Rama Set

Re: Brexit!
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »
What the fuck is going on over there? Is Nigel Farage actually the biggest coward in the history of politics?  Who devotes almost 2 decades to a cause and then backs off just when victory is at hand because now it's too tiring?

I was totally dumbfounded by his announcement, especially after his ultra-defiant and gloating speech to the EU. How are his supporters, in the party and on the street, reacting to this shitticane?

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2016, 02:24:04 PM »
Farage hasn't really got a role to play now. The Brexit will be negotiated by the Conservatives, they're obviously not going to involve him in the process. UKIP got what they wanted and they were starting to turn against him anyway. They'll probably turn to their next priority, stopping gay marriages from causing flooding.

Farage achieved what he set out to do, so why not step back and take a break.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
What the fuck is going on over there? Is Nigel Farage actually the biggest coward in the history of politics?  Who devotes almost 2 decades to a cause and then backs off just when victory is at hand because now it's too tiring?
Remember: the Leave campaign never wanted to win. It was meant to be a political stunt that would elevate them to positions of power. "Victory" is the worst possible outcome to them, so they're all quitting before they start getting flak for potentially fucking over the country.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »

I was totally dumbfounded by his announcement, especially after his ultra-defiant and gloating speech to the EU. How are his supporters, in the party and on the street, reacting to this shitticane?

He is still an MEP, he just isn't the leader of UKIP any more.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2016, 02:43:45 AM »
No, unfortunately Dave is right. People voted Leave because they wanted to get rid of freedom of movement.

I'm sure some of them did. I'm equally sure 52% of Brits didn't.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2016, 08:13:37 AM »
No, unfortunately Dave is right. People voted Leave because they wanted to get rid of freedom of movement.

True.
Some voted as protest of government.
Some voted because they had no idea what it was.
Some voted out of nationalism.
Some voted because they think its better.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »
Correct, given that far fewer than 52% of Brits voted Leave we can readily assume that 52% of Brits didn't vote Leave for <reason x>. However, if we drop the cooltrolling for a moment, the reasons for people voting the way they did are fairly well-documented and public.

If your only response to that is "well I'm sure *someone* didn't do the thing", then I don't know what to tell you other than that your argument is not useful to anyone. It's especially useless given the context in which I wrote this post.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:28:35 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 07:52:45 AM »

Well we have just made a man that calls Africans "piccaninnies" and recited a limerick about the Turkish prime-minister fucking goats (in all honesty something similar not unknown in his own peer group) as our top diplomat.

WTFF !
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2016, 08:08:34 AM »
Don't underestimate Johnson. Underneath the façade of buffoonery, he's actually a very sharp, very cunning, and very nasty bully of a man.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2016, 08:44:37 AM »

Don’t mistake me here, oh ghostly one! I have no illusions as to the self-serving cunning of the man, but in respect to this thread the UK’s ability to make a rational decision, re dealings with the rest of the world/venal populists, must have sunk almost as low as the USA.

Everyone would love an Uncle with Tourette’s, but not a receptionist.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2016, 11:48:53 AM »
pasta!

TRIDENT is useless apart from making the Labour party look like pacifist weirdoes, one of Britain’s top generals has warned.

Experts increasingly believe the missile system has no value against conventional forces or terrorism but is 100 per cent deadly when directed at Labour’s electoral chances.

General Sir Norman Steele said: “All the Tories need to do is raise the issue then sit back and watch the devastation as Labour tries to be anti-nuclear, pro-nuclear and incredibly patriotic at the same time.

“As Labour starts arguing viciously with itself there’s likely to be an anti-Trident demonstration full of aggressive protesters and dreadful juggling hippies who instantly alienate normal people.

“Meanwhile, some Labour MPs will decide to support Trident because it’s the only way to appeal to moron voters who fantasise about nuking ISIS. They just end up sounding like shifty liars.”

He added: “It’s all a bit unfair really because everyone knows Trident is a huge waste of money. I’m only allowed to say it without being called unpatriotic because I used to shoot people with a tank.”

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2016, 11:56:37 AM »
Perhaps we need a general UK politics thread? This seems to be drifting further and further away from Brexit.

Rama Set

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »
What is the current state of Brexit?  Seems to have quieted a bit.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »
Officially, it's definitely happening, but there's no need to rush it. The government would rather take it slowly and get it right. The current plan is to invoke the process by the end of the year. Some speculate that this may turn into an endless procrastination, but it's way too early to be confident either way.

Personally, I agree with CGP Grey's guesses:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:41:29 PM by SexWarrior »