Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: Distance Experiment Idea?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 11:06:14 PM »
What is still being investigated?  There are plenty of flight records that show that you are completely 100% wrong.

What flight records? None have been posted. And how do they prove a map which does not exist wrong?

How about a flight that is happening right now?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SAA281

South African Airways 281
SAA281 / SA281
EN ROUTE AND ON TIME
Arriving in over 9 hours

Speed   445 mph (Planned: 544 mph)   
Altitude   32,000 ft (Planned: 32,000 ft)
Distance Planned: 4,851 mi (Direct: 5,169 mi)

https://www.google.com/search?q=South+African+Airways+281&oq=South+African+Airways+281&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Please provide an  FE map that would allow any of the above to happen.

What about it? Flat Earth maps are currently under investigation. If you have some data to contribute I would suggest starting a formal thread to collect such information to share.

I tried that, no one would answer me.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 04:45:56 AM »
What am I supposed to explain? I was given a flight prediction for a flight time which might occur, not a flight record, and two proposed hypothetical map possibilities for a Flat Earth which are currently being investigated. The argument made seems a little weak,.

So am I interpreting correctly, that a flight record would be an acceptable standard of evidence for you?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 05:42:10 AM »
What about it? Flat Earth maps are currently under investigation. If you have some data to contribute I would suggest starting a formal thread to collect such information to share. *
The contribution is that the investigation on the Flat Earth maps can conclusively end thanks to the airline data provided here and accessible online.  Because of this data, all current Flat Earth map proposals are known to be false.   Not slightly off,  not an approximate representation, but fundamentally flawed.  This is a significant contribution to help the members of this forum and society discover and accept the truth about the shape of the Earth.  The data and it's application is not presented to antagonize or mislead, it is presented as factual information that help us accept truth and disregard falsehood.

*emphasis added by myself

Not all map possibilities have been considered. There is no accepted Flat Earth map. There are only proposals which have been made by a few people, with no attempts at accuracy except to show basic features of the model.

In order to prove a Flat Earth wrong you will need to show that it is impossible to make a Flat Earth map. You will need to find logs of all airline flights, map all continental distance and layout possibilities under monopole and bipole models, consider that there are many airports which do not have direct nonstop routes between each other, look into jet streams, and study flight delays which are said to happen to 25% of all flights. And only then, once thoroughly investigated, can you claim that there is no possible Flat Earth map. I expect nothing less from someone who declares any map to be impossible.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 08:02:56 AM »

Ah Tom! The old Bertrand Russell “Celestial Teapot” defence. The absurdist’s bolthole, irrationalism’s last-ditch defence. Prove my nonsense wrong. 
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »
I am not asking him to prove anything wrong, I am showing what is necessary to actually be able to say that it is impossible, as many have claimed.

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 08:50:28 AM »
What about it? Flat Earth maps are currently under investigation. If you have some data to contribute I would suggest starting a formal thread to collect such information to share. *
The contribution is that the investigation on the Flat Earth maps can conclusively end thanks to the airline data provided here and accessible online.  Because of this data, all current Flat Earth map proposals are known to be false.   Not slightly off,  not an approximate representation, but fundamentally flawed.  This is a significant contribution to help the members of this forum and society discover and accept the truth about the shape of the Earth.  The data and it's application is not presented to antagonize or mislead, it is presented as factual information that help us accept truth and disregard falsehood.

Not all map possibilities have been considered. There is no accepted Flat Earth map. There are only proposals which have been made by a few people, with no attempts at accuracy except to show basic features of the model.

In order to prove a Flat Earth wrong you will need to show that it is impossible to make a Flat Earth map. You will need to find logs of all airline flights, map all continental distance and layout possibilities under monopole and bipole models, consider that there are many airports which do not have direct nonstop routes between each other, look into jet streams, and study flight delays which are said to happen to 25% of all flights. And only then, once thoroughly investigated, can you claim that there is no possible Flat Earth map. I expect nothing less from someone who declares any map to be impossible.
You do not need details of every single flight.  A representative sample will produce a map, or actually an object that is the shape of the earth.

Your aim is not to produce a flat earth map, but a map that shows the shape of the earth, whatever it may be.  How can you say the earth is flat if you have not done the work necessary?

Did you answer my question about satellites and sunrise/sunset in your location?

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
I am not asking him to prove anything wrong, I am showing what is necessary to actually be able to say that it is impossible, as many have claimed.

Better yet!

Tom has an idea the Earth is flat, every available map is round earth (or based on) and work for a spherical planet, all maps currently put forward by flat earth are demonstrably wrong (see above). Tom wants you to prove that a flat earth map is impossible (see Celestial Teapot), there by doing all the work that he and the FE community is unable/unwilling to do, or he says we don’t have a point. Forgetting that we have maps that do work, all day every day.

Who do you think reader, needs to prove his point, and who do you think is hiding behind his (only?) ability, that of cyclical argumentation, and fingers in the ears Lala-isms?
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »

OK - so if I did that - you'd believe me?!?!

If you'll promise to accept this as definitive evidence of the impossibility of the Flat Earth - then I'd be more than happy to undertake that work!   I already have the means to do it (I write flight simulator software for a living) - and I have nothing else important to do next weekend.

All that is necessary is to produce four cities in a rough square with non stop flights between each one and the other three.   This will make up a quadrilateral with two diagonals.  If the world is flat then the diagonal distances will be geometrically consistent with the length of the four sides and that fact can be trivially demonstrated with geometry that's been known since the Ancient Greeks.

If the world is round, then the diagonals won't agree.

Would you really accept that evidence?
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »

If you'll promise to accept this as definitive evidence of the impossibility of the Flat Earth - then I'd be more than happy to undertake that work!   I already have the means to do it (I write flight simulator software for a living) - and I have nothing else important to do next weekend.

All that is necessary is to produce four cities in a rough square with non stop flights between each one and the other three.   This will make up a quadrilateral with two diagonals.  If the world is flat then the diagonal distances will be geometrically consistent with the length of the four sides and that fact can be trivially demonstrated with geometry that's been known since the Ancient Greeks.

That sounds like a good project and use of your time, far better than just complaining all of the time.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
Who do you think reader, needs to prove his point, and who do you think is hiding behind his (only?) ability, that of cyclical argumentation, and fingers in the ears Lala-isms?

What do you think Tom would accept as evidence of flight times? If we bought him a ticket and a watch would that do it? lol
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »

That sounds like a good project and use of your time, far better than just complaining all of the time.

You just fell short of saying that you'd accept this as evidence.

Will you accept such a demonstration as "proof" - if you will, then I'll do the work.   If you won't, then it's a waste of my time.

* I pick four cities.
* I find widely published flight times and distances between them.
* I construct a quadrilateral from those distances.
* I calculate whether the diagonals "fit" to within a reasonable degree of error.

If they do, then I'd be forced to admit that the earth was flat.

If they do not - then you'd be forced to admit that it's not.

So...what's your answer - would you accept this methodology?

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »

Oh for God's sake.  Surely someone has come up with a rough draft map in all these years that comes close to what you believe.  Let's see a draft and go from there.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 05:04:51 PM »

There already is proof of flight times right now.  Flight tracker shows every commercial airplane in the air at all times.   Stop ignoring the evidence.

https://flightaware.com/live/

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »

Will you accept such a demonstration as "proof" - if you will, then I'll do the work.   If you won't, then it's a waste of my time.

* I pick four cities.
* I calculate whether the diagonals "fit" to within a reasonable degree of error.

I would recommend flight logs from actual flights. Flight time predictions will vary and major airliners have reported that 25% of flights are delayed. Choose locations that do not use jetstreams. I look forward to your findings, as most of us here do not hold that the airlines are involved in any sort of conspiracy.

Acceptance will depend on how thorough and transparent your investigation is. Some may have questions. I would suggest providing links to all sources and showing all math.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:22:51 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 05:40:27 PM »

* I pick four cities.

I would recommend flight logs from actual flights. Flight time predictions will vary and major airliners have reported that 25% of flights are delayed. Choose locations that do not use jetstreams. I look forward to your findings, as most of us here do not hold that the airlines are involved in any sort of conspiracy.

Acceptance will depend on how thorough and transparent your investigation is. Some may have questions. I would suggest providing links to all sources and showing all math.
Arrival and departure times for many flights are available on line, have you tried using those as a starting point to your research?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 05:46:37 PM »

* I pick four cities.

Arrival and departure times for many flights are available on line, have you tried using those as a starting point to your research?

Your claim, your research. I am only responsible for my own claims.

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »

* I pick four cities.

It would help my research if you were able to see how observations at your location compare to those on dateandtime.  Would others please also help.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 05:54:04 PM »

* I pick four cities.

It would help my research if you were able to see how observations at your location compare to those on dateandtime.  Would others please also help.

We are talking about distances and flight times here. Please stay on topic.

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 05:58:10 PM »

* I pick four cities.

We are talking about distances and flight times here. Please stay on topic.
OK, see other discussion.  Regardless of what the shape of the earth is why do you not analyse flight times as an initial start to determining the true shape.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »

* I pick four cities.

Delayed flights can be accounted for by taking the SHORTEST time for any flight.

Jetstream effects can be accounted for by taking the average of the outgoing and return flights.

There would of course be links to all of the airline websites or to whatever other sources are used.

The geometry can be simple planar stuff that would be accessible to anyone who has high-school geometry, trig and algebra.

Again - if four widely space cities have distances that do not form a planar quadrilateral (because the two diagonal distances are not consistent) - then the world isn't flat.