Brexit!
« on: June 21, 2016, 04:42:29 PM »
So the referendum is on Thursday, and I'm still undecided on whether to vote to remain in the EU or leave.

If you are British, how are you going to vote?

If you are in the EU, are you going to seek vengeance if we do leave?

If you are American, are you really going to turn your back on your old comrades from such conflicts as Afghanistan and Iraq, and refuse to trade with us?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:49:29 PM »
America cares about this?

Huh... didn't know we had a stance.  Figured we don't give a shit.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 04:52:43 PM »
Obama said he wanted the UK to stay in the EU and we would be "at the back of the queue" for a trade deal if we left. There was some suspicion that he was reading from a script since apparently Americans don't use the word queue?

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
Americans say "line" not "queue." He was most definitely reading off a script. Obama's entire life is a script.

In any case, what happens to the UK after the vote somewhat depends on what happens in the US. If the UK decides for "stay" (globalism) and the US votes for Trump (Nationalism) then that would hurt you. If the UK votes "leave" and the US votes Trump then that would help. Contrarily, if the UK votes "leave" and the US votes in a globalist like Hillary she would most definitely punish you as much as she possibly can. Keep in mind when the EU says the UK will regret leaving, they're not just saying the UK will simply suffer economically; they're threatening the UK with economic suffering. The EU will try to punish the UK if they vote to leave, so be prepared for that.

This vote will change the course of Europe and the US. It's just as big, or possibly bigger, than the US presidential election. I'm very anxious as to what the outcome will be.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »
I'm planning on voting 'Remain' with all the enthusiasm of doing the dishes - something that needs to be done because my world will be marginally worse if I don't.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »

I’m in. With the rise of neo-fascism across the globe (Le-pen, Trump, Putin) we need a united Europe and you can’t fix an institution from the outside. Plus Stephen Hawkings says in, and if it’s good enough for Davros, it’s good enough for me.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
I think the EU in its current state is a total disaster. It has no business acting like a federation and should be preserved for economic benefits and nothing more. Brexit might hurt Britain in the short term, but I think it will be better for Europe as a whole in the long term. EU needs to be restructured entirely and Brexit might just be the catalyst to make that happen.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »
I think the EU in its current state is a total disaster. It has no business acting like a federation and should be preserved for economic benefits and nothing more. Brexit might hurt Britain in the short term, but I think it will be better for Europe as a whole in the long term. EU needs to be restructured entirely and Brexit might just be the catalyst to make that happen.

Agreed.

I support Britain (and other countries, including my future home of the Netherlands) leaving the EU and remaining in the EEA for the trade benefits. There is no reason for there to be a level of government above national, let alone the cancerous one currently in Brussels.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 10:10:30 PM »

I’m in. With the rise of neo-fascism across the globe (Le-pen, Trump, Putin) we need a united Europe and you can’t fix an institution from the outside. Plus Stephen Hawkings says in, and if it’s good enough for Davros, it’s good enough for me.

Why would you let a physicist specializing in relativity determine your political stance?

Edit: http://www.forbes.com/sites/katiesola/2016/06/22/brexit-poll-shows-80-of-americans-think-britain-should-leave-eu/#23afee9062b6
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:29:21 PM by Rushy »

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:30:24 AM »

Why would you let a physicist specializing in relativity determine your political stance?

Edit: http://www.forbes.com/sites/katiesola/2016/06/22/brexit-poll-shows-80-of-americans-think-britain-should-leave-eu/#23afee9062b6

Voted! In.

He doesn't determine my stance, he validates it by coming to the same conclusions and as he reminds me of Wall-e he gives me a warm feeling when he speaks.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »
I finally decided to vote remain. I don't trust the conservatives to sort through all the legal ramifications for workers, they'd probably find some way to bring back serfdom.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

Exciting times ahead, first sets of results should start rolling in in about an hour
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 02:45:48 AM »
The pound is -7%
Market volatility is now twice as high as the 2008 housing crash.
Asian markets -5%
DOW futures market -2%
NASDAQ -3%
Banks (e.g. HSBC) are in freefall, HSBC currently at -10%!

Leave campaign currently at 51.5%. The markets are going ballistic. This is amazing.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 04:13:26 AM »
Remain has some serious catching up to do if this result is going to swing away from Leave.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 04:29:20 AM »
Leave is now leading by more votes than it requires to win. It's happening!

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 05:01:35 AM »
Leave has won. The UK will soon become a non-member of the EU. Rule Brittania!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 06:02:36 AM »
Holy economic collapse, Batman

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 07:12:03 AM »

Bastard! There goes the neighbourhood.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 07:44:24 AM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »
Boris as PM in 3... 2... 1...

(I hope not)