Re: No Transmission Delays to the Moon
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »
I was very surprised to see this one go by un-challenged. 

If a two cars are damaged in such a fashion that you could establish that they crashed into one another at a relative speed of 120mph, it is only evidence of the fact that neither of the cars was stationary if a single car moving at 120mph could never occur. Alternatively, we can bury this strawman and agree that just because an extremely unlikely scenario could hypothetically occur, it is not a likely explanation for what's being observed.

incorrect. There are many ways to determine the speed of each vehicle up to and including weather or not one was stationary. Just like the case of the radio delays of this thread; the entire scene has to be investigated. Skidmarks, vector of the debris, magnitude of the distance of the debris, damage to each vehicle in magnitude and orientation, the surface it happened on, the condition of the occupants of each vehicle, what safety systems were deployed, was there any video..... I could go on but I think you get it.

In the case of your car collision example: Finding a tire or piece of vehicle debris in an unexpected location does not tell the whole story. That is why the investigation must be thorough and the conclusion must be derived from the evidence. In fact the peice of debris thought to be in an unexpected location (in this case the claim being made about communication times) can be accounted for when the whole picture is put together just like the analysis of the audio performed by gg in this thread.

The flatists (making the claims) should put together a comprehensive investigation about these communication issues where the body of evidence supports their claim. Until then we can stick with the already well known facts about the moon missions, the globular nature of the earth, and our ever expanding/refining understanding of the universe around us.

Sorry Pizza brother, your argument does not hold up here.

Rama Set

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 10:05:29 PM »
Teleconferencing is very different in nature from radio communications. If anything, this is something that's analogous to face-to-face conversation, because that's exactly what it's meant to emulate.

It seems like you are intentionally missing the point that conversations with built in delays can still have people talking over one another, just as in no delay conversations.  Gary Green's assertion that humans will behave like humans seems to be a good one.

Because it's standard protocol in radiocommunications to wait for one party to finish before speaking back. This often (but not always) is signified by each party saying "over" at the end of transmission (and I've already showed that this was allegedly commonplace in the Apollo missions). This is standard protocol which is unique to this format of communication (which is why I'm not interested in any false analogies to other means of communication).

A protocol that is not strictly adhered to as evidenced by many of the transcripts posted here.  It does not appear to be relevant to the parts that Gary analyzed.

Yes, I've already posted a NASA transcript to support this assertion.

So you did.  Apologies.

I do not find it plausible, nor backed up. It is based on unsubstantiated assertions which entirely ignore standard protocol.

Whether or not they are following standard protocol has nothing to do with the flow of conversation and whether or not it can make sense in the context of a delayed conversation with over-lapping/interrupting communication.  This whole protocol thread feels more and more like a strawman.

I am not addressing Tom's claims at all, merely pointing out the nonsensical assertions made by Gary. Trying to discredit my standpoint by conflating my views with Tom's (which may or may not be valid - I haven't looked into them) is a move that's unsurprisingly similar to the attempts at saying that radiocommunications is the same as face-to-face conversations made in this thread.

Nonsensical?  That is pretty specious.  Gary never said face-to-face communication was the same, another strawman, he said people are the same, and people interrupt each other at the best of times, with no delay and full body language cuing.

In the segments he posted, very little of the protocol you mention is observed, and so in the absence this, it makes sense that people would display common behaviors.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 12:22:24 AM »
PP, I take the crux of your argument to be that Apollo-Houston communications would never be disordered both because they would follow strict protocols, and because efficiency of communication is of paramount importance.  Is this correct?

I merely disagree with your assertion that this must always be true.  It probably was true quite often.  I imagine that there were plenty of times when it was vitally important that strict communication protocols were required.  But, that doesn't preclude or diminish the plausibility of there being half a dozen 10-second moments among the literally hundreds of hours of recorded communications when Apollo and Houston spoke more casually.

Recall that Apollo radios worked like cell phones do today.  Their operations were identical: voice-activated circuits with full duplex operation.  The astronauts were basically on a phone call for 200 consecutive hours.  That there would be moments among those 200 hours where the astronauts spoke on their radios in the manner in which we speak on our voice-activated, full duplex radios today is hardly implausible.  To me, anyway.

That, by the way, is why I drew the analogy to face-to-face conversation.  Apollo radios work like cell phones.  Cell phones are voice-activated, full duplex radios that emulate face-to-face conversation.  People have disorderly conversations on cell phones all the time, even under ideal conditions.  I don't see what the big problem is with my analogy.  I don't really get how that's so incredibly absurd that you would accuse me of being dishonest or whatever it is you were trying to say.  Lighten up.

Also what RS said.  Regardless of medium, humans communication is often disorderly, even when trying not to be, and even under ideal conditions.  It's not hard for me to imagine that, even if everyone was trying to adhere strictly to protocol for the duration of the, again, nearly 200-hour-long mission, then there would still be accidents and lapses and mistakes every now and again.

But why speak in generalities?  Let's talk about the last clip that I posted, the one about the containers.  Tell me why you think it isn't possible or plausible that, in my final clip, Cernan or Schmitt or whomever it was couldn't have been responding to the first sentence that came from Houston?  I understand Houston to be stating that SCB-3 with the Rover samples in it is on the Rover.  Cernan/Schmitt corrects him.  How is that illogical or impossible or implausible?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:35:10 AM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 02:03:38 AM »
PP, I take the crux of your argument to be that Apollo-Houston communications would never be disordered both because they would follow strict protocols, and because efficiency of communication is of paramount importance.  Is this correct?
For the most part. I'd consider this to be the default state, and would expect both solid evidence and a rational explanation for any claims that it wasn't followed.

I merely disagree with your assertion that this must always be true.  It probably was true quite often.  I imagine that there were plenty of times when it was vitally important that strict communication protocols were required.  But, that doesn't preclude or diminish the plausibility of there being half a dozen 10-second moments among the literally hundreds of hours of recorded communications when Apollo and Houston spoke more casually.
It's not about plausibility of protocol being occasionally ignored. It's about the assertion that someone has gone and done the exact opposite of protocol at the exact time it happened to be convenient for your argument. That is a claim that shouldn't be made lightly, and is simply unacceptable as a throwaway explanation for anomalies in the recording.

But why speak in generalities?  Let's talk about the last clip that I posted, the one about the containers.  Tell me why you think it isn't possible or plausible that, in my final clip, Cernan or Schmitt or whomever it was couldn't have been responding to the first sentence that came from Houston?  I understand Houston to be stating that SCB-3 with the Rover samples in it is on the Rover.  Cernan/Schmitt corrects him.  How is that illogical or impossible or implausible?
As Tom pointed out, in this scenario there is a message that's being outright ignored. That seems highly unlikely. Tom's explanation, in which all questions are answered is simply more consistent with the flow of conversation, and the only address it's received so far is "if you insist."

In the segments he posted, very little of the protocol you mention is observed, and so in the absence this, it makes sense that people would display common behaviors.
No, it makes very little sense that they would suddenly forget all of radiocommunications training and stop being aware of transmission delays just because they switched to a slightly more casual mode of conversation for a brief moment, only to return to being aware of it later during the mission.

incorrect.  <Irrelevant rant snipped>

The flatists (making the claims) should put together a comprehensive investigation about these communication issues where the body of evidence supports their claim. Until then we can stick with the already well known facts about the moon missions, the globular nature of the earth, and our ever expanding/refining understanding of the universe around us.
You could do that, but then what the heck are you doing on this forum? You have come here to confront us. We're quite happy here without you. If you want to convince us of anything, you're going to have to do the heavy-lifting, regardless of whether you think that's fair/just/scientific/fun-fun-goody-feels.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:09:28 AM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 03:56:59 AM »
No, it makes very little sense that they would suddenly forget all of radiocommunications training and stop being aware of transmission delays just because they switched to a slightly more casual mode of conversation for a brief moment, only to return to being aware of it later during the mission.

You think that people behave optimally all the time?  That they never forget or set aside protocol or training based on an emotional state or circumstance? Sorry this strikes me as incredibly naive.

The captain of the Costa Concordia obviously abandoned protocol when he steered too close to rocks, doctors commit malpractice, there are thousands of negligence cases every year.  People often abandon training, protocol, decorum, etc... and you insisting that it is "nonsensical" that an astronaut would do so seems an extremely weak objection, especially when you examine the transcripts GG presented and see that none of the protocol you cited is present.  In the transcripts GG analyzed, they say "yes" and "no" rather than "affirmative" and "negative", they do not say "over".  Your assertion does not appear to have the ubiquity you want it to.

Why don't you pull up a section of audio that is steeped in protocol and if GG has time, he can analyze that to see if it properly accounts for the time delay.  It seems the simplest way to settle this dispute.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
You think that people behave optimally all the time?  That they never forget or set aside protocol or training based on an emotional state or circumstance? Sorry this strikes me as incredibly naive.
You keep trying so hard to hyperbolise my statement. No, of course it doesn't happen all the time. However, the fact that it could happen in rare circumstances does nothing to substantiate your claim that it did happen. That is something you have yet to show any evidence for, instead of expecting us to take it at face value.

Why don't you pull up a section of audio that is steeped in protocol and if GG has time, he can analyze that to see if it properly accounts for the time delay.  It seems the simplest way to settle this dispute.
"The glaring anomaly you've already found is too hard to defend, so please find another glaring anomaly and maybe then we'll talk."

No, I'm not gonna do that. NASA don't make mistakes this big often enough for me to bet on the fact that I'd even find another one quite as extreme, and then you'd probably say that "Oh well, they were pretty close to speaking in order here, so that's fine, right?" We're not going to let this goalpost shifting process even begin.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:45:41 AM by pizaaplanet »

Rama Set

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 02:41:03 PM »
You keep trying so hard to hyperbolise my statement. No, of course it doesn't happen all the time. However, the fact that it could happen in rare circumstances does nothing to substantiate your claim that it did happen. That is something you have yet to show any evidence for, instead of expecting us to take it at face value.

But it did happen. In the transcripts and audio presented in the OP. It seems like you either did not check out that material or are ignoring it.

"The glaring anomaly you've already found is too hard to defend, so please find another glaring anomaly and maybe then we'll talk."

Feel better?

No, I'm not gonna do that. NASA don't make mistakes this big often enough for me to bet on the fact that I'd even find another one quite as extreme, and then you'd probably say that "Oh well, they were pretty close to speaking in order here, so that's fine, right?" We're not going to let this goalpost shifting process even begin.

Ok. It is pretty obvious that your whole straw man about protocol is done. You don't want to address the obvious lack of protocol in the material being discussed and even gave you a chance to discuss material that would align with claim, but you are too defensive to see that. You call it moving the goalposts, but the standard is still, "Can the transcripts make sense in the context of human communication when considering a 2.5s transmission delay on one end." That is the goalpost that Gary set, more or less, if he wants to elaborate, he will, and tha is not changing. I am merely proposing to render discussions of protocol moot by presenting a case where it is indisputable that protocol is being followed. However, it seems like spinning wheels at this point, so I will leave it in Gary's capable hands.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 05:00:49 PM »
If all you're going to do is keep trying to derail this discussion with annoying accusations, then yes, please be done and leave it in the hands of someone more capable.

Unless you have any *evidence* to your claims, shoo. And no, saying "if you're not seeing it then you obviously haven't looked" over and over does not constitute evidence.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:07:35 PM by pizaaplanet »

Rama Set

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »
If all you're going to do is keep trying to derail this discussion with annoying accusations, then yes, please be done and leave it in the hands of someone more capable.

Unless you have any *evidence* to your claims, shoo. And no, saying "if you're not seeing it then you obviously haven't looked" over and over does not constitute evidence.

You have not even addressed the substance of the OP and you accuse me of derailing.  Nice one. I have continually tried to bring it back to the material submitted in the OP and Gary's analysis. if that is derailing to you, then we should end it and I am taking the glassware.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 11:18:24 PM »
You have not even addressed the substance of the OP
Indeed. I have addressed a direct response to the OP.

and you accuse me of derailing.  Nice one.
I disagree. It is not nice, and I would like to ask you to stop.*

I have continually tried to bring it back to the material submitted in the OP and Gary's analysis.
No, you have continually tried to bring it to your interpretation of the material, and shift the goalposts away from proving any of the claims regarding radiocommunications, which you expect us to take for granted because they happen to be convenient to you.

if that is derailing to you, then we should end it and I am taking the glassware.
Thanks, bye.

* - for the record, since I am deeply involved in this discussion, this request is made only on behalf of myself as a poster, and does not in any way constitute moderation
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:20:09 PM by pizaaplanet »

Rama Set

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 12:03:45 AM »
No, you have continually tried to bring it to your interpretation of the material,

Funny how debates work.

and shift the goalposts away from proving any of the claims regarding radiocommunications, which you expect us to take for granted because they happen to be convenient to you.

If you completely disregard what I have been saying, then you might be right.

It still stands that the transcripts Gary analyses make sense in a context of people communicating and responding to one another in an interrupting and slightly disorganized fashion. The objection that astronauts follow protocol and so Gary's interpretation is improbable rings false because nothing in the transcript indicates that protocol is being followed so it is not an appropriate evaluator of their behavior.

I would be happy to see someone challenge the intelligibility of Gary's interpreted transcript, to show specifically where the flaws are rather than mounting a vague challenge.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 12:11:46 AM »
If you completely disregard what I have been saying, then you might be right.
Feel free to back this up. Otherwise, please do what we've both been hinting at for so long and just leave the discussion to the big boys already.

I would be happy to see someone challenge the intelligibility of Gary's interpreted transcript, to show specifically where the flaws are rather than mounting a vague challenge.
Okay, let's bring you up to speed: Gary posts an interpretation, Tom challenges it, pinpointing a specific sentence that's being seemingly ignored. The RE crowd dismisses that because reasons and feels. We're already challenging it, and it's a very specific challenge, too. Now we're just waiting for you to leave and stop muddying the waters so we can talk about it, or to start discussing it instead of trying to shift the focus away.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:13:32 AM by pizaaplanet »

Rama Set

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 12:34:40 AM »
Well go on big boy. I can't wait to see the thrilling conclusion to your compelling and incisive argument. I am sure your cutting insight will shake the halls of power.

But as long as you post arguments, I will rebut, as is my wont, so don't wait for me to go anywhere.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »
Okay, I shall await your rebuttal, then.

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
tl;dr overview of the debate as I see it so far:
-  Tom offers a reductio ad absurdum proof.  He says that the premise that Apollo was real leads to an absurdity demonstrated by the tapes: Apollo/Houston must have sent/received information faster than light can travel, and nothing travels faster than light.  The burden of proving both the validity and soundness of the argument is with the OP and its defenders.
-  I argue that the proof is unsound because it makes the unreasonable assumption that Apollo/Houston would never interrupt one another.  If interruption is allowed, then there is no demonstration of information traveling faster than light.
-  PP says that I have to prove that they would ever interrupt one another.
-  I disagree that I should have to prove that they would have, but only that they (reasonably) could have.  Even so, I have articulated multiple reasons why they would have: full duplex radios, ample opportunity for mistakes/errors/poor judgement, relative importance of other factors (like time) over efficiency, lack of supporting evidence that Apollo communications should have been highly ordered, just to name a few.  I have yet to hear why these claims are unreasonable.

For the most part. I'd consider this to be the default state, and would expect both solid evidence and a rational explanation for any claims that it wasn't followed.

I mostly agree, but I think you have the same obligation to provide both solid evidence and a rational explanation for your claims that Apollo radio comms followed strict protocols and that efficiency was of paramount importance.  The one and only source you've provided to that end is a total dog-shit Wikipedia page that says both, "needs additional citations for verification," and "Some elements of voice procedure are understood across many applications, but significant variations exist."  I think that without actually credible sources that speak directly to the way Apollo communications specifically were organized, then you're just asserting that your interpretation must be the correct one to the exclusion of all other equally plausible interpretations.  I'm unconvinced.  I've already provided you with several perfectly reasonable explanations for why, even if those are default states, there were likely exceptions.  I take your argument to be not that those things couldn't happen, but that they wouldn't happen.  You need evidence to support that claim, otherwise it's just an argument from personal incredulity.

Your 'source' also doesn't have a single word to say about not cutting anyone off, or the timing of messages, or anything even remotely related.  The kinds of signaling protocols you're describing are only useful for half-duplex radios, because if you can't send and receive at the same time.  If you start talking before the other person finishes, then neither of you will hear what the other is saying, and you won't even know that messages were sent.  The same isn't true for full duplex radios.  You can send and receive simultaneously.

It's not about plausibility of protocol being occasionally ignored. It's about the assertion that someone has gone and done the exact opposite of protocol at the exact time it happened to be convenient for your argument. That is a claim that shouldn't be made lightly, and is simply unacceptable as a throwaway explanation for anomalies in the recording.

Or it's a mistake.  Humans often make mistakes.  The longer we do something, the greater the probability of making a mistake.  Mistakes are very often temporary.  Every single thing you've said about their radio comms could be true and these recordings can still easily be explained as momentary lapses in judgement.  Since there are hundreds of hours of dialogue, it's not just possible, it's unsurprising.  In fact, it would be shocking if there weren't.  Remember, the circuits were voice-activated, not button-operated, so a mistake is as easy as talking.

Or they simply didn't have strict signaling protocols because they were on full duplex radios and could rely on quindar tones whenever efficiency was paramount.

Or there were simply blocks of time where none of those things were all that important, like in the container recording when they're just sorting things around them.  Not exactly a tense moment.  Thinking about the mission timeline, I'd actually expect this to be most of the time.  The astronauts were highly autonomous.  Other than when actually piloting the capsules, landing, taking off, burns, maneuvers, etc, I'm struggling to think of why it would be so important to them to not interrupt one another.  And, I can think of a good reason not to: time.  It's one of their most limited resources, and it makes sense to me that one would be willing to forgo efficiency in favor of rate.  Efficiency simply wasn't always paramount.

As Tom pointed out, in this scenario there is a message that's being outright ignored. That seems highly unlikely. Tom's explanation, in which all questions are answered is simply more consistent with the flow of conversation, and the only address it's received so far is "if you insist."

I dunno what else I can say to him if he's merely going to insist that "If you have any, yeah, some of those today" is a question.  I don't buy it, I don't think he's asking a question, and I think he's merely finishing his thought.  You merely insist that it's highly unlikely that Cernan would ignore a message.  That's just an argument from personal incredulity.  You both ignore the most important factor, that you can hear the the echo of Houston interrupting Cernan in the delayed transmission.  You can hear these echos in all of them.

I understand Houston to be stating that SCB-3 with the Rover samples in it is on the Rover.  Cernan/Schmitt corrects him mid-sentence, either because he was in a hurry, or because he made a mistake for any number of reasons, or because he just didn't think it was a big deal to interrupt Houston (maybe he was in a bad mood), or because Parker fucked Cernan's wife and Cernan hates that little shit, or because pick any number of perfectly reasonable explanations.  How is that illogical or impossible or implausible?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:53:14 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:02 PM »
Firstly, it is blatantly absurd that the astronauts would interrupt Huston in the manner described.

Secondly, according to the recording the Astronaut responds "No" immediately after Huston asks the question, as if they were right next to each other in real-time. It is against all odds that the Astronauts would interrupt Huston and then Huston would happen ask a question with the exact length, down to millisecond accuracy, that the delay takes for the Astronaut's reponse to get to earth. How is this incredible coincidence explained?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »
No explanation is needed, NASA can not tell a lie.
God is real.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
Firstly, it is blatantly absurd that the astronauts would interrupt Huston in the manner described.
What's so absurd about interrupting someone when they're talking, especially when there's a significant delay built into the conversation? ???
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »

If you insist.  I've already provided you with several reasons for why they would.

Secondly, according to the recording the Astronaut responds "No" immediately after Huston asks the question, as if they were right next to each other in real-time. It is against all odds that the Astronauts would interrupt Huston and then Huston would happen ask a question with the exact length, down to millisecond accuracy, that the delay takes for the Astronaut's reponse to get to earth. How is this incredible coincidence explained?

As I've mentioned before, I do not believe that Parker is asking a question.  "Copy that.  We've also got SCB-3 with the Rover samples in it on the Rover, if you have any...yeah, you have some of those today," doesn't sound at all like a question to me.  It doesn't sound like a question to me when I listen to the audio (here it is again).  It certainly isn't inflected like one.

I interpret Parker's statement like this: "I understand.  Also, the thing with the rover samples in it is on the rover if you have any samples...Oh yeah, you do have some samples today."

I'm sure that's "blatantly absurd," but it makes sense to my enfeebled, sheeple brain.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 09:56:05 PM »
Gary, why would highly trained astronauts in the middle of a mission which has to go absolutely perfectly, with little room for error, randomly interrupt mission control? Interrupting people on Earth is rude, but interrupting people on the moon seems downright suicidal to me.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ