Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Thork is getting a Swiss watch
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »
I have to agree with Thork.  Obsolete implies its function is no longer useful but it still works as a fashion statement and it does perform a useful function: tells time.  It may not do more than that but so what?  A device that performs only one function very well isn't obsolete, its just simple.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »
Is Hamilton a well recognized brand in the UK?

Thork

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 11:01:46 PM »
Not as much as in the US.

I'm aware they used to provide for US forces in the 2 world wars, but its not something British people really know much about. It is also a mid-range brand. It isn't Rolex or Breitling. People aren't likely to have owned one, (like casio or swatch), nor heard of them because they are an exclusive brand like a rolex.

I actually hadn't heard of them. I was looking at Victorinox watches (they make swiss army knives of course as well as Swiss watches) but I'd seen a lot of reports about them having ropey timings where the second hand doesn't hit the digit perfectly and that would piss me off. The hamilton actually has 4 ticks per second so it looks very smooth. I think Rolex have 9 ticks per second as a comparison. Most cheap watches are one tick.

Anyway, I was looking at other brands and yanks were raving about Hamiltons and I figured they looked cool so I got one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:05:43 PM by Dr David Thork »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 02:18:01 AM »
Watches are fashion accessories. Didn't you buy an ugly-ass hawaiian shirt for like eighty bucks?
You can also spend less on cheap booze and still get drunk just as easily.
Are earrings obsolete? They perform no function other than as an item of jewellery that looks nice. How is that different to a watch?

Try reading SexWarrior's post again.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:19:56 AM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »

Look at them, eschewing the norm and displaying 10:09. That's a watch with some fucking edge to it.

Thork

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »
People buy watches with happy faces. No one wants a grumpy 7:20 watch.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 04:09:28 PM »
I'm just saying, it's not displaying 10:10. They showed their unbridled commitment to being rebels. Damn impressive.