Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Auto-mute based on warning level
« on: October 29, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »
SMF has a facility to automatically mute a user (i.e., prevent them from posting) when a particular warning level is reached. Today, lolwut hit that warning level and was muted for a while, though I've now disabled that facility in the admin panel, so he can post again.

To me, this seems like unnecessary duplication of functionality -- this is why we have bans, warnings should be something else. Do others agree with this line of reasoning, or do you guys think automatic muting is useful?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Auto-mute based on warning level
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »
I don't think it is very useful. Given that 2-3 warnings results in a ban, it is a redundant system. We also don't have objective standards in place that a warning is worth X percentage. In this particular instance, if Rushy's warning was justified, then I think a ban would be in order given the numerous warnings this user has already received.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-mute based on warning level
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
I've been invited to join in the discussion here.  While I don't really give 2 shits about muting, warning, etc... it still makes no sense why I was warned yet again.  That is what I would like to discuss, though I understand that the discussion may require a new thread.
-flatearther43.2

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »

I've been invited to join in the discussion here.  While I don't really give 2 shits about muting, warning, etc... it still makes no sense why I was warned yet again.  That is what I would like to discuss, though I understand that the discussion may require a new thread.

Yes, please make a thread to address that concern. You'll need the moderator who warned you to discuss it further. If I had to guess, it was due to the moderator's interpretation of you violating rule 7. But that is just me speculating.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
Yeah, there's no point for the muting at all unless we decide to use that in lieu of bans. Otherwise it's redundant.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.