Offline Orbisect-64

• I'M REVOLTING! . . . make of it what you will
    • View Profile
View Distance On A Plane?
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:38:03 AM »
What's the average maximum view distance of a man looking at another man - the distance at which he is no longer seeable?

I downloaded a copy of The American Practical Nagigator, by Bowtich. The old version from around circa 1940 had a chart for "view distance" at sea, and it wasn't indoctrinated with ball earth philosophy - it gave you true view distances that, although practical and applicable, would not be possible on a ball. But the 2002 version I downloaded doesn't have that chart, instead it has a "Geographic Range" table - and the entire book is full of faulty ball earth religious teachings crap.

So unless someone here has an old version of the book...

What's agreed upon to he the maximum view distance on a flat plane?

PRONOIA: “The delusional belief that the world is set up to benefit people … The confident and assumed trust that despite years of lies and oppression, government is secretly conspiring in your favor.”

Thork

Re: View Distance On A Plane?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:17:31 AM »
Depends on the weather conditions and visibility. On a foggy day, you can see about 50 ft. On a clear day, you may see 40 miles. Air is not a completely transparent medium. This is why mountains look bluish in the background. Eventually there is too much moisture and dust for you to see through. The point you can see no furher.

Look how close the horizon is below.

The horizon is just the edge of your perception. Not the edge of the world.

Higher up and you can see further. You have a better slant angle and there is less dust/moisture.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:20:07 AM by Dr David Thork »

Offline Orbisect-64

• I'M REVOLTING! . . . make of it what you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
Thank you Thork.

But what does "see" mean? You say you may be able to SEE something in the right conditions, but are we talking about a large ship, or looking at a another person?

If weather conditions were perfect, with low particle density and maximum view distance, how far do you think you would be able to see another man, whether he be identifiable or just a dot? For my purposes I don't need to be standing on the sea shore; imagine you're standing on a flat featureless surface that goes as far as the eye can see - how far could you see another man before he's little dot becomes indistinguishable from the horizon? Are we talking about 50 miles in this scenario?

This is why I was look looking for that old view distance chart, it told you how far you could see an object according to its size, and your height.
PRONOIA: “The delusional belief that the world is set up to benefit people … The confident and assumed trust that despite years of lies and oppression, government is secretly conspiring in your favor.”

Thork

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:59:43 PM »
No idea. I think have seen 80 miles before. Below is a link to a study where they tested visibilities from 10-100km.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014001344

So at least that far. Which is 20 times further than a ball-like earth says you can see ... so  :-\
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm