Moon shrimp data
« on: December 14, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »
So caught the news this morning and a Chinese bot will land on the moon at some point today. Question is; will they find moon shrimp evidence or will it be seen as another hoax. I look forward to the news images they release. Lets hope they do, I can't wait to see what the conspiracy theorists point out in the images this time. Thing is if the last one was such an obvious hoax, then why would the bbc even show it on the news?! Who's getting paid off and if the hoax was so obvious then why is it still on the news?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Moon shrimp data
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »
I hope the Chinese step up their game this time and make it some what believable.  They did a horrible job on their fake space walk.  Maybe they learned from their previous mistakes. 

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
Thing is if the last one was such an obvious hoax, then why would the bbc even show it on the news?! Who's getting paid off and if the hoax was so obvious then why is it still on the news?

Fact-checking in the news isn't what it used to be.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »
Apparently they already landed. But where are the video from this event? All I've seen released from China is a news announcement.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:35:47 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
Did you expect the paparazzi to be there to photograph the landing or something?
Also: http://english.cntv.cn/special/lunarmission/index.shtml
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:05:01 PM by markjo »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »
Did you expect the paparazzi to be there to photograph the landing or something?

Actual video and telemetry data would be nice in the face of their space walk controversy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:42:25 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »

Actual video evidence would be nice in the face of their space walk controversy.

While I agree that the space walk videos were highly suspect, calling them a controversy is pretty off-base.

OH THE... outrage???

Stop the presses! Youtube commenters and conspiracy theorist websites alike are in an uproar over China's alleged fake space walks.

Nobody really cares.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »
While I agree that the space walk videos were highly suspect, calling them a controversy is pretty off-base.

OH THE... outrage???

Stop the presses! Youtube commenters and conspiracy theorist websites alike are in an uproar over China's alleged fake space walks.

Nobody really cares.

China released dialogue between the taikonauts of a successful launch hours before the craft actually launched:

http://www.david-kilgour.com/2008/Sep_29_2008_03.php

China posts fake rocket launch story

CHINA'S leading Xinhua news agency reported the successful flight of the Shenzhou VII - complete with detailed dialogue between the astronauts -  hours before the nation's third-ever manned space mission had even lifted off.

On Thursday morning, Xinhua posted a story on its website saying the Shenzhou capsule had been successfully tracked flying over the Pacific Ocean even though the rocket and its three astronauts had not yet been launched.

The article, dated September 27, described the rocket in flight, complete with a sharply detailed dialogue between the three astronauts.

Excerpts are below:

"After this order, signal lights all were switched on, various data show up on rows of screens, hundreds of technicians staring at the screens, without missing any slightest changes ...

"One minute to go!' 'Changjiang No.1 found the target! ...

"The firm voice of the controller broke the silence of the whole ship. Now, the target is captured 12 seconds ahead of the predicted time ...

"The air pressure in the cabin is normal!

"Ten minutes later, the ship disappears below the horizon. Warm clapping and excited cheering breaks the night sky, echoing across the silent Pacific Ocean."

An editor at Xinhau told AFP that the story had been posted due to a technical problem.

"We dealt with it after we had found it," the editor said.

The Shenzhou VII was launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwestern China  shorlty after 9pm (AEST) Thursday.

The mission, expected to last three to four days, is devoted almost entirely to the execution of the spacewalk, and is expected to help China master the technology for docking two orbiters to create the country's first orbiting space station in the next few years.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:44:26 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
Also:

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »
old man, let me be clear. I think China was faking it too. I think there may be a minority that does give a crap about it but such accusations are in no way in the hearts and hive-like minds of society.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »
old man, let me be clear. I think China was faking it too. I think there may be a minority that does give a crap about it but such accusations are in no way in the hearts and hive-like minds of society.

Great, then we can discount this "moon landing" as additional propaganda and need not discuss the matter further.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »

Great, then we can discount this "moon landing" as additional propaganda and need not discuss the matter further.

not really. This is the same thing you've done countless times.

A fake moon rock exists > All moon rocks are fake

A moon rock kinda sorta looks like a squirrel > All moon pictures are fake

Hollywood can make realistic movies about space > All space videos are made by Hollywood

China desperately faked a moon walk > China will never get to the moon

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
If China faked a space mission in front of a world audience, which was supposed to be an incremental step of technological achievement, then how are we supposed to trust them on this next achievement of which very little media was released?

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »
If China faked a space mission in front of a world audience, which was supposed to be an incremental step of technological achievement, then how are we supposed to trust them on this next achievement of which very little media was released?

I agree, lack of trust is warranted. Does it mean it didn't happen? I'm afraid not. This is where you and I differ. You tend to make absolute judgements about things like this... China, rocks, squirrels.

Conspiracy theorists just really reach at straws with no factual basis and tons of conjecture.

So let me clear... I'm not saying that China just successfully landed on the moon but for some reason, you want to imply that they didn't.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 05:13:02 PM »
"Kim Jing, the Chinese chess champion, was found to be a cheater and a fraud... but then he went on to win several more chess champions around the country so it's all good."

I'm afraid it does not work that way.

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »
How are you having a hard time understanding this? Your example paints me as someone who would just let it slide. Your political tactics seem to even slip into upper fora discussion I gather.

I'll be even more clear...

We (as in you and me) do not know if China just landed on the moon or not.  <---- FACT

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 05:30:16 PM »
A cheating chess champion is a fraud for life. It simply does not matter if he now claims to have won a chess championship match behind closed doors.

His reputation was ruined when he decided to cheat. A fraud is a fraud, and there is no erasing that fact.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 05:35:38 PM »
A cheating chess champion is a fraud for life. It simply does not matter if he now claims to have won a chess championship match behind closed doors.

His reputation was ruined when he decided to cheat. A fraud is a fraud, and there is no erasing that fact.

Again, you are painting me as someone who would let it slide. Just stop.

Furthermore, a cheating chess champion is an individual. A government of a country of billions of people is a dynamic entity and governments in general are likely to change their act when something is exposed.

It's happened with the US of A.

In any case, I'm not here to defend China. I actually reposted this story before Markjo let me know it was already being discussed. I see it as information to be discussed or merely taken in, not affirmation in one way or the other.

Try some agnosticism, it's healthy.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »

Tom, rather than derailing this thread with completely irrelevant chess analogies, why don't you try discussing the topic at hand; namely, what sort of tasty recipes do you suppose that the Chinese will come up with for all of those moon shrimp that they are surely looking to harvest?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:57:49 PM by markjo »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 05:48:49 AM »
The much simpler, more obvious, and fact-based explanation is that China's stat-run news agency prepared the article in advance of the event because they're just the mouthpiece for China's propaganda machine.  Xinhua is run by the Propaganda Department.  Literally.  That's what it's called.  Propaganda machines usually aren't super concerned with journalistic ethics.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.