Why can some people post low-content while others can't?
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:52:52 PM »
I notice that people are getting banned from this forum for posting low-content, however I also notice that some other people who post low-content don't get any bans. Is it because the rules apply to some and it does not apply to others?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Why can some people post low-content while others can't?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
I notice that people are getting banned from this forum for posting low-content
It happens very rarely.

however I also notice that some other people who post low-content don't get any bans. Is it because the rules apply to some and it does not apply to others?
No, it's because the rules are designed in such a way that a ban is an absolute last resort. If you have a look at the rule in question, you will notice that it is explicitly quite lax:

6. Avoid including material which does not contribute to the point you are making

This is a fairly vague rule, and as such, it will not be strictly enforced on a per-post basis. Rather, members who repeatedly make posts with a large amount of extraneous material will be asked to stop, and if they fail to do so, given a warning. After no less than three warnings for this offence, members may be restricted from posting in certain fora in order to prevent their verbosity from cluttering up debate threads.

Most people get warned a few times and then cut it out. Others get warned and choose to take it as a challenge. If you look, for example, at neutrino's recent posts (no idea why I'm bringing him up in particular, clearly just a random selection on my part), you will notice that he is not a contributive member who occasionally makes the odd off-topic quip. Most of the stuff he says is off-topic quips, and when the offending threads get moved to an appropriate forum, he just creates new ones.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:30:47 AM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:16:13 PM »
I do agree with you about the double standard but they actually do allow quite a bit here compared to other sites.

Ultimately this forum isn't a democracy. Someone owns it and they get to call the shots and be inconsistent or allow inconsistency if they feel like it.

You can always start your own forum where you can do what you want. For myself, I just leave for awhile when I get tired of it.

“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »
I notice that people are getting banned from this forum for posting low-content, however I also notice that some other people who post low-content don't get any bans. Is it because the rules apply to some and it does not apply to others?

Out of curiosity, who are all these people you've seen banned? That might help answer the question.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)