Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: A second look at flatearther43.2's suggestions
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
If, "in the end of the day", people will need to make their own calls, why have the NSFW rule at all since it seems impossible to define NSFW?
To provide a bit of a cushion, as would be the case with any other medium. To me, your response reads like an attempt at rendering all risks equal. They're not equal. Running into a few instances of "niggers" (especially after I stop you from making the font size 99pt :-* ) is much less of a risk than running into, I dunno, a lemonparty thread.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 01:25:30 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
The more the discussion continues, the more I am convinced that few, if any changes need to be made to the rules. Things run smoothly, and there are not many instances of people abusing the rules. There is an occasional baw from people who break rules that are pretty clear, but insist on arguing them anyway. I am not seeing a need to lock things down further.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
The more the discussion continues, the more I am convinced that few, if any changes need to be made to the rules. Things run smoothly, and there are not many instances of people abusing the rules. There is an occasional baw from people who break rules that are pretty clear, but insist on arguing them anyway. I am not seeing a need to lock things down further.

You think people posting the n-word over and over again (hundreds of times?) along with huge scrolling swastikas is an example of things running smoothly?

Why a part of the human anatomy is more offensive than racial slurs and symbols, I'll never understand, and is definitely a cause for concern.
-flatearther43.2

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2015, 02:18:13 PM »
I appreciate your opinion.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2015, 02:19:29 PM »
"Why a part of the human anatomy is more offensive than racial slurs and symbols, I'll never understand, and is definitely a cause for concern."

Do you agree with this or not?
-flatearther43.2

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »
How offensive something is would be irrelevant, because none of our rules mention the word 'offensive'.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »

"Why a part of the human anatomy is more offensive than racial slurs and symbols, I'll never understand, and is definitely a cause for concern."

Do you agree with this or not?

Do I agree with a personal opinion that you'll "never understand?" I'm not sure what you're looking for here...

Thork

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
Gonna be pretty hard for lolwut to reply to you.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »

So it seems. I'm sure he will be back sometime to provide further insight that will be very valuable.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »
How offensive something is would be irrelevant, because none of our rules mention the word 'offensive'.

So you're saying we can post pictures of midgets spreading their buttcheeks because the rules do not mention "midgets spreading their buttcheeks"?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2015, 06:47:46 PM »

So you're saying we can post pictures of midgets spreading their buttcheeks because the rules do not mention "midgets spreading their buttcheeks"?

Well you certainly can post that, but I wouldn't advise that you should do so.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »
What do you mean Thork?  I can reply just fine and am glad to see this discussion continuing!
-flatearther43.2

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »

Well you certainly can post that, but I wouldn't advise that you should do so.

Why wouldn't you advise it?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »
Why wouldn't you advise it?

I'd have to remove it, which is hard work, and I don't like hard work.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2015, 08:45:43 PM »
Can we please keep this thread on topic? Please stop with the low-content posting, and take further discussion regarding acceptable content in CN to fe43.2's thread on the subject. I'd like to keep this thread about our stance on moderation in general and what people think we can do to improve it, rather than focusing on the specific details of recent events.

Does anybody have any comments relating to improving our moderation?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

Re: Improving forum moderation practices
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2015, 09:13:08 PM »
What do you mean Thork?  I can reply just fine and am glad to see this discussion continuing!
I'd have muted you for at least a week, but then I guess that's why they don't want me as a mod.

Does anybody have any comments relating to improving our moderation?
Perhaps being a little less lenient with those who seek only to post anti-socially to enhance the user experience for everyone else? All this running around pandering to a user whose only interest is in spamming in the most indiscrete methods he can think of seems a huge waste of time and tests the patience of everyone else. There is free speech and there is being an annoying twat. This user is exercising his right to the latter.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
I would say that some of the moderators should tone down their usage of n-words and things that are highly controversial since it reflects poorly on the site, even if those posts are meant as jokes. An outside user could interpret them very differently than us. For example, what if some news outlet discovers these posts and reports them in a story called "Flat Earthers are racist" or something like that. This is an actual concern and not just me being contrarian.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:10:17 PM by Hollocron »

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »
For example, what if some news outlet discovers these posts and reports them in a story called "Flat Earthers" are racist, or something like that. This is an actual concern and not just me being contrarian.

This. As opposed to "Flat earthers like ascii dongs"
-flatearther43.2

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2015, 10:34:23 PM »

I agree with the good Dr and hollo.
It has been said that you want to treat everyone like adults, fine, but they should at least try to behave like one, when the whole point of someones posts are to shit things up then getting them to curb it is beneficial.
I don't complain about the racist shit, but it does make the site less of an attraction, if I had come across this site now, as opposed to when I did, i don't think I would have hung around as long as I have.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2015, 10:46:02 PM »
I'd like to suggest that the mods ought to keep the details of who reports what to themselves.  If someone is abusing the report system, then warn or ban them, same as with any other violation of the rules.  But bringing it up publicly in an attempt to shame them out of reporting posts is a really petty and juvenile thing to do.

And because I know someone will bring this up if I don't address it myself - yes, of course I'm saying this largely because of the subject coming up during my recent disagreement with Blanko, but this kind of thing isn't an isolated incident.  There's a long history on the old site of mods talking about the reports they've received in the interests of going "haha everyone look at this whiner," and I think it's just a really shitty practice that's got to stop.