Answer me this!
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:46:04 PM »
if the earth is actually flat... Which it is proven not to be, the how in hell have people flown ALL THE WAY AROUND IT??!! Also, if you go to either pole, you can go right ove it and there you are on another side of the earth!! If the earth is flat NEITHER OF THESE THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, BUT STILL HAPPEN IN OUR SOCIETY!!!

sincerely,
D. Trump

Re: Answer me this!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
if the earth is actually flat... Which it is proven not to be, the how in hell have people flown ALL THE WAY AROUND IT??!! Also, if you go to either pole, you can go right ove it and there you are on another side of the earth!! If the earth is flat NEITHER OF THESE THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, BUT STILL HAPPEN IN OUR SOCIETY!!!

sincerely,
D. Trump

While I don't believe in a flat earth, I do believe in doing a bit of research on things. Most of your questions regarding what flat-earthers believe can be answered by reading the forum's FAQ.

http://wiki.tfes.org/FAQ#What_does_the_earth_look_like.3F_How_is_circumnavigation_possible.3F

If you're going to spend any time here at all, I suggest reading all of the FAQ and some of the older forum threads. Mostly because newcomers who subscribe to a round earth model have a habit of asking the same exact questions of the flat earth society people- questions they get fussy about since they've had to answer them every three days whenever a new one of us comes in here with what we think is a clear-cut 'gotcha!' question.

Once you get the basics down like "Where to ship masts go as they sail away?" and "How do you circumnavigate?" or "Seasons? Time zones? Eclipses?" - Only then can you really get a real hand in the game.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:13:22 PM by Disgraced_Shield »

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »

sincerely,
D. Trump

While I don't believe in a flat earth, I do believe in doing a bit of research on things. Most of your questions regarding what flat-earthers believe can be answered by reading the forum's FAQ.

http://wiki.tfes.org/FAQ#What_does_the_earth_look_like.3F_How_is_circumnavigation_possible.3F

If you're going to spend any time here at all, I suggest reading all of the FAQ and some of the older forum threads. Mostly because newcomers who subscribe to a round earth model have a habit of asking the same exact questions of the flat earth society people- questions they get fussy about since they've had to answer them every three days whenever a new one of us comes in here with what we think is a clear-cut 'gotcha!' question.

Once you get the basics down like "Where to ship masts go as they sail away?" and "How do you circumnavigate?" or "Seasons? Time zones? Eclipses?" - Only then can you really get a real hand in the game.

While that does prove part of my question incorrect, it doesnt explain how circumnavigation is possible no matter what direction you go in, even over the south pole.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
Are you angry?

Meh, a little dumbfounded at most

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »

sincerely,
D. Trump

While that does prove part of my question incorrect, it doesnt explain how circumnavigation is possible no matter what direction you go in, even over the south pole.

Correct. It doesn't. You'll find that the concept of the south pole is another hotly contested one around here, one without a definitive answer.

geckothegeek

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 11:13:48 PM »
Are you angry?

I'm not angry. I'm just amused.

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 11:25:13 PM »
Are you angry?

Meh, a little dumbfounded at most

Only when you try it yourself, you can know for sure. Have a good flight!
One more thing. Be sure to keep a straight line. Won't be easy though, to keep it right!

You can also drill a hole and see if you end up on the other side of the ball.

I don't know how easy or hard it is.....but....I was in the Navy and - quote  - "It's not in my job description." -unquote. I wasn't a helmsman, but I do know that they steered a straight line, keeping on  an assigned course by using a compass, the ship kept in a straight line. I only made three cruises from California to Japan. And we never went in circles and we always got there in due time....according to the globe and using charts made from projections from the globe. They never used maps based on a flat earth map. How can you use something that doesn't exist ? Even some of the most ardent flat earth (so-called "Believers") will tell you that there is no flat earth map ?

geckothegeek

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:06:19 AM »
Well, you can deny it all you wish, but if you want to go from California to Japan  you maintain a straight course  from point to point and you certainly aren't going around in  a circle as the azimuthal equidistant projection would show. The ship I was on sailed directly from San Diego to Honolulu ; then sometimes a stop at Guam; and then on another straight course to Yokosuka, Japan. Always some compass heading.

I think you need to ask your questions to anyone in the navy or in the maritime service about sailing from one port to the other across any ocean.

Maybe this might be the reason for your question. You would sail one compass  heading from San Diego to Honolulu. Then another one from Honolulu to Guam and another one from Guam to Japan. Do you understand this ?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:18:45 AM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 05:19:44 PM »
Well, you can deny it all you wish, but if you want to go from California to Japan  you maintain a straight course  from point to point and you certainly aren't going around in  a circle as the azimuthal equidistant projection would show. The ship I was on sailed directly from San Diego to Honolulu ; then sometimes a stop at Guam; and then on another straight course to Yokosuka, Japan. Always some compass heading.

I think you need to ask your questions to anyone in the navy or in the maritime service about sailing from one port to the other across any ocean.

Maybe this might be the reason for your question. You would sail one compass  heading from San Diego to Honolulu. Then another one from Honolulu to Guam and another one from Guam to Japan. Do you understand this ?

We are NOT talking about San Diego-Honolulu-Japan which is not a straight line btw.
Besides, on a flat earth, going west (or east) means that you are sailing in a circle. Because of the large distances you are not aware of this on a ship or airplane.

We are discussing a route around the world. For example from Japan to Japan in a straight line from 'left to right' and from 'up to down'.

Did you sail/fly from Japan to Japan in a straight line?

My example was the usual type of operation in going from the USA to Japan. Ships usually didn't go direct to Japan. They usually made stops in between. But if you wanted to go non-stop.....Yes.....All you would need to do would be to plot your course and stay on that course. Yes, it would be a straight line at some compass bearing.
http://www.chriscruises.com/2015/07/the-viking-advantage-we-would-gladly-repeat-our-experience
" Ocean cruise lines travel a straight line from port to port with passengers along for the ride, all the way."

I would suggest if you have any questions about ships or aircraft flying or sailing in "straight lines" you contact some cruise lines, shipping lines, or air lines. Ships and aircraft keep logs, you know. They are quite aware of the distances and courses they take in going from port to port, be it a seaport or an airport.

Another source for around the world cruises would be the Navies of any countries in the world.  Many of the ships in the United States Navy make around the world cruises. Of course they keep a log of the distances and courses involved in these cruises.

Incidentally , the movie "A Night To Remember",( a movie about the Titanic disaster )contains some interesting material concerning how ships plot their courses. It is available on DVD.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:33:57 PM by geckothegeek »