Offline ErnestV1

• After digging into FE WIKI, still a RE believer
    • View Profile
In some regard, older flat earth models made more sense to me except that time-zones and sunrise/ sunset/ day and night does not work at all with them (having traveled abroad and spoken with family in vastly different time-zones has made it abundantly clear that the sun definitely does not shine across the entire plane of the earth... if that is what it is).

I see that the animation of the day and night cycling across the earth where someone has made a valiant effort to explain the action of day/night across the plane of the earth... simplistic because it does not show the lunar 30 day cycle, but it at least is a good effort.

So how does FE explain that the sun and moon appear to set without a curvature? Along with that, I have seen a mountain cast an inverted shadow at sunrise across the face of a cloud, not to mention watching the shadow of night chasing my airplane as I fly from east to west (by chasing I mean that every time I look it gets closer to the airplane). If the earth is flat, what is casting that shadow where there is clear definition of night and day that is darker farther east on the ground than it is on the clouds behind the airplane.

I would think that by looking at that animated model of the sun moving around the planar earth that whatever is casting the shadow would be more like a shroud near the light source, therefore since the sun is setting (again... how does the sun set in this model without curvature) in the West, the ground to the east would remain light longer since the rays of the sun travel from sun (in the West) toward the East.
I love how the sun shines on the bottom of the clouds and sunrise and sunset!

We may disagree on many things, but I will always try to respect everyone and thereby reflect the love of Christ.

In some regard, older flat earth models made more sense to me except that time-zones and sunrise/ sunset/ day and night does not work at all with them (having traveled abroad and spoken with family in vastly different time-zones has made it abundantly clear that the sun definitely does not shine across the entire plane of the earth... if that is what it is).

I see that the animation of the day and night cycling across the earth where someone has made a valiant effort to explain the action of day/night across the plane of the earth... simplistic because it does not show the lunar 30 day cycle, but it at least is a good effort.

So how does FE explain that the sun and moon appear to set without a curvature? Along with that, I have seen a mountain cast an inverted shadow at sunrise across the face of a cloud, not to mention watching the shadow of night chasing my airplane as I fly from east to west (by chasing I mean that every time I look it gets closer to the airplane). If the earth is flat, what is casting that shadow where there is clear definition of night and day that is darker farther east on the ground than it is on the clouds behind the airplane.

I would think that by looking at that animated model of the sun moving around the planar earth that whatever is casting the shadow would be more like a shroud near the light source, therefore since the sun is setting (again... how does the sun set in this model without curvature) in the West, the ground to the east would remain light longer since the rays of the sun travel from sun (in the West) toward the East.
The extent of the only answer I've ever seen here begins and ends with 'refraction' for how the sun appears to rise and set. There's some room in there for perspective, but refraction is the final 'say' as it were. How? Haven't seen a straight answer yet, or a formula (though if someone has the second and I've missed it that would be awesome) that sets out how this works differently for a flat Earth, than how it appears to for a round.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
The extent of the only answer I've ever seen here begins and ends with 'refraction' for how the sun appears to rise and set. There's some room in there for perspective, but refraction is the final 'say' as it were. How? Haven't seen a straight answer yet, or a formula (though if someone has the second and I've missed it that would be awesome) that sets out how this works differently for a flat Earth, than how it appears to for a round.

There is an equation of sorts out on the Wiki:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Electromagnetic_Accelerator

The weird 'cube-root-of-the-fourth-power' thing alongside the 3/4 multiplier looks like it came out of some calculus...but the work behind this equation is left hidden...which is always deeply suspicious.   The constant (modestly named "The Bishop Constant") is left in the equation - but it's value is said to be unknown because it requires some experimental work.   Truly it doesn't - you should be able to simply plug in the location of the sun and the coordinate of the local horizon and with three knowns - your constant should pop right out at you.

Sadly it's been there since 2011 and there are references to it on "the other site" dating back to 2010, so I guess there isn't a whole lot of work being done on it.

It doesn't actually work.  No matter what the value of the constant is - you can't ever get the top of the sun to peek over the horizon as it clearly does every morning and every evening.

So the math behind it is DEFINITELY incorrect.

The "get out clause" for this is that it's claimed to be a simplification of some much more complex expression...but without seeing that, what's in the Wiki has to go onto the "bullshit" pile.

Sorry Mr Bishop - gotta call you on this one.   Show us your work or it's nonsense.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?