Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Reorganizing The Zetetic Council: Yay or Nay
« on: April 12, 2015, 09:38:35 PM »
We are looking for a decision on this idea to reorganize the Zetetic Council with this proposal I made on the on the ZC forum. It was felt by some that we need a decision from the community before making such drastic changes.

I've been kicking ideas around in my head for how we can make the Zetetic Council better. I had a few ideas. My conclusion is as follows:

1. We open up Flat Earth Society membership to all who want it. As a member of the Flat Earth Society your name goes onto a roster, you agree to fight globularist heresy in all its forms, and you will receive a certificate reflecting this (virtual or printed TBD).

2. As a official member of the Flat Earth Society you receive standing recognition and access to in the Zetetic Council Board

3. Zeteic Council members are elected and are tasked with creating and putting proposals to a vote. Zetetic Council members provide organizational guidance, but are not considered the workhorses.

4. Official members of the Flat Earth Society vote and comment on the proposals, and in doing so self motivate themselves to begin the project and see it to completion.

We may want to rename the Zetetic Council Board to another name, but I believe this idea has a lot of merit. I welcome comments on this idea.

Please respond with Yay or Nay and any comments. A decision will be made in 1 week.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:40:55 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Reorganizing The Zetetic Council: Yay or Nay
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »
Tausami votes 'Yay'

I officially endorse Tom's idea.

The big problem with the ZC, in my experience with it, is that when ideas are brought up all 5 members are never available to discuss it or vote on it, and discussions consistently stagnate. Then the people who were active get tired of yelling into a void and disappear for months and the cycle continues.

If Tom's plan is implemented (presumably after reunification), I see several things happening. First, the ZC process becomes a lot more democratic. If you care enough to be reading this, you would probably be able to vote under Tom's idea. I like that. The regulars here tend to have good ideas. With careful moderation of the ZC board (I would propose, albeit without thinking about the idea too hard, that the ZC members be able to moderate the board), it could be a great place for the society and Flat Earth Theory to prosper. It would fix the stagnation problem, too, because discussion of the ideas would not be limited to ZC members.

The current ZC is an ineffective organization. I think Tom's proposal would fix the main reasons that's the case.

Thork

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:55:09 PM »
It is definitely time to reorganise the council, starting with elections. We initially said we'd look for new councillors after maybe 3-6 months and then have individuals step down and replace people one at a time so there was continuity and yet fresh blood.

I offered to step down 3 months ago and yet no elections for a replacement was made. I don't feel it is the corpses duty to organise their own funeral, so if someone can sort a vote to replace me, I will step down with grace.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »
It is definitely time to reorganise the council, starting with elections. We initially said we'd look for new councillors after maybe 3-6 months and then have individuals step down and replace people one at a time so there was continuity and yet fresh blood.

I offered to step down 3 months ago and yet no elections for a replacement was made. I don't feel it is the corpses duty to organise their own funeral, so if someone can sort a vote to replace me, I will step down with grace.

That both doesn't solve the general problem and isn't directly related to the topic. Start a new thread if you want to make this about you.

I abstain from the vote, and have no comments, except to say that I'm glad to see progress is being made on this front.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:10:12 PM »
Ok, then, yay and can you find a new councillor whilst you are at it. ::)

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 01:55:10 AM »
Yay

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
Totally in favor. I have some ideas on how to improve it, based on my personal experiences with it, and will write them up when I have a chance.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »
The Ayes have it. Membership will be opened and the current Zetetic Council will be abolished and reorganized.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »
Okay, so here's my thoughts. I've previously said a lot about this, but it's important enough to repeat.

Quote from: me from a few months ago
The big problem with the ZC, in my experience with it, is that when ideas are brought up all 5 members are never available to discuss it or vote on it, and discussions consistently stagnate. Then the people who were active get tired of yelling into a void and disappear for months and the cycle continues.

If Tom's plan is implemented (presumably after reunification), I see several things happening. First, the ZC process becomes a lot more democratic. If you care enough to be reading this, you would probably be able to vote under Tom's idea. I like that. The regulars here tend to have good ideas. With careful moderation of the ZC board (I would propose, albeit without thinking about the idea too hard, that the ZC members be able to moderate the board), it could be a great place for the society and Flat Earth Theory to prosper. It would fix the stagnation problem, too, because discussion of the ideas would not be limited to ZC members.

The current ZC is an ineffective organization. I think Tom's proposal would fix the main reasons that's the case.

Since I wrote that, we had the failure that's been the Workshop anyone can post there, but nobody does. I dunno what to make of that.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »
The workshop is different. Only a few people have the necessary knowledge or honed debating experience to write a chapter of a Flat Earth book. Everyone has the ability to make suggestions for what they would like to see for the society and vote on it.