Offline Daguerrohype

• ISBN-10: 0552133256
    • View Profile
Re: A question for all round earthers
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »
To the OP:

Let's reverse your hypothesis and assume I was raised and educated to believe the earth is an oblate spheroid orbiting the sun at a distance of c.93,000,000 miles. Then one day someone tells me that actually the earth is a disc of unknown dimensions, and that the sun is a few thousand miles away. What specifically is so believable about that person's worldview?

FAOD I am aware that the earth looks flat while one is standing upon it. Given the purported dimensions of the spheroidal earth, that alone would not convince me that I had been lied to from birth.
Big Smiley Face

Re: A question for all round earthers
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »
If, for a minute, we could forget all about NASA and the school teachers we had indoctrinating us from the age of 5.  I mean forget about them for a minute, just try and block out that part of your minds.
Many, many years ago people already found out Earth was a sphere. Obviously, they were not the ignorant part of the population who just saw it from ground level and shout "FLAT!" while ignoring all the rest.

Would you disbelieve it?  I reckon you wouldn't?  Would it be so hard to believe?
If I passed just one day doing some observations with some knowledge... Then probably yes.

Now imagine that after 10 or so years, someone tells you the earth is a ball!
Yea, a similar shock may have happened when they told to "the masses" they are on a spinning globe. As many people believed more in a flat Earth because that's what their eyes were seeing. A surprise indeed.

Now imagine that after 10 or so years, someone tells you the earth is a ball!  Some people are walking around on the 'underside' of it, it's actually spinning at 1,000mph around it's own centre and hurtling through space at 60,000mph!  O, and that sun you see move above your head everyday is actually perfectly still and 93,000,000 miles away.

Come on people, when you look at it like that, what one really sounds like the fairy tale?
It sounds incredible, isn't it? And it is, even for the most knowledgeable of the humans.

But it is a creation of God, that is expected. All the glory to him.

Can you honestly put your hand on your heart, look yourself in the mirror and swear on a bible that the globe earth sounds more feasible? Honestly?
While for us, humans, believing that our Earth is flat is much easier to conceive (at first). It required from us some work for us to realize and understand it actually is not.

At first sight, we all thought it was flat... But after some work, we found out it is much more glorious than that.

-------
Thank you, God! You creation is amazingly beautiful, surprising, and complex. Only you can do this!