't see why we have to dig up someone else's.
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »

We have our own oil so I don't see why we have to dig up someone else's.

It's not so much we need their oil, but the arrangement has the OPEC members only selling oil in US dollars, maintaining the dominance of our currency worldwide.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/23/495249958/obama-vetoes-bill-to-allow-sept-11-victims-to-sue-saudi-government

Obama Vetoed it.
BUT it was passed UNANIMOUSLY by the house and senate.  That's.... I'm pretty damn sure that's unheard of in the last 10 years.  So it has a real chance of being overridden.  Which would cause a big issue.

But on the plus side, it'll be Trump's problem.  And my god would the US get sued.