Re: what does the flat earth look like mapped out?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »

Do you want to take a stab at why that can be though?
I don't have to take any stabs. I know it's due to the stellar work of our community and similar groups worldwide.

Or maybe it's the decreasing prices on subscriptions that give you internet access and the coverage allowing more and more people to get online. All averages are on the rise, including the number of people belonging to the dumber segment getting online and a whole bunch of socially disconnected millennials voicing their opinions based on zero life experience

Also, NBA players, really bad rappers and Tila Tequila are in no way references to be super proud of.

I get what you're saying though. My question still stands though. Given the stellar work of your community, why is it that the number of flat earth believers is on the rise? (Citation/proof needed).

And if so, is it a tendency showing that people are seriously doubting the so-called school book science in a state of self-imposed free thinking or is it that they can't tell science fact from science fiction in general (no matter what the truth is)?

I would like to see numbers actually showing that the global flat earth movement is on the rise. My claim is that the ever improving technological steps making connecting with people online easier than ever is limiting the face to face human interactions to a degree that people lack actual social and communicative skill. A skill that takes time to learn. It might even be to a degree that makes people isolated and lonely and more prone to bad mental health. That would make any so-called science appealing, no matter how pseudo it is.

There's a difference in how many actually believe the earth is flat, and how many are verbal about it. My bet is the numbers havent changed at all.

Oh ok, idiots just found out about the internet, cool lol. Way to marginalize people you don't know or understand. Your broad, inaccurate assumptions about a diverse, worldwide community only show how limited your vision is.

Is that a creationist speaking? I voiced valid considerations and just like your peers you chose to target me instead. Every single time with you dummies, so fine, gloves off. For a person with no stance on the shape of the earth, you talk too much.

So: fact check the things I mention, and welcome to 2017.

How old is the Earth now by the way?
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »

Mr Andruszkow is dead right, and while the new FE tag-team of Pinky and the Brain would love to believe that an upsurge in interest in sites such as this is proof of a fresh flow of free thinking, the very opposite is true.

If 20% believing in something (the largest amount I could find to back the FE theory, in a poll of some Americans!) is relevant then Aliens have walked amongst us, Obama is a Muslim and Saddam Hussein is responsible for 9/11.

Less of free thinking revolution, more of an indictment of modern schooling.

Where are the maps?
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

No one infers a god from the simple, from the known, from what is understood, but from the complex, the unknown, and the incomprehensible. Our ignorance is God; what we know is science. Robert Green Ingersoll

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »

Mr Andruszkow is dead right, and while the new FE tag-team of Pinky and the Brain would love to believe that an upsurge in interest in sites such as this is proof of a fresh flow of free thinking, the very opposite is true.

If 20% believing in something (the largest amount I could find to back the FE theory, in a poll of some Americans!) is relevant then Aliens have walked amongst us, Obama is a Muslim and Saddam Hussein is responsible for 9/11.

Where are the maps?

Wait, am I pinky or the brain?

Isn't it interesting how whiny you people get when it's not a 10 on 1 handicap cage match, in your favor?

All Andruszkow did is display his ability to be a bigot, and also his ability to remember intimate details about people upon whom he left no particular impression.

Just because you probably use "science" as a verb doesn't make you more evolved, or cerebral. Intelligence has little to do with your ability to be misled. Good lies sound good to smart people.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 01:02:38 AM »

Where are the maps?

Wait, am I pinky or the brain?

Isn't it interesting how whiny you people get when it's not a 10 on 1 handicap cage match, in your favor?

All Andruszkow did is display his ability to be a bigot, and also his ability to remember intimate details about people upon whom he left no particular impression.

Just because you probably use "science" as a verb doesn't make you more evolved, or cerebral. Intelligence has little to do with your ability to be misled. Good lies sound good to smart people.

Is that so?

Everybody is so focused on what's wrong with this world in general (because media) that they forget all the progress happening. It's all about the western societies, which includes news and debates about war, racism, radicalism and so on.

Nobody talks about a successful democratic election in Nigeria in 2015 and the new competent government, only Boku Harram.

Nobody talks about the economic boom in India and what they're adding to the civilized world, they're only focused on them being neighbors with Pakistan and being a country eastern Asian radical Muslims cross to reach Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Nobody talks about the increase of world population leveling out (mainly due to third world countries catching up, spawning a career focused mindset). These news are not "entertaining".

Now, the western world is looking at an increasing suicide rate of young and a heavy rise in diagnoses like depression. We pump our kids full of medicine to calm their ADHD while the truth in many cases appears to be that we're just not geared to teach them the way the need to be taught. We're too busy with our careers and working our asses off to pay our mortgages.

All studies points to millennials and quite a fair amount of people in the generation before that having a severe addiction to social media and generally being online, on levels comparable to being addicted to nicotine. The average time at which they stay in the same job is decreasing and all quantitative questionnaires in those studies also show that they feel isolated and feel like they're under achieving, simply because they don't know what they want to do in life.

So while the third world countries are progressing and the amount of learned people in them are on the rise, the western societies are performing worse and worse.

You might consider me a bigot, but I come from experience. Sexwarrior got it wrong. I'm not studying extremists, I'm a developer and have a degree in physics (orbital mechanics). I've been volunteering in a workshop talking to and teaching people who lost their ability to fit in to put it mildly, for 9 years. Usually war veterans, teenagers or young who's been the target of extreme bullying or abusive parents and so on.

A lot of these people subscribe to some sort of conspiracy. Chemtrails, lizard people, alien abductions and so on. I'm not comparing these things with flat earth theory, but all studies say that isolation and trauma will make you more likely to subscribe to a conspiracy theory simply because the individual substitutes the reality they've been brought up with and failed to succeed in or adjust to needs to be replaced. This tendency is prominent in western societies and voicing new found beliefs and really connecting with peers (for some people, for the first time) is easier than ever because of the availability of Internet access.

Flat earth theory fits this bill, whether you like it or not. There's a major likelihood that subscribing to Flat earth theory (if not because of being uninformed) is connected to the fact that the individual is traumatized.

It used to be religion, now it's conspiracies. You might dismiss this, but you might also not be a millennial or close to being a millennial. You can call me a bigot all you want, fact is I have experience with actual people and while I'm not leaning towards far fetched theories or launching personal attacks as my primary narrative, you're calling me a bigot while defending flat earth society on a website claiming you've taken no stance about the shape of the earth. You're calling the fact that you are a creationist an intimate detail?

Everything that substitutes reality sounds good to ill people. So, what's your story?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:16:57 AM by andruszkow »
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 01:44:10 AM »
As seems to be the usual case on this forum,  this subject has gotten off the original subject.

So...." What does the flat earth look like mapped out ? "
Or......Question : "If the earth was 'flat', what would a map of it look like ?"
           Answer :    I haven't seen any answer ???? Or any map.

Question : "If the earth was 'round' , what would a map of it look like ?"
Answer     :  A globe.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:04:52 AM by geckothegeek »
Stick close to your P.C's and never go to sea
And You All may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Yes, Never, Never, Never go to sea
Just look out your windows,
Flat ! Flat ! Flat !
Is all that you shall see !

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »

Where are the maps?
Here are (a couple of) the maps. These are from the Wiki:

Flat Earth Ice Wall Map
---------

Bipolar Flat Earth
So we can partially answer geckothegeek:
As seems to be the usual case on this forum,  this subject has gotten off the original subject.

So...." What does the flat earth look like mapped out ? "
Or......Question : "If the earth was 'flat', what would a map of it look like ?"
           Answer :    It's one of the Ice-Wall, Bipolar or just possibly something else.
Quote from: geckothegeek
Question : "If the earth was 'round' , what would a map of it look like ?"
Answer     :  A globe.
Yes, with the Globe we have one known map that has remained consistent for centuries, with simply great improvements in accuracy since then.

But with the Flat Earth, no one seems able to claim a single accepted map, or even a rough continental layout.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »
Yes, with the Globe we have one known map that has remained consistent for centuries, with simply great improvements in accuracy since then.

For over three hundred years California was depicted as an island off of the coat of North America, despite many Europeans colonizing it. How is that constantly accurate?

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 12:50:28 AM »

For over three hundred years California was depicted as an island off of the coat of North America, despite many Europeans colonizing it. How is that constantly accurate?

Tom....are you serious ? Australia wasn't even on the maps for a long time. LOL. The globe is constantly accurate because it is constantly improved and accurate because it is constantly updated with corrections and additions.

You gotta show us a "Flat Earth Map" that is in use today for oceanic navigation for a start. What the entire map of the earth looks like on an accurate "Flat Earth Map."  The copy of the AEP won't do. LOL.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:01:56 AM by geckothegeek »

Flat ! Flat ! Flat !

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 03:24:14 AM »

That California problem is just a case of incomplete surveying. The whole earth cannot be surveyed at once.
But, I have never heard of any flat earth surveyors out there trying to prove that the earth is flat. In 140 years or so I haven't heard of flat earthers seriously measuring much at all.

I repeat, with the Globe we have one known map that has remained consistent for centuries, with simply great improvements in accuracy since then.

As more exploration has been done and with more accurate surveying, great improvements in accuracy have been made.

But, the basic continental layout has not changed.

Rowbotham, obviously based on nothing but guesswork, claimed that the earth was like the current AEP (of the Globe I might add).

Then the South Pole is "discovered" (it wasn't lost - everyone except a few flat earthers knew it was there and exactly where it was!)
and suddenly Zetetes pops up and makes an absolutely radical change in the continental layout to accommodate the South Pole, which was there all the time!
This change makes a radical change to measurements on the earth and we aren't supposed to notice!

But all the time the locations on the Globe are simply refined as more accurate data comes in.

It really is a case of "Would the real Flat Earth please stand up!", with four or more "continental layouts" and as many explanations for gravity - just which is it.
Yes, I know that this little society only seems to espouse a few of those.

Many flat earthers claim that soon the whole earth will accept "the truth of the flat earth".
I have to tell you that until you have a "flat earth" that has all the distances correct it's simply not going to happen and that is quite impossible.

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 03:41:42 PM »
I posted a simple way to make a flat earth map some time ago.
All you have to do is to get a large sheet of paper and lay it flat on your floor or drafting table.
Then  draw a circle (with the ice ring around it of course) to scale.
This would be an accurate map of a flat earth, drawn to scale, without all the continents filled in.
Next cut out all the flat maps of the continents, drawn to the same scale.
And then fit them in with the proper distances and spacings from each other.
Next, glue them down on the circle.
And there you have your map.
Be sure to get everything  to the correct size and shape.
Pay particular attention to Greenland, Australia and Antarctica.
Oh sorry  !   My error ! Of course Antarctica is the ice ring ?
Hint : A scale of 1 inch = 1,000 miles would give you a nice circle with a 25 inch diameter for a start.
Seems simple ? Why hasn't this been done ?

Although you flat earthers might have some trouble convincing the U.S. Navy that they have been using the wrong maps and charts for all these years. 
Advice  to flat earthers. Don't join the Navy. You might "see the world." LOL

Rabinoz I beg to differ.
The map would not be impossible for intikam.
It shouldn't be a problem for a genius like him.
It should be a cinch for him !

However, I think the Flat Earth Society is a little shy of the numbers of scientists, engineers and surveyors in their midst.
Especially without Sir Samuel Birley Rowbotham, PhD, MD.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:36:38 AM by geckothegeek »

Flat ! Flat ! Flat !

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 03:05:06 AM »
Until that is available the concept of a "Flat Earth" has got absolutely not the slightest chance of acceptance in the rest of the world.

[horrible formatting edited out]
As always, ruining the formatting of your post doesn't make it any more true. The concept of a Flat Earth is gaining popularity by the day, whether you like it or not.
So sorry for the delay, but I just noticed your little rant. I hope it makes you happy.

Though I do find your claim "The concept of a Flat Earth is gaining popularity by the day, whether you like it or not" quite a joke.

I have claimed numerous time that you don't have a "snowflake's chance in . . . . . (you know where) of acceptance in the areas that matter.
And, aren't the Flat Earthers the ones claiming that is not a "popularity contest"!

Those planning shipping and aircraft simply have to have a reasonably accurate map with accurate distances.
Navigators have to have accurate maps and the Flat Earthers do not have any. They can't even decide on the basic continental layout.

But is this a better version of that post (I added a few maps to help out), now you can shoot it down properly:

What about an accurate of the Flat Earth Map?

Until that is available the concept of a "Flat Earth" has got absolutely not the slightest chance of acceptance in the rest of the world.

The number of professions that need accurate maps and in many case implicitly use the fact of a Globe is quite substantial.
These maps must have correct distances, areas and directions.

At present all maps are based on the Globe. The dimensions and shapes of countries have been determined with increasing accuracy over the past few centuries.

It is important to note that modern maps based on satellite imagery and mapping do not disagree with the older maps.
I have been working with high-resolution maps of Australia and the USA that are over 150 years old, yet differ from current "GPS" maps by a fraction of a percent.
This is a small version of the 1855 map of Australia

Map of Australia 1855
That map looks exactly like current maps, and the co-ordinates of points on the map (to within reading accuracy) agree with modern GPS and Google Maps - funny that.
maybe those old surveyors were not so bad after all.

These old maps were of course created with data gathered by Geodetic Surveyors - and this is how they will prove the shape of the earth.

But, just what flat earth maps do we have? All I can find seem to be basically the North Polar or the Bipolar AEP maps, and Australia on those looks like:

1892-new-standard-map-of-the-world - Australia

Bi-polar map - Australia

Which of those do you suggest aircraft and ship navigators use for their navigation? Maybe you can come up with a better one.

Offline SexWarrior

• e
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »
Though I do find your claim "The concept of a Flat Earth is gaining popularity by the day, whether you like it or not" quite a joke.
It's okay, sweetheart. You don't have to like what's happening for it to continue happening.

I have claimed numerous time that you don't have a "snowflake's chance in . . . . . (you know where) of acceptance in the areas that matter.
Unfortunately, the things you claim are of very little significance to, well, anyone that isn't you.

And, aren't the Flat Earthers the ones claiming that is not a "popularity contest"!
Correct - whether or not we're gaining popularity is of no significance. Nonetheless, you made a claim about it, and that claim is blatantly wrong. So wrong, in fact, that even your RE buddies gave up trying to defend it.

Those planning shipping and aircraft simply have to have a reasonably accurate map with accurate distances.
Not at all. Mercator and North Polar Stereographic projections are among the most common in naval and aeronautical navigation. But hey, don't let facts get in your way. After all, you claimed that they must be using a map with "accurate distances" (which in your model would be a globe). Next time you see an aeroplane pilot using a globe for navigation, please let me know. I won't hold my breath.

What about an accurate of the Flat Earth Map?
Have you tried reading the FAQ?

Even if we accept your initial assumption that a map is not available (which, of course, is demonstrably false), your conclusion contradicts even the simplest of observation. FET is growing.

I have been working with high-resolution maps of Australia and the USA that are over 150 years old, yet differ from current "GPS" maps by a fraction of a percent.
That's very interesting. A fraction of a percent, huh? Gee, I wonder, might you be lying? Might you be terribly bad at it?

Which of those do you suggest aircraft and ship navigators use for their navigation? Maybe you can come up with a better one.
It doesn't matter. Either map can be effectively used with GPS.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:04:15 PM by SexWarrior »
<Parsifal> Jesus Christ
<Parsifal> Do I really have to write 6000-word sentences just to remove all ambiguity from everything I'm saying?

Where live, do the offer adult reading classes?

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
It is really useless debating with a flat earther.
I think their problem is that have little or no experience, learning or understanding about how things are in the real, working world. And if they don't know something, they just call it a fake.

Flat ! Flat ! Flat !

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 07:22:06 PM »
It is really useless debating with a flat earther.
I think their problem is that have little or no experience, learning or understanding about how things are in the real, working world. And if they don't know something, they just call it a fake.

Except that entire statement is completely shattered by what actually transpired in this thread. Reading is fundamental GTG.

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 09:24:31 PM »
The flat earth is gaining popularity. Whereas once I would've never thought it cross the youtube/internet barrier. I've recently come into personal contact with several in the real world. My problem is the whole shtick most FE'rs have where they pretend to want proof of a globe earth when in actuality nothing will change their mind. Not saying all of them are like that, but the ones Ive come in contact with are. The only flat earth "engineer" Ive seen was that brian mullin guy on youtube. Other than that, why is it that no major scienetists/engineers/physicists/astronomers are flat earthers?

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »
The flat earth is gaining popularity. Whereas once I would've never thought it cross the youtube/internet barrier. I've recently come into personal contact with several in the real world. My problem is the whole shtick most FE'rs have where they pretend to want proof of a globe earth when in actuality nothing will change their mind. Not saying all of them are like that, but the ones Ive come in contact with are. The only flat earth "engineer" Ive seen was that brian mullin guy on youtube. Other than that, why is it that no major scienetists/engineers/physicists/astronomers are flat earthers?

With all due respect to those called "flat earthers" - you are certainly entitled to believe in anything you wish.
But for those called "round earthers" -  it is not a question of believing. It is just knowledge, learning and experience that the earth is a globe. There are no scientists/engineers/physicists/astronomers who are flat earthers for that reason.

One more time :
Where IS the MAP ?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:54:36 PM by geckothegeek »

Flat ! Flat ! Flat !

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 02:53:33 AM »
There are no scientists/engineers/physicists/astronomers who are flat earthers

This feels like a fantastic generalization.  What evidence do you have to support this claim?
Electro-Theologist, Poet, Philosopher, Musician, Etymologist, Egyptologist, Astro-Theologist, Geocentrist, Flat Earther, and Collector of Rare Books.

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 04:21:37 AM »

This feels like a fantastic generalization.  What evidence do you have to support this claim?

What evidence do you have that there are any ?

Flat ! Flat ! Flat !

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 05:20:49 AM »

I don't recall making a claim... surely you can back your claim up with evidence.
Electro-Theologist, Poet, Philosopher, Musician, Etymologist, Egyptologist, Astro-Theologist, Geocentrist, Flat Earther, and Collector of Rare Books.

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »

I don't recall making a claim... surely you can back your claim up with evidence.

You're going to go round and round and round with gecko until the conversation goes flat. I see why he likes to spend a lot of time chastising people over the roundness or flatness of the planet.