Offline EarthIsntFlat

• I have yet to get the good proof I need for
    • View Profile
what does the flat earth look like mapped out?
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
If my name triggers you that's the point, but it doesn't mean I don't want to learn about this theory, so can someone please explain or link me what the flat earth would look like mapped out? or even better yet from space
SS

Re: what does the flat earth look like mapped out?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:25:12 PM »
Your username is just one of about two dozen mundane, unimaginative, close-minded just like it. You come here with your opinion set in stone and expect someone to chip and chisel it away for you because they obviously have nothing better to do. Good luck with that.

Offline UnionsOfSolarSystemPlanet

• The Moon orbits spherical Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:40:53 PM »
We the spherical Earthlings have mapped the Earth for more than a millennium and it these map in large scale is inconsistent when projected 2 dimensional.
Look at the similar thread http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=4751.0
The size of the Solar system if the Moon were only 1 pixel:
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 03:22:14 AM »
If my name triggers you that's the point, but it doesn't mean I don't want to learn about this theory, so can someone please explain or link me what the flat earth would look like mapped out? or even better yet from space

There is no flat earth  map according to some flat earthers.
Some say is a flat  disc map centered on the North Pole. However, this map, which some flat earthers say is the flat earth map, is actually the Unipolar  Azimuthal Equidistant  Projection of the globe.It is very distorted south of the equator. Australia is shown about twice its actual width.
There is also Gleason's Map which is - Quote - "The True Map Of The World  "- Unqote. It is also a copy of the projection previously mentioned.
Same for  Middleton's Map.
There is Bipolar Map whiçh is also a copy of ànother projection.

Thère are also some opinions that there is nothing that qualifies to  be called flat earth theory. Just ideas.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:27:49 AM by geckothegeek »
Stick close to your P.C's and never go to sea
And You All may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Yes, Never, Never, Never go to sea
Just look out your windows,
Flat ! Flat ! Flat !
Is all that you shall see !

Offline EarthIsntFlat

• I have yet to get the good proof I need for
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
Your username is just one of about two dozen mundane, unimaginative, close-minded just like it. You come here with your opinion set in stone and expect someone to chip and chisel it away for you because they obviously have nothing better to do. Good luck with that.
my user name is to trigger people like you, thank you for contributing
SS

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »

This approach makes us very disinclined to having a dialogue. Like TheTruthIsOnHere said, there is nothing unique about your name and if it were just that, I doubt it would "trigger" anyone. It's more your tone that is off putting. Imagine you walk into a Biology class with a shirt on that says "Evolution isn't real" and say to the professor, "If my shirt triggers you that's the point, but it doesn't mean I don't want to learn about this theory..." How inclined do you suppose the professor is going to be to acquiesce to your, frankly rude, behavior?

Now imagine that the professor isn't getting paid to teach you. Imagine it's just a biology buff or someone with absolutely no vested interest in your education. How inclined do you suppose they are going to be when your stated purpose is to "trigger" them?

More bees with honey and that sort of thing, ya know?

Offline nametaken

• ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 02:48:57 AM »
ITT mouth breathers and people offering tic tacs
The Flat Earth Society has members all around the Globe
[H]ominem unius libri timeo ~Truth is stranger.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 09:09:03 AM »

Has anybody noticed that the thread is "what does the flat earth look like mapped out?". What about an accurate of the Flat Earth Map?
Until that is available the concept of a "Flat Earth" has got absolutely not the slightest chance of acceptance in the rest of the world.
The number of professions that need accurate maps and in many case implicitly use the fact of a Globe is quite substantial.
These maps must have correct distances, areas and directions.
At present all maps are based on the Globe. The dimensions and shapes of countries have been determined with increasing accuracy over the past few centuries.

It is important to note that modern maps based on satellite imagery and mapping do not disagree with the older maps.
I have been working with high resolution maps of Australia and the USA that are over 150 years old, yet differ from current "GPS" maps by a fraction of a percent.
These old maps maps were of course created with data gathered by Geodeteic Surveyors - and this is how they will prove the shape of the earth.

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 03:29:04 PM »
So instead of discussing the FE map, this thread is more investing in castigating the OP because of his screen name?

What about the map?

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:54:26 AM »
Opening this again...Since...?. We still have no accurate flat earth map of the entire earth.
But it seems as if it would be a simple task to make such a map, if even on  paper.
First, draw a circle 25,000 miles in diameter. A scale of 1 inch equal to 1,000 miles would be a sugestion.
This would give you a circle 25 inches in diameter. This would be an accurate map of the outline of the entire earth.
Then get flat maps of all the continents drawn to the same scale with their correct sizes and shapes.
For two examples, Greenland is distorted on the Mercator Projection of the globe ; Australia and Antarctica are distorted on the Unipolar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection of the globe. Accurate "flat maps" of these exist. Use them for making this flat earth map.
Then arrange them on this 25 inch circle so they fit properly with all the distances between them being correct.
They should all fit together nicely , that would be your map, and that would prove the earth was flat.
This looks like a simple project, even for an elementary school class.
Why hasn't this been done ? This should be a prime project for a "Flat Earth Society Map Making Committee."
If I was a member of The Flat Earth Society I would nominate Tom Bishop to head up the committee.
......But I'm just a Round Earther "outsider" and this was just a friendly suggestion to clear up the map question.
It would be interesting to see if TFES takes it up and see the results.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:07:33 AM by geckothegeek »

Flat ! Flat ! Flat !

Offline SexWarrior

• e
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »
Until that is available the concept of a "Flat Earth" has got absolutely not the slightest chance of acceptance in the rest of the world.

[horrible formatting edited out]
As always, ruining the formatting of your post doesn't make it any more true. The concept of a Flat Earth is gaining popularity by the day, whether you like it or not.
<Parsifal> Jesus Christ
<Parsifal> Do I really have to write 6000-word sentences just to remove all ambiguity from everything I'm saying?

Where live, do the offer adult reading classes?

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

As always, ruining the formatting of your post doesn't make it any more true. The concept of a Flat Earth is gaining popularity by the day, whether you like it or not.
Do you want to take a stab at why that can be though?
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline SexWarrior

• e
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
I don't have to take any stabs. I know it's due to the stellar work of our community and similar groups worldwide.
<Parsifal> Jesus Christ
<Parsifal> Do I really have to write 6000-word sentences just to remove all ambiguity from everything I'm saying?

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »

I think maybe flat earth is gaining popularity because of the curiosity of most people on an idea which is a curious concept to most people.

But we are still waiting to see what the flat earth looks like when it is mapped out ?
 Seems to be still on hold ?
Also it seems like it would be as simple as drawing a circular floor plan of a circular house ?
I'm sort of an amateur (I'm not a genius like sceptimatic) architect and I drew a floor plan of a geodesic dome building which is close to being  a circle (it had 10 sides).
Just drawing a circular floor plan of the circular but flat earth. (disc shaped) ?

I outlined my idea of how to make a flat earth map in my previous post.
All you need is a sheet of paper with a 25 inch circle drawn on it, some cutouts of all the continents drawn to a scale of 1 inch equals 1000 miles and of the proper shape (be careful to get Greenland, Antarctica and Australia correct) and some paper paste or glue.Then fit them in their proper places and glue them. And there's your flat earth mapped out !
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:45:32 PM by geckothegeek »

Flat ! Flat ! Flat !

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »

Has anybody noticed that the thread is "what does the flat earth look like mapped out?". What about an accurate of the Flat Earth Map?
The number of professions that need accurate maps and in many case implicitly use the fact of a Globe is quite substantial.
These maps must have correct distances, areas and directions.
At present all maps are based on the Globe. The dimensions and shapes of countries have been determined with increasing accuracy over the past few centuries.

It is important to note that modern maps based on satellite imagery and mapping do not disagree with the older maps.
I have been working with high resolution maps of Australia and the USA that are over 150 years old, yet differ from current "GPS" maps by a fraction of a percent.
These old maps maps were of course created with data gathered by Geodeteic Surveyors - and this is how they will prove the shape of the earth.

Most ships have "Chart Rooms" with cabinets with a lot of drawers  containing a lot of "flat maps."
 But they are called "charts" and all of them were made from projections of a globe.
If the earth was flat there would be no need for "projections".....

If you have ever watched any of those old "Titanic" movies, they were using those charts to plot the locations of those icebergs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:08:01 PM by geckothegeek »

Flat ! Flat ! Flat !

Offline SexWarrior

• e
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »
But we are still waiting to see what the flat earth looks like when it is mapped out ?
Also it seems like it would be as simple as drawing a circular floor plan of a circular house ?
I'm sort of an amateur (I'm not a genius like sceptimatic) architect and I drew a floor plan of a geodesic dome building which is close to being  a circle (it had 10 sides).
Just drawing a circular floor plan of the circular but flat earth. (disc shaped) ?
Have you considered reading the FAQ yet? You've been here awhile.
<Parsifal> Jesus Christ

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »
Have you considered reading the FAQ yet? You've been here awhile.

He's been here a long, long while to having not made one single valid contribution to a conversation, hasn't he?

Offline SexWarrior

• e
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 08:51:50 PM »
He's been here a long, long while to having not made one single valid contribution to a conversation, hasn't he?
Yeah...
<Parsifal> Jesus Christ

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 11:24:51 PM »
I don't have to take any stabs. I know it's due to the stellar work of our community and similar groups worldwide.

Or maybe it's the decreasing prices on subscriptions that give you internet access and the coverage allowing more and more people to get online. All averages are on the rise, including the number of people belonging to the dumber segment getting online and a whole bunch of socially disconnected millennials voicing their opinions based on zero life experience

Also, NBA players, really bad rappers and Tila Tequila are in no way references to be super proud of.

I get what you're saying though. My question still stands though. Given the stellar work of your community, why is it that the number of flat earth believers is on the rise? (Citation/proof needed).

And if so, is it a tendency showing that people are seriously doubting the so-called school book science in a state of self-imposed free thinking or is it that they can't tell science fact from science fiction in general (no matter what the truth is)?

I would like to see numbers actually showing that the global flat earth movement is on the rise. My claim is that the ever improving technological steps making connecting with people online easier than ever is limiting the face to face human interactions to a degree that people lack actual social and communicative skill. A skill that takes time to learn. It might even be to a degree that makes people isolated and lonely and more prone to bad mental health. That would make any so-called science appealing, no matter how pseudo it is.

There's a difference in how many actually believe the earth is flat, and how many are verbal about it. My bet is the numbers havent changed at all.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »

Or maybe it's the decreasing prices on subscriptions that give you internet access and the coverage allowing more and more people to get online. All averages are on the rise, including the number of people belonging to the dumber segment getting online and a whole bunch of socially disconnected millennials voicing their opinions based on zero life experience

Also, NBA players, really bad rappers and Tila Tequila are in no way references to be super proud of.

I get what you're saying though. My question still stands though. Given the stellar work of your community, why is it that the number of flat earth believers is on the rise? (Citation/proof needed).

And if so, is it a tendency showing that people are seriously doubting the so-called school book science in a state of self-imposed free thinking or is it that they can't tell science fact from science fiction in general (no matter what the truth is)?

I would like to see numbers actually showing that the global flat earth movement is on the rise. My claim is that the ever improving technological steps making connecting with people online easier than ever is limiting the face to face human interactions to a degree that people lack actual social and communicative skill. A skill that takes time to learn. It might even be to a degree that makes people isolated and lonely and more prone to bad mental health. That would make any so-called science appealing, no matter how pseudo it is.

There's a difference in how many actually believe the earth is flat, and how many are verbal about it. My bet is the numbers havent changed at all.

Oh ok, idiots just found out about the internet, cool lol. Way to marginalize people you don't know or understand. Your broad, inaccurate assumptions about a diverse, worldwide community only show how limited your vision is.