Rama Set

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #440 on: June 27, 2016, 03:10:46 PM »
If I was Sansa, I would be mad as fuck that a Bastard gets to rule House Stark.
Why? She has more maneuverability now. There's a lot of restriction that comes with leadership. Also, she loves Jon. She was just saying how she sees him as a Stark and wanted him to have the master bedroom.

Maneuverability to do what?  Her whole goal after fleeing King's Landing was to take back Winterfell, and once done, she just moves on?  I don't know, it seems like John is the one who needs maneuverability to deal with the coming battle with the Night King.   

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 27, 2016, 08:52:38 PM »
Maneuverability to do what?  Her whole goal after fleeing King's Landing was to take back Winterfell, and once done, she just moves on?  I don't know, it seems like John is the one who needs maneuverability to deal with the coming battle with the Night King.   
Nah, he doesn't need maneuverability for that. All he needs to do is unite people for the fight.

Sansa is going to be a good manipulator, just watch. She'll handle things behind the scenes and she'll be able to leave Winterfell to do this. I bet she's the one to stop Little Finger in his never ending quest for power. A quest that might take them both to King's Landing.

« Reply #442 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »
Forgive me for being dense, but why was Arya able to change faces? I thought she lost her chance at being able to do that when she renounced her no-oneness.

That moment was hella satisfying, though. Plus imagine how stoked she's going to be when she hears that Jon and Sansa are back in Winterfell. ;D

George

« Reply #443 on: June 27, 2016, 10:59:09 PM »
Arya's storyline has felt all kinds of wrong to me this season, as I'm sure everyone here has already picked up on.  It feels too neat and clean, in a very un-GoT sort of way.  Maybe I'm mixing up the lore of the books and the show, but I recall it being made very clear that the Faceless Men are not there to teach assassination skills to people who are "just passing through."  They regard what they do and how they do it as a solemn religious duty, and the abuse of it as sacrilege.  I don't see them letting Arya go, I really don't.  Well, let me put it this way - I highly doubt it'll be as amicable a parting in the books.

« Reply #444 on: June 27, 2016, 11:50:30 PM »
Arya's storyline has felt all kinds of wrong to me this season, as I'm sure everyone here has already picked up on.  It feels too neat and clean, in a very un-GoT sort of way.  Maybe I'm mixing up the lore of the books and the show, but I recall it being made very clear that the Faceless Men are not there to teach assassination skills to people who are "just passing through."  They regard what they do and how they do it as a solemn religious duty, and the abuse of it as sacrilege.  I don't see them letting Arya go, I really don't.  Well, let me put it this way - I highly doubt it'll be as amicable a parting in the books.

unless the faceless men never intended to make arya a faceless man in the first place.  i don't buy that arya stark just happened to cross paths with jaqen in westeros.  i think the faceless men went looking for and found her.

the actor who plays jaqen basically said as much in an interview, and it also makes a lot of sense in terms of what we know about the faceless men.  here's an example: jaqen sends arya to the docks for her first assignment, and when arya asks what she's looking for, jaqen replies that he wouldn't send her if he knew what she would see.  when arya reports back, jaqen clearly knows all about the lender, and when arya points out that he obviously did know what she would see, he basically says that it was a play on words; he knew what was waiting, but lol didn't kno if ud see it or not.  in other words, there are lots of hints that the faceless men, either through observation and deduction, some magic, or both, are keenly aware of at least some future events.  in this books this is even more clear with all the stuff about their obsession with collecting information.

in other words, i think the whole point of the faceless men trials was not to get arya to become no one; it was the exact opposite, to equip her to be arya stark of winterfell.  she's vital to the endgame.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2016, 12:10:48 AM »
I don't see them letting Arya go, I really don't.  Well, let me put it this way - I highly doubt it'll be as amicable a parting in the books.

Well, it's not like it was entirely amicable. They did try to kill her, after all. I thought that her being able to best the Waif is what earned her her life and her place among the Faceless Men (I forget exactly what the guy said but it was something like "You're here, and she's up there. Congratulations, you are now No One."), but then she was like "lol no fuq you." And I assumed her being like "lol no fuq you" and rejecting the Faceless Men meant rejecting all the powers/skills that come with it, but I guess not.

Rama Set

« Reply #446 on: June 28, 2016, 01:04:13 AM »
I think what she was rejecting was leaving her identity behind in favor of serving as a faceless one. She had people to kill and for good reasons. She had no desire to run around assassinating actresses for petty vendettas.

« Reply #447 on: June 28, 2016, 01:55:00 AM »
Aww, you know what I just realized? Dany won't be the first female leader of Westeros anymore. Cersei took that away from her.

Also I'm surprised that Cersei was so quickly chosen to be Queen without any debate.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 28, 2016, 02:52:51 AM »
They seemed to have skipped over a lot of details in that episode.  I don't care, that was the best finale and this is the best season yet.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #449 on: June 28, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
There seemed to be a pretty strong feminist message in the finale, with Cersei taking the throne, the Daenerys, Olenna Tyrell, Sandsnakes and Yara Greyjoy alliance emerging, and characters like Theon and Tyrion going a bit wimpy and subservient. I guess Benioff and Weiss have been stung by the criticism of all the rapey stuff in the past couple of seasons.

Rama Set

« Reply #450 on: June 28, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »
Aww, you know what I just realized? Dany won't be the first female leader of Westeros anymore. Cersei took that away from her.

Also I'm surprised that Cersei was so quickly chosen to be Queen without any debate.

I think they let her have it because she just blew up the Queen, a bunch of the ranking nobles and the hierarchy of the church along with countless peasants. They were probably shitting their pants. + #themountain

I had no problem with it whatsoever. Although it begs the question, who would be the rightful heir, if we assumed British succession protocols?

« Reply #451 on: June 28, 2016, 12:16:19 PM »
I had no problem with it whatsoever. Although it begs the question, who would be the rightful heir, if we assumed British succession protocols?

The rightful heir at this time should really be Daenerys. Robert's claim to the throne was the marriage of his grandparents, Ormund Baratheon and Rhaelle Targaryen. The whole Baratheon line is dead, so if we backtrack to this marriage and then follow the Targaryen line down, the only person left and the closest heir to Tommen is Daenerys, Tommen's second cousin once removed.

If this were CK2, though, I'd definitely put money on Jaime before Cersei.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:21:28 PM by trekky0623 »

Rama Set

« Reply #452 on: June 29, 2016, 03:51:57 PM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 03, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »
If I was Sansa, I would be mad as fuck that a Bastard gets to rule House Stark.
Why? She has more maneuverability now. There's a lot of restriction that comes with leadership. Also, she loves Jon. She was just saying how she sees him as a Stark and wanted him to have the master bedroom.

She never said he would be the only one in it. :^)

« Reply #454 on: July 04, 2016, 02:08:17 AM »
Also, she loves Jon. She was just saying how she sees him as a Stark and wanted him to have the master bedroom.

She never said he would be the only one in it. :^)

I guess now that it's (basically) confirmed that they're cousins instead of half-siblings, shipping them is slightly less bad...

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 04, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
But now when Jon marries Dany it's going to be weird.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 09, 2017, 04:18:05 AM »
>tfw nobody is talking about this season

I started to write a thing complaining about Arya's skills again, and then the ending happened and holy shit.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 09, 2017, 05:34:14 AM »
Arya is awesome!
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell