Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Plans for improving the site
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:27:25 PM »
So, for a quick run-down of our current status:
  • The forum is up and running (obviously) with a decent complement of moderators.
  • The wiki is up and running, under the benevolent dictatorship of pizaaplanet.
  • Our new homepage is up, and has been submitted to Google and Bing.
  • The Flat Earth Library is up temporarily with an nginx-like index.
Plans for the future:

Forum
  • Serve static assets using CloudFlare to improve loading times.
  • Supertails has drafted up some rules that I need to review and then formalise.
  • Get MathJax or similar support installed.
  • Get the SMF source into git, with each of our patches properly tracked as a separate commit.
Wiki
  • pizaaplanet???????????????
  • Serve the wiki using CloudFlare as static content, except for people who need to edit it.
  • Get the MediaWiki source into git.
  • I want to look at moving to something which doesn't suck like Gitit, but this isn't a priority.
Homepage
  • I'm hoping to get more people involved in writing up posts for the homepage. Hopefully we can turn it into a regular blog feed and get some subscribers to the RSS.
  • Rethink caching strategies. The homepage is currently served using CloudFlare, but this can be tweaked to provide the best balance between performance and flexibility.
Library
  • I'm going to rethink the way this is hosted entirely. I'll probably move it from Sydney to somewhere in the US, for two reasons: first, I can back up the contents to here and have intercontinental redundancy; second, it's (on average) nearer to everyone in the world who might want to upload content.
  • Once this is stable, I'm going to offer IAM credentials to upload files to the Library for anyone who wants to contribute. There will be some form of automatic indexing using S3 metadata to describe and maybe categorise documents, so we can fairly easily produce lists of available content in the Library.
Miscellaneous
  • Set up monitoring for all of the above.
  • Set up a bug tracker so that these issues can be tracked more easily.
  • Get a wildcard SSL certificate for *.tfes.org for secure forum/wiki logins (and possibly other purposes).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:39:53 AM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

Re: Status update, and where to go from here
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:07:31 PM »
This site is becoming pretty awesome.

Sorry to make yet more requests, but can we have a link to the library mounted on the forum and the home page?

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:03:24 AM »
We have a FES chat room on my mumble now. Its on 24/7, if people want a more private area they can, it might not be to everyone's tastes but its always up anyway.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »
Sorry to make yet more requests, but can we have a link to the library mounted on the forum and the home page?

Yes, soon.

I've been a little inundated with work-related matters the past couple of days, so I've gotten less done than I would have liked. Hopefully I'll get rules sorted out today; if not, then definitely the weekend.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »

Yes, soon.

I've been a little inundated with work-related matters the past couple of days, so I've gotten less done than I would have liked. Hopefully I'll get rules sorted out today; if not, then definitely the weekend.
We can all see how hard you guys are working. Dont worry about it. Me asking isn't me expecting something tomorrow. I've been well conditioned by .org.

Thork

Re: Plans for improving the site
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
Probably another sticky that can be unstickied. 2 years since this was last used.