Offline bavcol

• View Profile
You complain "stop messing this thread up with discussions about the south pole".
Last I heard the south pole was in the southern hemisphere and the thread is: "How can the sun be seen more than 12 hours a day in the southern hemisphere?"

No offense, I was referring to the upcoming discussions about Scott and Amundsen, the magnetic field lines, etc.
For the sake of the qualitiy of this thread I suggest to stick to the topic of day, night and daylength as it can be observed at different places around the earth and how this is (or is not) compatible to the Flat Earth model.

So... Can I assume that I just debunked the flat earth theory?  :D
Is nobody here able to properly explain to me how it is possible on a flat earth to see the sun in South America and Australia

Why are you so sure you can? They are on opposite sides of the earth on a round earth too. The charts seem to suggest you made up that you can see the sun in both places at once.

How do you know you can see the sun in both places at once? Have you tested it yourself, or were you told that?

The sun can be seen at Australia and South America at the same time because of the axial tilt of the globe.

Unfortunately I am not able to be at both of those places at once, therefore testing it by myself seems quite impossible for me...
Fortunately we live in the 21st century and we can do something called research, in order to gather information we can't test ourselfes. Please notice that doing research is completely different from "beeing told" something.

First of all, my example takes place at every day from a few weeks before the 22 December till a few weeks after, every year, at 09:00:00 (UTC time). 
timeanddate.com provides a interactive woldmap with which you can observe, where on the world it is day and where it is night for every moment you can think of: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html

timeanddate.com is a private company. Providing false data (especially predictions of day and night) would soon be noticed by the user community and they would use other websites, which provide the correct data. Users are money and a lack of users is a lack of money. timeanddate.com would vanish. Because this didn't happen I am quite convinced that timeanddate.com provides correct data.

I went even further: I validated the correctness of the map by myself, by observing several webcams all over the world (http://www.earthcam.com/), and I encourage you to do so as well. I was not able to detect any deviation between the day/night prediction of the map, and the daytime, seen in the webcams. Another reason, why the maps, provided by timeanddate.com seem valid to me.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Is nobody here able to properly explain to me how it is possible on a flat earth to see the sun in South America and Australia
Why are you so sure you can? They are on opposite sides of the earth on a round earth too. The charts seem to suggest you made up that you can see the sun in both places at once.

How do you know you can see the sun in both places at once? Have you tested it yourself, or were you told that?
The site (http://www.gaisma.com) seems to have no way to show the day-night map for some date other than today.
The site http://www.timeanddate.com/ allows other dates. I have selected UTC 12:00:00 Monday, 21 March 2016. The sun can be seen overhead on the Equator at 0°E, 0°N.

The day-night map on the right shows that the sun will be visible all day at both poles on the March Equinox.
The same happens on the September Equinox.

At both of these times, right at the poles the sun just skirts the horizon.

Yes, you will ask, "Have I seen it?", No! I haven't.
But, I might well ask numerous questions about the Flat Earth Hypothesis and the answers found in the Wiki.
I doubt that you have personally observed many of these things apart from "The Earth looks flat".

Yes, we all in the end rely on the observations of others. In the case of both of these "Day, night" sites, they are used so widely by users all over the earth that I honestly think that we would have heard the outcry by now.
I will admit that the we probably find only Polar Bears at the North Pole most of the time, so they might not notice!

Take a look at this day/night diagram:
Day and Night World Map
UTC time = Monday, 21 March 2016 at 12:00:00 Noon.
South Pole local time = Tuesday, 22 March 2016 at 1:00:00 AM.

Offline bavcol

• View Profile
The question remains  ;)

Is nobody here able to properly explain to me how it is possible on a flat earth to see the sun in South America and Australia while, at the same time, it is night at the northpole?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:35:17 AM by bavcol »

Offline Panzerfaust

• So You Think
    • View Profile
The question remains  ;)

Is nobody here able to properly explain to me how it is possible on a flat earth to see the sun in South America and Australia while, at the same time, it is night at the northpole?

I have to insist that a 'two sun model' is the ONLY explanation for how you can have daylight in South America and Australia and night in Europe at the same time. We have trillions of suns in the universe, so why is it so strange to imagine 2 suns orbiting our earth? I haven't seen any objection or explanations from other flat earthers.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
The question remains  ;)

I have to insist that a 'two sun model' is the ONLY explanation for how you can have daylight in South America and Australia and night in Europe at the same time. We have trillions of suns in the universe, so why is it so strange to imagine 2 suns orbiting our earth? I haven't seen any objection or explanations from other flat earthers.
I suppose that of these suns have exactly the same sun-spots etc? Seems a bit unlikely.

I know, I have a simpler explanation! The earth is really a globe that rotates! Think this idea might catch on?

Offline Panzerfaust

• So You Think
    • View Profile
The question remains  ;)

I suppose that of these suns have exactly the same sun-spots etc? Seems a bit unlikely.

I know, I have a simpler explanation! The earth is really a globe that rotates! Think this idea might catch on?

I have no other explanations, and it looks like my FET supporters are busy discussing their private megalomaniacal interests. And it's not small things they have on their plate! In their own words they have (quote): 'Found the cure for cancer', 'doing Gods work', redefined pi, concluded that nobody ever climbed high mountains, and much more.. .

I would even forgive their stupid avatar names if they could just get the discussion back on track. It's almost like they want to put free thinkers in a bad light.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
I have no other explanations, and it looks like my FET supporters are busy discussing their private megalomaniacal interests. And it's not small things they have on their plate! In their own words they have (quote): 'Found the cure for cancer', 'doing Gods work', redefined pi, concluded that nobody ever climbed high mountains, and much more.. .

I would even forgive their stupid avatar names if they could just get the discussion back on track. It's almost like they want to put free thinkers in a bad light.
It is telling that so many threads end with a globe supporter posting something the FE supporters find hard to answer simply stop. Suddenly all goes quiet. I suppose I don't blame them in the case of my posts, I probably put everybody to sleep, but surely that is not the case with all these "graveyarded" threads!