WHY IS EVERYONE BENT ON PROVING THE EARTH IS FLAT
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
Anyone who went to 5th grade in any country knows that its not possible for the earth to be a globe! All the so called scientists have never proven the speed of our "spinning ball! that we live upside down in some parts of the earth, distance to the sun, size of the sun! that there is gravity! this is the sma scenario as the king who wore nothing and believed he was in a great suit until the kid spoke out! Why are people so afraid of change! The shperical earth has no proof! people just got punished for saying flat and that was it! woof.. We had our spinning ball! no one wants to listen objectively!

Simple question! ARE YOU SITTING UPSIDE ON A SPINNING BALL?? Just lay down on your lawn and take a look up! for once trust your eyes! when science fails , u are to rely on your intuition

Thork

Re: WHY IS EVERYONE BENT ON PROVING THE EARTH IS FLAT
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:37:57 PM »
Nice intro, you are most welcome.

I agree, earth is flat. Your move roundlings.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:35:28 PM »
Anyone who went to 5th grade in any country knows that its not possible for the earth to be a globe!

I must be the odd man out.

All the so called scientists have never proven the speed of our "spinning ball! that we live upside down in some parts of the earth, distance to the sun, size of the sun! that there is gravity!

People have been measuring the size and shape of the earth for a very long time. Once you know the size and shape of the earth, it is a relatively simple matter to calculate how fast the earth is spinning based on the movement of the stars. Likewise, there is a long history of calculating the distance to the sun. Once the distance is known, it is easy to figure out its size based on its apparent size in the sky. Likewise for gravity.

this is the sma scenario as the king who wore nothing and believed he was in a great suit until the kid spoke out! Why are people so afraid of change!

As you can see from my provided links, this is not the case at all. There is a long history of people correcting the previous generation's poor conclusions and inaccurate measurements. Our understanding of the universe has slowly but steadily progressed.

The shperical earth has no proof! people just got punished for saying flat and that was it! woof.. We had our spinning ball! no one wants to listen objectively!

Ironically enough, reading through this website's debate threads will reveal many many proofs of a spherical earth, and very few proofs of a flat earth. And when has anyone ever been punished for saying the earth was flat? Laughed at maybe...

Simple question! ARE YOU SITTING UPSIDE ON A SPINNING BALL?? Just lay down on your lawn and take a look up! for once trust your eyes! when science fails , u are to rely on your intuition

Honestly, no, from laying on my back for a minute I can't tell that the earth is a sphere or that it is spinning. Sometimes first impressions aren't true.

Simple counter question: how do you know which way is up? How would you know you are spinning?

woof...

bark bark? arf!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:45:05 PM by TotesNotReptilian »

İntikam

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
Nice income. Wellcome.

It is more hard to explain the movement of the atmospher. You see the air is stable so the speed must increase when you travel to high altitude. But then the gravity decreases and the centrifugal force increases. So atm must  distributed to space. There is no way out for globe earth.

somebody has to protect their gain defendin the earth is a globe.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:38:53 AM »

Who am I to argue?
"Thus spake Dr David Thork!"
Yes, I know! It looks round and that's about it[1].
Mind you there do seem numerous things that simply do not fit the Flat Earth model proposed:
  • Sunrises and sunset are in completely the wrong directions - especially in the Southern Hemisphere summers.
  • The sun and moon stay the same size from rising to setting. They simply cannot do that with the model and explanations given!
  • While Venus and Mercury do transit the sun, no other planet can - why?
  • When Venus and Mercury are at their largest apparent sizes they appear in the sky near the sun (During the day or very close to sunrise or sunset. 
    When all the other planets  are at their largest apparent sizes they appear in the sky at their furthest from the sun (during the night).
  • The sun and moon go from being completely hidden to a full disk in about TWO minutes. No Flat Earth explanation comes near to explaining this.
  • The dimensions and sizes of Southern Hemisphere countries (on the UniPolar map) are grossly in error! See detail below.
  • "The Wiki" explains the Coriolis effect as "Wind Currents, The Wind Currents are put into gradual motion by the attraction of the Northern and Southern Celestial Systems, which are grinding against each other as gears at the equator line."
    This is rubbish as Coriolis causes anticlockwise motion of LOWS and clockwise motion of HIGHS in the Northern Hemisphere - how could this "grinding against each other as gears at the equator line" cause different directions of rotation?

These are just a few off the top of my head, but for me what caps it all is that the shape (dimensions) simply do not fit on a flat surface!
This thread gives my take on this: Measurements of the Earth Prove it cannot be Flat « on: May 05, 2016, 09:05:22 AM ».

In addition no map proposed as a "Flat Earth" map comes close to having correct shapes of continents and distances. The discrepancies are not small, but simply massive. For example (shown on the maps below) the West to East width of Australia is roughly 8,700 km on the "Ice-Wall" map when it should be about 3,700 km.

We are not fiddlng at the edges here. These Flat Earth maps are simply wrong!

These two seem to be the ones proposed as "Flat Earth" maps:

FE Ice Wall Map

FE Bipolar Map
On that "Ice Wall" map Australia looks like it does on the "Gleason's" map below, but I KNOW that Australia looks nothing like it is shown on the "Ice Wall" map, it DOES look as shown on the "Google" map. Yes, I live here, I have driven over and measured many of the distances here.

The so-called "Bi-Polar" map on the right above (which is no more than another Equidistant Azimuthal Projection of THE GLOBE, but centred on 0° S, 0° N) has far worse distortion! Just look at the shape of Australia in the middle below - it is just ridiculous!

Australia on Gleason's Map

Bi-polar map - Australia

Australia on Google Earth
Measurement   
   Gleason's   Garmin Nav
West-East 30° Lat   
   8,700 km   3,700 km
Cape Yk-Wils Prom   
   3,200 km   3,200 km
I can assure you the FE map (yes Gleason's is exactly the same shape as the "UN" map) distances are nothing like reality. Also, the dimensions of Australia on the Google Earth match all good maps I have found, and are quite consistent with my own measurements. And NO, I have no walked, ridden a bicycle or even driven exactly along that route! But, I has been from right on the East coast to the extreme West coast three time, including diagonally through the centre and back across the Nullarbor.

So over to you! Come up with a realistic map, answer these problems without guesses, massively bendy light and unrealistic perspective and maybe things might be different.

[1] Everything else that I have seen seems to be simply a failure to understand the Heliocentric Globe!

Errors & Omissions Expected (but nothing like as many as in the Flat Earth model(s) proposed).

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:31:51 AM »
Rabinoz, let's try to keep this thread a bit more focused on atrugeek4u's specific questions. If you want to counter his point that there is no proof for a globe earth, just provide links to the relevant threads. As good as it is, you don't need to post your entire presentation on the shape of Australia in every single thread.

You see the air is stable so the speed must increase when you travel to high altitude. But then the gravity decreases and the centrifugal force increases. So atm must  distributed to space. There is no way out for globe earth.

Intikam, guessing is not helpful. Try using actual math to calculate gravity and the centrifugal force. The centrifugal force is TINY compared to gravity, even at very high altitudes.

I just did the math for you in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:18:39 AM by TotesNotReptilian »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:59:07 PM »
Nice income. Wellcome.

It is more hard to explain the movement of the atmospher. You see the air is stable so the speed must increase when you travel to high altitude. But then the gravity decreases and the centrifugal force increases. So atm must  distributed to space. There is no way out for globe earth.

Apart from anything else by the time you get to an altitude of only 100 km (1.57% of the earth's radius) the air pressure is only about 1/2,200,000 the density on the surface and rapidly falls above this.

At the height you are talking about there is essentially no air to lose.
 The atmosphere is simply held in place by gravity.
An air molecule has to exceed the escape velocity to leave earth. Even at 9,000 km altitude this is still 7.1 km/s, so very few air molecules can escape.
Lighter gases (Hydregen and Helium) do escape quite rapidly.

I'll try to fill this out later, but on the atmosphere on the globe is quite safe (for now).

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »

What gain, exactly?  Who is 'gaining' anything from hiding the true shape of the world from us?  How are they gaining anything?  What are they gaining?  If 'they' are gaining something from the world's population believing in a round earth, why do 'they' allow this site to persist?
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »
Rabinoz, let's try to keep this thread a bit more focused on atrugeek4u's specific questions. If you want to counter his point that there is no proof for a globe earth, just provide links to the relevant threads. As good as it is, you don't need to post your entire presentation on the shape of Australia in every single thread.

Seconded.

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 12:34:55 AM »

Seconded.

I find Rabinoz's posts interesting and as a recent newbie here I had not seen the info in the post above presented so succinctly.
Personally I feel as though it doesn't matter how many times you present the correct spherical earth information and proofs to FE'ers they just don't want to know. They just say we are bullshitting, they won't believe photos or videos from ISS or any other space flight believing them to be CGI created by the bribed minions of NASA, they won't believe evidence of a ship going over the horizon, They won't accept arguments based on the differences in stars seen and their rotation, or the appearance of the moon and it's phases, when viewed from the northern or southern hemisphere, they won't accept any evidence at all.

The spherical earth explains every observation that we can make, yet the FE Model (I refuse to call it a theory as it is NOT a theory) explains nothing

But it will all be irrelevant in 10, 15 or 20 years when civilians can take space flights, FE will then be thrown out of the window of the lunar landing module and we will all be able to get back to living life !!! I can't wait to take my first space flight!!! And would happily sell up everything I own to have that experience (although I believe that you can book a flight now on Virgin for only $250,000
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:50:05 PM by Venus »
Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 01:52:03 AM »
Seconded.
OK, I was actually replying to
There are little problems of time zones and things that sometimes prevent speedy replies. I suppose I not only do I have to walk around on the ceiling, I should really synchronise with your time. Theses are just the difficulties one faces when living "down under".  :) I guess all that would change if I believed in a Flat Earth:)

But never mind, I will try to answer the OP concisely - mind you reviewing what I have written, I clearly failed. The trouble is each point our so-called "atrugeek4u" makes would need a substantial post to answer.
The Heliocentric Globe was developed over roughly 2,000 years based on the observations and measurements of numerous people and you try to dismiss it in a few paragraphs - clearly you are missing something.

Anyone who went to 5th grade in any country knows that its not possible for the earth to be a globe!
It's so easy for someone to say "Anyone who went to 5th grade in any country knows that its not possible for the earth to be a globe!", but not so easy to counter that in few words.
Yes, quite possibly! Though I would have said 1st grade, but then I have seen a little of the education in other countries.

It has been written: "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things".

Surely when we grow up should expect to understand these things better and see that the earth simply is not flat!

The earth looks pretty flat, and that's what ancient civilizations that never travelled far thought too.
But, why is it "not possible for the earth to be a globe"? You haven't told us!

Quote from: atrugeek4u
All the so called scientists have never proven the speed of our "spinning ball! that we live upside down in some parts of the earth, distance to the sun, size of the sun!
That is rubbish! Around the end of the nineteenth century the "Marine Gyroscopic-Compass" was invented to find true North, rather than Magnetic North, as in various forms is still widely used. "Marine Gyroscopic-Compass" relies on the earth's rotation to work. "Gyro-theodolites", also relying entirely on the earth's rotation are used in mines and tunnels.
There are now numerous very high precision gyroscopes that can not only accurately measure the earth's rotation, but detect slight variations due to the movement of the oceans (yes, a slight change in the centre of gravity of the earth minutely changes the earth's axis).

The distance to the sun was for a long time a difficult one. It was known to be a long distance, but was first measured after the distance to Venus was found. Clearly I cannot go into all the detail of this here!

But, the distance to the moon has been measured directly (ie not using parallax methods) by Radar as early as 1945, and later by Laser. The distance to the planet Venus has been directly measured by radar.

We certainly know exactly how fast the earth rotates and the distances to the moon, Venus and the Sun.

If you don't accept these measurements, then I would say that is your problem, not mine!

that there is gravity!
Really! But there is no way to answer this in one or two words!
Yes, there is gravity! and the evidence for gravitation there!

Cavendish and the numerous others performed measurements that directly measured gravitation.

Some have accused Cavendish of knowing the answer beforehand and quessing the Universal Gravitational Constant "G". But, he never set out to measure "G", but to "weigh the earth" - find its density.
Newton before him, had no way of knowing this density so he estimated that it might be about the same as the surface rocks - roughly 2,900 kg/m3.
This was all the information Cavendish had to start with. His result of about 5,500 kg/m3 surprised everybody,
but his results have been shown to be within about 1%. Not that bad for such a difficult experiment!

Of course once the mass of the earth was known "G" could easily be found, so Cavendish effectively measured the Universal Gravitational Constant G.
Now before you dismiss Cavendish (as so many Flat Earthers try to), just remember the value of G determined from the Cavendish experiment was within 1% of the currently accepted value.  You don't get that close by accident! His result was verified in 1873 and there have been many modern version done to improve the accuracy. 
There have been numerous versions of the Cavendish experiment performed since then.

See What did Henry Cavendish Measure? « on: March 14, 2016, 04:53:13 PM » for more detail.

this is the sma(wot) scenario as the king who wore nothing and believed he was in a great suit until the kid spoke out! Why are people so afraid of change! The shperical earth has no proof! people just got punished for saying flat and that was it! woof.. We had our spinning ball! no one wants to listen objectively!
No, I really think you need to look closely at what you are wearing (on get an innocent child to tell you).

You say "people just got punished for saying flat and that was it! woof" - please come up with a little evidence. People (including Galileo) were punished for claiming that the earth was "not the centre of the Universe". The "shape" of the earth was never an "Article of Faith" in the Catholic Church, but the Earth being at the centre of the Universe. Look at
Quote from: Steve Ray on JULY 18, 2014
The Magisterium Rules: The Debate is Over –  In 1820, Pope Pius VII decreed that there are “no obstacles” nor “any difficulties” for Catholics to hold that the earth moves.  Two years later, the Holy Office even decreed that there would be canonical punishments for any Roman censor who refused to allow publication of books supporting the motion of the earth. - See more at: Prepare for the Fringe Geocentric People

First impressions are not always the right ones. And in any case there are numerous things that you can observe just by taking careful note of your surroundings.

Maybe I was a bit "wordy", but go look in WHY IS EVERYONE BENT ON PROVING THE EARTH IS FLAT « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:38:53 AM ». Some of these you can see with your own eyes, others need a telescope etc.

Again I apologise for the length, but if anyone else can answer this sort of thing compactly, please tell me how!

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 04:55:37 AM »
when science fails , u are to rely on your intuition

You want some science?  Take a look at a thread that has gone uncontested by even a single Flat Earth supporter and let me know what you think.

I'm hoping that your '5th grade' comment is an allusion to the "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" TV show, and does not mean that you yourself have only gotten that far into your scholastic career.  The arguments in the thread I refer to will make more sense to a person with some high school knowledge, I'm afraid.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 12:45:12 PM »

Who am I to argue?
"Thus spake Dr David Thork!"
Yes, I know! It looks round and that's about it[1].
Mind you there do seem numerous things that simply do not fit the Flat Earth model proposed:
  • Sunrises and sunset are in completely the wrong directions - especially in the Southern Hemisphere summers.
  • The sun and moon stay the same size from rising to setting. They simply cannot do that with the model and explanations given!
  • While Venus and Mercury do transit the sun, no other planet can - why?
  • When Venus and Mercury are at their largest apparent sizes they appear in the sky near the sun (During the day or very close to sunrise or sunset. 
    When all the other planets  are at their largest apparent sizes they appear in the sky at their furthest from the sun (during the night).
  • The sun and moon go from being completely hidden to a full disk in about TWO minutes. No Flat Earth explanation comes near to explaining this.
  • The dimensions and sizes of Southern Hemisphere countries (on the UniPolar map) are grossly in error! See detail below.
  • "The Wiki" explains the Coriolis effect as "Wind Currents, The Wind Currents are put into gradual motion by the attraction of the Northern and Southern Celestial Systems, which are grinding against each other as gears at the equator line."
    This is rubbish as Coriolis causes anticlockwise motion of LOWS and clockwise motion of HIGHS in the Northern Hemisphere - how could this "grinding against each other as gears at the equator line" cause different directions of rotation?

These are just a few off the top of my head, but for me what caps it all is that the shape (dimensions) simply do not fit on a flat surface!
This thread gives my take on this: Measurements of the Earth Prove it cannot be Flat « on: May 05, 2016, 09:05:22 AM ».

In addition no map proposed as a "Flat Earth" map comes close to having correct shapes of continents and distances. The discrepancies are not small, but simply massive. For example (shown on the maps below) the West to East width of Australia is roughly 8,700 km on the "Ice-Wall" map when it should be about 3,700 km.

We are not fiddlng at the edges here. These Flat Earth maps are simply wrong!

These two seem to be the ones proposed as "Flat Earth" maps:

FE Ice Wall Map

FE Bipolar Map
On that "Ice Wall" map Australia looks like it does on the "Gleason's" map below, but I KNOW that Australia looks nothing like it is shown on the "Ice Wall" map, it DOES look as shown on the "Google" map. Yes, I live here, I have driven over and measured many of the distances here.

The so-called "Bi-Polar" map on the right above (which is no more than another Equidistant Azimuthal Projection of THE GLOBE, but centred on 0° S, 0° N) has far worse distortion! Just look at the shape of Australia in the middle below - it is just ridiculous!

Australia on Gleason's Map

Bi-polar map - Australia

Australia on Google Earth
Measurement   
   Gleason's   Garmin Nav
West-East 30° Lat   
   8,700 km   3,700 km
Cape Yk-Wils Prom   
   3,200 km   3,200 km
I can assure you the FE map (yes Gleason's is exactly the same shape as the "UN" map) distances are nothing like reality. Also, the dimensions of Australia on the Google Earth match all good maps I have found, and are quite consistent with my own measurements. And NO, I have no walked, ridden a bicycle or even driven exactly along that route! But, I has been from right on the East coast to the extreme West coast three time, including diagonally through the centre and back across the Nullarbor.

So over to you! Come up with a realistic map, answer these problems without guesses, massively bendy light and unrealistic perspective and maybe things might be different.

[1] Everything else that I have seen seems to be simply a failure to understand the Heliocentric Globe!

Errors & Omissions Expected (but nothing like as many as in the Flat Earth model(s) proposed).

The bipolar map cannot possibly be correct !!! Because in real life Africa is almost 4 times larger than Australia (3.93 times larger to be more precise)!!
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »

I disagree.  Earth is round.

Checkmate.

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 01:06:37 PM »
Anyone who went to 5th grade in any country knows that its not possible for the earth to be a globe! All the so called scientists have never proven the speed of our "spinning ball! that we live upside down in some parts of the earth, distance to the sun, size of the sun! that there is gravity! this is the sma scenario as the king who wore nothing and believed he was in a great suit until the kid spoke out! Why are people so afraid of change! The shperical earth has no proof! people just got punished for saying flat and that was it! woof.. We had our spinning ball! no one wants to listen objectively!

What proof does flat earth have?

Who was punished for saying flat?

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »

I did this ... at night ... and I was disppointed because I could not feel myself moving (perhaps I should have had more wine?? lol)
But this is what happened ... I could not see Polaris !!! Even though I looked towards the north ! All the websites that tell me I should be able to see Polaris when I look north ...
I spent all night looking for it and finally fell asleep on the lawn!

I woke up and then I realised ...
I'm in the southern hemisphere !!  Those damn websites are all designed for the 88% of the population that live in the northern hemisphere ...

Damn have to remember I'm one of the 12% lol ... I'm one of the upside down people  that has feet growing out of their head so we can don't have to walk on our hands....

On a more serious note... all FE'ers should travel down here... once you have lived north AND south of the equator there is absolutely NO WAY you can believe in a flat earth... it just does not explain any of the following
1. The fact that 'down' here (ie Southern Hemisphere) we cannot see Polaris, and many of the other stars which can be seen from the northern hemisphere, yet many of the stars that we can see cannot be seen from the northern hemisphere. eg http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/constellations-hemisphere-northern-southern-43823091.jpg
2. In the southern hemisphere the stars appear to rotate clockwise around the south celestial pole, whereas in the northern hemisphere the stars appear to rotate anticlockwise around the northern celestial pole (ie Polaris)
3. In the southern hemisphere we see a different view of the moon compared to the view from the northern hemisphere (https://i.imgur.com/ZPY5fvh.jpg and http://guanolad.com/stuff/moon_orientation.jpg)
4. In the southern hemisphere the phases of the moon work differently (http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/time/moon/hemispheres.html)

These videos explain the Pole Star Conundrum incredibly well !!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:12:12 PM by Venus »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 12:36:10 AM »
I spent all night looking for it and finally fell asleep on the lawn!

I woke up and then I realised ...
I'm in the southern hemisphere !!  Those damn websites are all designed for the 88% of the population that live in the northern hemisphere ...

Damn have to remember I'm one of the 12% lol ... I'm one of the upside down people  that has feet growing out of their head so we can don't have to walk on our hands....

On a more serious note... all FE'ers should travel down here... once you have lived north AND south of the equator there is absolutely NO WAY you can believe in a flat earth...

:P :P I don't have feet growing out my head! I just walk on the ceiling - much easier  :P :P

I just wonder how many Globe supporters on this site come from the Southern HemiSPHERE. There seem so many we get accused of "colluding" and being "sock-puppets". That's the trouble with have your theory correct, it agrees with all other supporters, while all  flat earthers seem to have different hypotheses!

I have travelled extensively around, across, up and down Australia and it's a dead cert it ain't the shape or size it is shown on ANY flat earth map.

The flat earthers must think we are idiots (yeah, a lot of us are a few roos short in the top paddock) to think that the Southern Hemisphere flights say from Sydney to/from Johannesburg or Santiago are not real!

And try to convince caravanners that GPS and Satellite TV don't really use satellites. If anyone thinks that the outback is packed full of phone towers they are stark starin' bonkers.

It's a bit hard to peddle the idea of a flat earth down here.  ;D Even with the Dual Flat Earth theory we would fall off the bottom floor!  ;D