geckothegeek

Re: What is the Advantage of a Globe Theory?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 05:38:16 PM »
Due to the curvature of the earth the distance to the horizon depends on the height of the observer and can be determined by a simple formula. The higher you are the farther you can see to the horizon.

In Dubai at the Burj Khalifa you can watch the sun set then ride the high speed elevator to the 124th floor. On the way up the set sun will rise again and you can then watch it set a second time.

I'm sure you don't see it rise again. You are probably seeing the sun again because of clearer atmosphere and less obstacles in the way when you go higher.

You can see the sun rise again since you are up higher and you can see farther to the horizon. Check on the  distance to the horizon according to the height of the observer. On a flat earth, assuming of course that there was a sunset on a flat earth, you could see the sunset no matter how high you were above the ground. There are certain simple "round earth facts" such as this that flat earth simply chooses to deny.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:42:25 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 06:26:24 PM »
Due to the curvature of the earth the distance to the horizon depends on the height of the observer and can be determined by a simple formula. The higher you are the farther you can see to the horizon.

In Dubai at the Burj Khalifa you can watch the sun set then ride the high speed elevator to the 124th floor. On the way up the set sun will rise again and you can then watch it set a second time.

I'm sure you don't see it rise again. You are probably seeing the sun again because of clearer atmosphere and less obstacles in the way when you go higher.

You can see the sun rise again since you are up higher and you can see farther to the horizon. Check on the  distance to the horizon according to the height of the observer. On a flat earth, assuming of course that there was a sunset on a flat earth, you could see the sunset no matter how high you were above the ground. There are certain simple "round earth facts" such as this that flat earth simply chooses to deny.

I'm certainly no expert, but on a flat Earth the sun simply gets to a distance you can't see it any longer because of the atmosphere. When a person rises above  he can see the sun again because the atmosphere is clearer again. The sun doesn't set it simply goes out of sight. REers think the sun sets or goes around the Earth. If that was true then why is the horizon always at eye level on matter how high you go? That being the case the sun should never set. It should always appear over head or simply always in sight.

geckothegeek

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »

I'm certainly no expert, but on a flat Earth the sun simply gets to a distance you can't see it any longer because of the atmosphere. When a person rises above  he can see the sun again because the atmosphere is clearer again. The sun doesn't set it simply goes out of sight. REers think the sun sets or goes around the Earth. If that was true then why is the horizon always at eye level on matter how high you go? That being the case the sun should never set. It should always appear over head or simply always in sight.

Flat earth also says the sun gets so far away and so small you can't see it after a sunset.....or... I'm no flat earth expert either.....But.....Or maybe you can't see a sunrise on the flat earth  until the sun gets near enough to see it because during the night the sun has been so far away that you can't see it ? But the sun never goes below the horizon on the flat earth ? According to flat earth the sun moves around the earth in a circular orbit at a constant height ?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 08:27:27 PM »

Who performed this experiment?  Or, is this just another of those "If the is earth is round, then this would happen" hypotheticals that you people misunderstand to be facts?

geckothegeek

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »

Who performed this experiment?  Or, is this just another of those "If the is earth is round, then this would happen" hypotheticals that you people misunderstand to be facts?

Have any flat earthers ever  performed an experiment to disprove the the round earth claimed fact that the horizon is a well defined line where land or sea meet the sky ; the distance to the horizon depends on the height of the observer and the distance to the horizon is greater the higher the observer is located ?

Or have the flat earthers ever performed an experiment to prove that the horizon is a blur  which fades away at an infinite and undetermined distance ? If this was so, a simple photograph would show this. Of course flat earthers don't believe photographs are evidence.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:22:29 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »

That's weird. I actually interpreted that as an argument in favour of a Flat Earth, because, once the sun sets (and the earth continues to spin at ~1000 mph) there  is no way that getting up 1000 feet is going to enable you to see the sun rise again, even if you can do that in about 2 minutes (from the outside on the ground, to the elevators, then up the elevators)

But seeing how everything converges to the horizon on a flat earth, then getting up fast enough would enable one to see the sun "rise" again. Makes sense to me.
Whether flat or globe, the same important facts apply to Earth: God is One. God is Love. God is Good.

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »

That's weird. I actually interpreted that as an argument in favour of a Flat Earth, because, once the sun sets (and the earth continues to spin at ~1000 mph) there  is no way that getting up 1000 feet is going to enable you to see the sun rise again, even if you can do that in about 2 minutes (from the outside on the ground, to the elevators, then up the elevators)

But seeing how everything converges to the horizon on a flat earth, then getting up fast enough would enable one to see the sun "rise" again. Makes sense to me.

I think it's more like they watch the sun set inside the elevator or it has just set as they enter the elevator.

"The world's tallest building, Burj Khalifa, occupies third place in the list, with a maximum elevator speed of 36 km/h, or 600m/min. The engineers working on the design first thought about installing triple-decker elevators, which would have been the first in the world. The double-decker elevators that have instead been installed have a capacity of 12 to 14 persons per cabin."
http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-20616-burj-khalifa-has-worlds-third-fastest-elevator/

For an observer standing on the ground with h = 1.70 metres (5 ft 7 in) (average eye-level height), the horizon is at a distance of 4.7 kilometres (2.9 mi).
    For an observer standing on the ground with h = 2 metres (6 ft 7 in), the horizon is at a distance of 5 kilometres (3.1 mi).
    For an observer standing on a hill or tower of 100 metres (330 ft) in height, the horizon is at a distance of 36 kilometres (22 mi).
    For an observer standing at the top of the Burj Khalifa (828 metres (2,717 ft) in height), the horizon is at a distance of 103 kilometres (64 mi).
    For an observer atop Mount Everest (8,848 metres (29,029 ft) in altitude), the horizon is at a distance of 336 kilometres (209 mi).

These are facts, not theory. But they happen to agree with RET. FET on the other hand would predict you should be able to see forever into the distance. The ad hoc argument that this ability is limited by the air leaves you unable to explain why you can see farther the higher you are above the earth.

With the FE sun at 2,000 miles altitude and say 8,000 miles away from you it'd be at an elevation of 14 degrees. So throw in another ad hoc supposition of bendy lightrays. The sun "sets" at a distance of just a couple of miles for someone standing at the beach. How bendy is that light?? Once the light bends to give the illusion of a sunset any viewing of the sun light from further away atop a tall building or mountain would require your bendy light to bend beyond horizontal and start curving up again. That would create the optical illusion of the sun at an angel below the horizon!

The elevator moves at 33ft/sec so would take 82 seconds to get to 2,717 ft high.
Rotation rate of 900mph (at Dubai) for 82 seconds = 20.5 miles.
The increase in horizon from the base to 2,717 ft up is 64 miles - 3 miles = 61 miles. You have 40 miles to spare.

Rotation rate is not an issue.

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2015, 11:19:36 PM »
If that was true then why is the horizon always at eye level no matter how high you go?

It's not. But the drop from level is very slight. Your brain can't detect anything under a couple of degrees off from level which doesn't occur until you reach an altitude of about 2.5 miles.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2015, 05:22:10 AM »

I can correct you there,  no round earthers think that the sun goes around the earth,  the earth is rotating,  one revolution per day.    ( I'm surprised you didn't know this already )

The horizon doesn't always stay at eye level,  once you get to an altitude that you can clearly discern the left -right curvature of the horizon,  then the horizon will be clearly  seen to be below you.   

The sun does set,  if you doubt me,  go outside late in the day and watch it sink slowly below the horizon,   it doesn't just vanish into infinity,  it is clearly a disk that gradually drops below the horizon.

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 09:51:16 PM »

I can correct you there,  no round earthers think that the sun goes around the earth,  the earth is rotating,  one revolution per day.    ( I'm surprised you didn't know this already )

The horizon doesn't always stay at eye level,  once you get to an altitude that you can clearly discern the left -right curvature of the horizon,  then the horizon will be clearly  seen to be below you.   

The sun does set,  if you doubt me,  go outside late in the day and watch it sink slowly below the horizon,   it doesn't just vanish into infinity,  it is clearly a disk that gradually drops below the horizon.

I'm sorry, I stand corrected REers do believe the Earth rotates around the Sun. It sound so ridiculous i guess I forgot for a minute. When have you ever been high enough to see any curvature? If we live on a ball then when you go up high you should see the horizon actually roll under you. You don't it stays right out in front of you.  Why do you believe the Sun is a disk but the Earth is a round ball? To be truthful with you I can't really say what the Sun setting will look like on a round Earth. All I know is how it looks on a flat Earth.

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:01 PM »
So back to the original question of this topic -

I think Mark Sargent does a good job of exploring the background as to why they would have needed to continue to maintain the Globe Earth Ruse.

especially around 5 minutes. He begins to explain it directly.

Whether flat or globe, the same important facts apply to Earth: God is One. God is Love. God is Good.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:00 AM »

I'm sorry, I stand corrected REers do believe the Earth rotates around the Sun. It sound so ridiculous i guess I forgot for a minute. When have you ever been high enough to see any curvature? If we live on a ball then when you go up high you should see the horizon actually roll under you. You don't it stays right out in front of you.  Why do you believe the Sun is a disk but the Earth is a round ball? To be truthful with you I can't really say what the Sun setting will look like on a round Earth. All I know is how it looks on a flat Earth.

Not quite what I wrote,  but  let me try again,   the day/night cycle of the sun and moon rising and setting is caused by the earth rotating once per day,   that's where days and nights come from,   (not rotating around the sun),   the earth orbits the sun once per year and because the axis of rotation (the daily rotation) is tilted  the length of the days varies depending on where you are on earth,  in  July,  It's winter in Australia (where I live),  and Summer in the USA. ( where you live).    I'm sure all this has been explained before. 

The sunset on a flat earth would look like the sun just gets smaller and smaller until it vanishes,  this is not what we see,  the sun doesn't get smaller,  if anything it looks bigger due to atmospheric effects,  the flat earth answer to this conundrum is that there is a bendy light effect near the horizon that compensates for the vanishing effect.   You really should ask a flat earther how that works.   What we observe in reality could not happen on a flat earth.    There are plenty of pictures showing the sun half way below the horizon,  how do you explain that on a flat earth model.

This picture is not possible on a flat earth.   

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2015, 02:32:21 AM »
So back to the original question of this topic -

I think Mark Sargent does a good job of exploring the background as to why they would have needed to continue to maintain the Globe Earth Ruse.

especially around 5 minutes. He begins to explain it directly.

I lost count after 20 or so factual errors and numerous unsupported assertions,   but he does have a nice easy presentation style,  he would make a good salesman.

Just a few of the more glaring factual errors,   the earh was known to be round for thousands of years prior to Copernicus,   the first pictures from space showing curvature were in the late 1940's   there are in fact direct flights from Sydney to Santiago,  there are millions of full disk images (not composite) of the earth from space.  The space program is not militarized,  most space missions are scientific,  and done by universities or international agencies like ESA or JAXA or whatever the Russian one is called ROSCOSMOS?  You'd think NASA was the only game in town to hear him talk.   Antarctica is not a forbidden military zone,  the treaty was to prohibit military and commercial activity,  and promote scientific research,   and on and on,  the guy just doesn't stop making mistake after mistake. 

I don't know about high altitude nuclear testing,  but  that time was in the middle of the nuclear arms race and the cold war.  The dangers of radioactive fallout were only just becoming understood, and nuclear testing moved underground. 

In any event isn't Mark Sargent one of the reptillian alien conspiracy guys?   

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2015, 04:45:18 AM »
Mark Sargent you tube

Rayzor mentioned the direct flight already. Here's a thread from the other site:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62950.0#.VcLhc5O350w

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2015, 06:27:12 AM »
Why do people ignore Rayzors post? He just gave you the most simple proof that the Earth is not flat. It's as simple as a sunset at the oceanside. Beautiful isn't it?

In ALL my years investigating all of these arguments to understand just WHY people would believe in the FET, I have never, EVER seen one piece of evidence to support your claims.

All I see is lousy pictures taken with crappy cameras of complete unrelated stuff proving nothing but said people having the ability to push a button. Then I see said people link to youtube videos stuffed with proofs. Lousy, trailer-park productions done in Movie maker with extremely bad voice overs and edits with text done in bubblegum colours.

Hey, did you know the Chemtrail and Flat Earth theories is a billion dollar business? It's incredible how much can be made by semi-smart people, just because you're gullible.

I'm still listening though. Provide HARD evidence, not pseudo-science.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline wclubin

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
Making us believe we are on a globe spinning on its axis (to explain the daily sky motions), revolving round the sun (to explain the yearly motion of the stars), all happening in this awful cold uninhabitable space outside that of the confines of earth, certainly makes it look more possible that there is no creator, that it all just happened "naturally". So therefore put away all of your hope for such a creator and allow the role of god to be played by TPTB because they are all you have. Meanwhile everyone outside of the domed city we call earth are laughing their asses off knowing that the fools inside have been convinced they are on some spaceship earth hurling through some vast uninviting space. But really we are inside some weird planetarium created by not so nice creatures.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »
<snip>
 But really we are inside some weird planetarium created by not so nice creatures.

In fact the truth is we live on a spectacularly beautiful planet in a universe full of beauty and mystery.   

Wake up and look around.

Offline wclubin

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »
A person who is born in prison and only knows prison might say the same thing as you. Read the allegory of the cave by Plato.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2015, 01:39:01 PM »
A person who is born in prison and only knows prison might say the same thing as you. Read the allegory of the cave by Plato.

It's been many years,  since I read Plato,  but I take your point,  what you say has some validity.   Shadows and perception of reality, If I remember correctly.

Anyway,  I like my reality better than yours,   and I can prove mine is the objective reality.   :)

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
Making us believe we are on a globe spinning on its axis (to explain the daily sky motions), revolving round the sun (to explain the yearly motion of the stars), all happening in this awful cold uninhabitable space outside that of the confines of earth, certainly makes it look more possible that there is no creator, that it all just happened "naturally". So therefore put away all of your hope for such a creator and allow the role of god to be played by TPTB because they are all you have. Meanwhile everyone outside of the domed city we call earth are laughing their asses off knowing that the fools inside have been convinced they are on some spaceship earth hurling through some vast uninviting space. But really we are inside some weird planetarium created by not so nice creatures.

I really do not see any reason to think God is somehow not needed in a Globe World. They both have an earth and sky and something outside, the sun, moon, stars etc.. one theory is no more extraordinary than the other.

"What is the Advantage of a Globe Theory?"

It is just that the Globe Earth actually accounts for everything we observe.

Otherwise there is no advantage one way or the other. If NASA is constituting a hoax they could do it just as easily with a flat earth
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:22:09 PM by huh? »