Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Discussion with Admins on Membership
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:52:46 PM »
So, we've been talking about things on and off over the past year and I think there is a consensus that we would like to open membership. We will not do physical membership goodie packages at this time, as a suitable 3rd party vendor to print certificates and membership cards could not be found. We may look at that in the future.

Past threads on the subject:

http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=2221.0
http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=1715.msg55761#msg55761
http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=2656.msg67162#msg67162

I would like to see something in line with the following:

1. User signs up on main site
2. His/her name is added to a membership roster
3. He/she is assigned a member number
4. He/she receives a printable certificate (perhaps we can work on something very colorful and graphical)
5. His/her forum username is added for access to the Zetetic Council forums
6. He/she receives notice of their new access and abilities

I know there are web framework packages where users can fill out a form and receive a printable certificate. We might begin investigating some of those.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion with Admins on Membership
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:01:31 PM »
But why, though?
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »
Sean, please do not make low content posts in S&C. If you have serious questions about Tom's suggestions then I would appreciate you choosing not to voice them in a manner reminiscent of CN memes.

I think this is an interesting idea. Allowing users to generate their own printable certificate would be a positive experience for members.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:40:33 PM »
It was a serious question. What is the point?
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
It was a serious question. What is the point?

The point would be to give people an interesting item that they could have to show site membership. Daniel's site had a similar function, at least when Daniel managed to get the items made.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
The type of membership we have been talking about also serves a purpose greater than an interesting certificate.

This is how it would work:

http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=2221.0

Quote from: Tom Bishop
1. We open up Flat Earth Society membership to all who want it. As a member of the Flat Earth Society your name goes onto a roster, you agree to fight globularist heresy in all its forms, and you will receive a certificate reflecting this (virtual or printed TBD).

2. As a official member of the Flat Earth Society you receive standing recognition and access to in the Zetetic Council Board

3. Zeteic Council members are elected and are tasked with creating and putting proposals to a vote. Zetetic Council members provide organizational guidance, but are not considered the workhorses.

4. Official members of the Flat Earth Society vote and comment on the proposals, and in doing so self motivate themselves to begin the project and see it to completion.

As a member you are actively involved in society affairs and get a voice in a democratic and collaborative Flat Earth Society. In contradiction to Daniel's site which merely passes out a certificate, you are more truly a member this time.

The plan outlined above provides a much needed re-imagining of the Zetetic Council and makes Flat Earth Society members intimately involved at the centerpiece.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:34:25 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 01:19:11 AM »
Are any admins interested in talking to us about this?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Discussion with Admins on Membership
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 01:41:44 AM »
I'm in full support of this idea. It needs to be voted on by the community, though. It will undoubtedly require the assistance of Blanko and Parsifal should the community agree on the idea.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »
Not sure how this requires my involvement, but I'm fine with the idea.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »
The community voted on this for one week in April 2015. The decision was to go ahead with this idea. If there are any dissenters they should speak now.

Do we have the support from Parsifal to move forward?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »
Sure. You don't really need my support, but if you want me to say I'm ok with it, then yes.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 02:57:15 AM »
How can we get access to the main site to put up a registration form?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »
Can someone assist Tom with moving this forward?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »
How can we get access to the main site to put up a registration form?

Sorry for letting this one sit for a while.

Our homepage has its code managed in git. It currently has no database; the posts there are simply read directly from the forum database.

I can either set up a staging version of our existing homepage for you to work with, or you can set up a form on your own and let me know when you have something ready to merge into our git repo.

Either way, we'll likely need to create a database for it. SQLite is probably easiest for something this simple, but if you need a real database server, we already have PostgreSQL up and running. MySQL is doable, but I'd prefer not to if it can be avoided, since I'd rather not be running multiple DBMSes.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

İntikam

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
Flat eartherz cash a check into money. I was wondering why it is not credible to us. I learned the answer. They work with just money.  If you give the cost to Tom, he will changed your user name starred one.

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »
Any updates please emaile at vstapleton82@yahop.com. I am moderator of Official Flat Earth Indiana on facebook.  unfortunately because of a comment I left on NASA's page they have disabled my ability to connect with other pages. However Official Flat Earth Indiana is a group and I can still communicate and interact with groups. I'm going to mail the $12 to Daniel Shenton in hopes to be placed on the register there.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 03:05:49 AM »
Any updates please PM me. I am Admin of FE Discord Server. Please let me know what it will take to get registered as an offishul FEer.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline ShowmetheProof

• We are fellow scientists, and should act as such.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »
1. We open up Flat Earth Society membership to all who want it. As a member of the Flat Earth Society your name goes onto a roster, you agree to fight globularist heresy in all its forms, and you will receive a certificate reflecting this (virtual or printed TBD).

2. As a official member of the Flat Earth Society you receive standing recognition and access to in the Zetetic Council Board

3. Zeteic Council members are elected and are tasked with creating and putting proposals to a vote. Zetetic Council members provide organizational guidance, but are not considered the workhorses.

4. Official members of the Flat Earth Society vote and comment on the proposals, and in doing so self motivate themselves to begin the project and see it to completion.

I have to say that this doesn't seem like a good idea.  Arguing about FE vs. RE has taught me a lot about physics and has made every RE believer have to  work hard and think a lot.  It isn't right to only allow FE believers on, because theories must be constantly testified against and win until proof is shown to increase their foundations.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 12:22:04 AM »

I have to say that this doesn't seem like a good idea.  Arguing about FE vs. RE has taught me a lot about physics and has made every RE believer have to  work hard and think a lot.  It isn't right to only allow FE believers on, because theories must be constantly testified against and win until proof is shown to increase their foundations.

Why would RE'ers want to be involved in organizing community projects and doing interviews with the news?