Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
That said, it sounds to me like quite a few people here are missing the point of CN. As far as I understand, CN is quite literally the dumpster of FES. I would expect for actual discussions to take place in the Lounge.

The community seems to disagree. While it is a place for crap and derping out, people still want to be able to reasonably navigate it. Given that Parsifal's literal words were:

This is everyone's community, and you should all have a say in how the forum should be run.

I feel the community has had a say, and most seem to be agreeing so far that even the nonsense in CN can be fun sometimes. Not to mention that actual discussions do occur there on a reasonably frequent basis, whether intended or not.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
Restricting the font size is something we could definitely do in software. It would likely be more effective than having a rule.

That said, it sounds to me like quite a few people here are missing the point of CN. As far as I understand, CN is quite literally the dumpster of FES. I would expect for actual discussions to take place in the Lounge.
I like that idea then. The font sizes are really what got to me and I think what made it difficult to load a page.

I enjoy dumpster diving every now and then for some hidden treasure. He made CN unenjoyable.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
also, i don't get why we would want to protect to ability to spam nothing but endless rows of periods or equals signs or whatever in every single thread in cn. 

it doesn't freeze my browser, but if half of the posts in a thread are nothing but literally hundreds of lines of dots and dashes, then i'm not going to ever check that thread again.  or, you know, any other thread in a forum where every thread is just a bunch of dots and dashes for, again, literally hundreds and hundreds of lines.

i mean i do get that that's super funny!!!!!!! times lolololol lmao get it cause it's like lots of text rofl copter imo imo imo imho

Moderating based on personal value judgments is literally the worst idea ever. Otherwise I would have gotten rid of Saddam a long time ago because I find all of his posts annoying :^)

I'm not really sure how what I said is any more or less of a personal value judgement than any of the other rules for posting that already exist.  I'm not taking issue with the quality of the content.  I'm saying that the content makes CN unreadable.  That's a far cry from "I think Saddam should be banned because I find all of his posts annoying."

That's weird, I can read fe43's posts just fine. Perhaps the problem is on your end?

Quote from: rooster
The posts kept me from checking anything in CN. I don't really mind when it's just random shit posting, but when it's that fucking gigantic and you can't see anything else without scrolling down forever... well, I really don't have the patience for it.

I enjoy dumpster diving every now and then for some hidden treasure. He made CN unenjoyable.

I agree with rooster. 

Perhaps the point of CN is lost on me, too, but I thought that, whatever it was, it was for posting and reading.  If not, then we should just call it "Trash" and make it clear that it's not for posting in or reading.  If it is for posting in and reading, then it seems like "readability" isn't too harsh a standard to maintain there.

That's weird, I can read fe43's posts just fine. Perhaps the problem is on your end?

Perhaps a better way to express it would be to say that it affects the readability of the other posts in CN, many of which I enjoy reading.  People make funny threads there with funny jokes and banter and all that.  It's fun to read, and most of it is too shit-post-y for the Lounge.  If those fun things to read are all intentionally buried under thousands and thousands of literally just punctuation, then they're no longer accessible/readable.

Yes, a thousand lines of equals signs is legible.  Is that genuinely what you think I'm complaining about?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:20:31 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Perhaps a better way to express it would be to say that it affects the readability of the other posts in CN, many of which I enjoy reading.  People make funny threads there with funny jokes and banter and all that.  It's fun to read, and most of it is too shit-post-y for the Lounge.  If those fun things to read are all intentionally buried under thousands and thousands of literally just punctuation, then they're no longer accessible/readable.

Yes, a thousand lines of equals signs is legible.  Is that genuinely what you think I'm complaining about?

No, I get it. You are just complaining about quality of content, you're just rephrasing it to seem more rational.

Sorry, but "bawww the content I personally like is less easily accessible" is not a banworthy offense.

No, I get it. You are just complaining about quality of content, you're just rephrasing it to seem more rational.

Sorry, but "bawww the content I personally like is less easily accessible" is not a banworthy offense.

I don't know how I could be any more clear that I'm saying it's the quantity of the nonsensical content that ruins that entire sub-forum.  If that sub-forum is meant to be read and engaged by the community at all, then a rule that maintains its accessibility to the community doesn't seem overbearing to me.

I'll try to be more clear: I think that fe43 posting 10 periods in every CN thread is fine.  I think that fe43 posting 10,000 periods in the maximum font size makes the thread its in unreadable.  Doing that in every CN thread makes CN unreadable.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile

I don't know how I could be any more clear that I'm saying it's the quantity of the nonsensical content that ruins that entire sub-forum.  If that sub-forum is meant to be read and engaged by the community at all, then a rule that maintains its accessibility to the community doesn't seem overbearing to me.

I'll try to be more clear: I think that fe43 posting 10 periods in every CN thread is fine.  I think that fe43 posting 10,000 periods in the maximum font size makes the thread its in unreadable.  Doing that in every CN thread makes CN unreadable.

Perhaps I should be more clear as well. You only think that makes CN "unreadable" is because you *************personally************* do not enjoy the content fe43 puts out, and you ************personally************** do not believe his content matches the quality of content you expect from CN. If one were to enjoy reading fe43's content, they would not find CN "unreadable". Therefore this is entirely a personal value judgment.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
The community seems to disagree. While it is a place for crap and derping out, people still want to be able to reasonably navigate it.
I'm not trying to go against that. I'm merely voicing my views as part of the community. Perhaps I'll be able to convince some people to see things my way, perhaps I won't. In the end of the day, I have no intention of trying to force my views through. That said, I think it's a bit early to declare a community consensus just yet. The discussion is still very much alive, perhaps even heated.

As a side note: when his posts started annoying me, I just added him to my ignore list. That way I can still read them when I want to, but they're collapsed by default. I'm not trying to say that people should do that instead of suggesting rule changes, but I would like to remind people that this function exists and may be helpful in the future.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:54:52 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
The community seems to disagree. While it is a place for crap and derping out, people still want to be able to reasonably navigate it.
I'm not trying to go against that. I'm merely voicing my views as part of the community. Perhaps I'll be able to convince some people to see things my way, perhaps I won't. In the end of the day, I have no intention of trying to force my views through. That said, I think it's a bit early to declare a community consensus just yet. The discussion is still very much alive, perhaps even heated.

I agree it is too early to make any final determinations. I honestly wish this discourse would've happened before. Then, perhaps, it could have been handled in a more universally agreeable way. If there is any good to come of it, at least people are talking now. I may be in the minority, but I would like to see Parsifal make a definitive rule on what CN is or is not after the discussions are over.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
I'm still of the opinion that nothing junker did was unreasonable (I'm willing to donate for a targeted assassination should he return), hundreds of fullstops etc. is not a post, the fussy pedant brigade trying to take the high ground on freedom of speech are the ones missing the point.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
I agree it is too early to make any final determinations. I honestly wish this discourse would've happened before. Then, perhaps, it could have been handled in a more universally agreeable way. If there is any good to come of it, at least people are talking now. I may be in the minority, but I would like to see Parsifal make a definitive rule on what CN is or is not after the discussions are over.
We are largely in agreement, then.

Personally,  I would like to suggest technical changes instead of social ones. As I understand it, the three principal complaints about fe43's behaviour are:

• Huge images
  • Huge fonts
  • [hr] spam

All of those  issues could be solved within the forum software. We don't need rules and bans to prevent unreadable posts.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
As a side note: when his posts started annoying me, I just added him to my ignore list. That way I can still read them when I want to, but they're collapsed by default. I'm not trying to say that people should do that instead of suggesting rule changes, but I would like to remind people that this function exists and may be helpful in the future.
I totally forgot that was an option. Thanks, buddy!

You only think that makes CN "unreadable" is because you *************personally************* do not enjoy the content fe43 puts out, and you ************personally************** do not believe his content matches the quality of content you expect from CN.

No.  I'm not talking about how much I enjoy the content of fe43's posts.  I'm saying that I think that it makes CN unreadable because having to scroll through endless pages of punctuation makes it prohibitively difficult to read any other posts in that forum.  Huge image files that crash my browser make CN effectively off limits to me if that's something I can expect to happen with any regularity.  I'm not talking about banning something that I didn't enjoy reading.

I'm expressing literally exactly what Rooster and Jura and Saddam and Junker already have.  I'm unsure why only my expression of this opinion has drawn your ire.  As I mentioned before, I'm not really sure how what I said is any more or less of a personal value judgement than any of the other rules for posting that already exist.

Sure, I guess it's true that I'm expressing a ***personal preference*** against a single user being allowed to spam a whole sub-forum into irrelevance and functionally delete the posts of everyone else who tries to post there by making them inaccessible.

Quote from: SexPizza
I'm merely voicing my views as part of the community. Perhaps I'll be able to convince some people to see things my way, perhaps I won't.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:45:02 PM by garygreen »

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile

Looks like I've created quite a fucking uproar in the FES.  If we can't post whatever the hell we want in CN, then for fuck's sake, create a place where we can!  Call it "The Dumpster" or some stupid shit like that.  Why in the fuck, people are even allowed to post 99pt font posts is beyond me.
-flatearther43.2

-flatearther43.2

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No.  I'm not talking about how much I enjoy the content of fe43's posts.  I'm saying that I think that it makes CN unreadable because having to scroll through endless pages of punctuation makes it prohibitively difficult to read any other posts in that forum.  Huge image files that crash my browser make CN effectively off limits to me if that's something I can expect to happen with any regularity.  I'm not talking about banning something that I didn't enjoy reading.

Any posts I don't enjoy make it prohibitively difficult to read posts I do enjoy.

I'm expressing literally exactly what Rooster and Jura and Saddam and Junker already have.  I'm unsure why only my expression of this opinion has drawn your ire.

But I've already replied to Jura and Junker in this thread. I'm sorry if you thought this was personal, but it isn't.

As I mentioned before, I'm not really sure how what I said is any more or less of a personal value judgement than any of the other rules for posting that already exist.

The difference is that you agree to abide by forum rules when you post. You don't agree to abide by an individual user's personal inclinations. That is why I don't care for any of these "this is annoying so it should be banned" suggestions (specifically looking at you, Saddam). Any one user of authority shouldn't be making judgments based on what personally annoys them, and that includes what they think CN should or should not be for.

Sure, I guess it's true that I'm expressing a ***personal preference*** against a single user being allowed to spam a whole sub-forum into irrelevance and functionally delete the posts of everyone else who tries to post there by making them inaccessible.

What do you mean by "a single user being allowed"? We're not prohibiting anyone else from spamming CN as well.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Why in the fuck, people are even allowed to post 99pt font posts is beyond me.
I'm with you bro, hence my suggestion that we should fix that, instead of punishing individuals.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
Why in the fuck, people are even allowed to post 99pt font posts is beyond me.
I'm with you bro, hence my suggestion that we should fix that, instead of punishing individuals.
I mean, god damn.  Thank christ SexWarrior is the voice of reason.
-flatearther43.2

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Any one user of authority shouldn't be making judgments based on what personally annoys them, and that includes what they think CN should or should not be for.

I suppose it is a good thing that did not happen, then.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Any one user of authority shouldn't be making judgments based on what personally annoys them, and that includes what they think CN should or should not be for.

I suppose it is a good thing that did not happen, then.

I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm saying that's what would happen if these cute anecdotes about >muh forum experience were actually how this forum is run.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
Actually, I can solve this once and for all... just make this site run as fucking slowly as the other site and I won't have the patience to troll. 
-flatearther43.2