Offline seekerfr

• Lost on a Flat Earth
    • View Profile
Re: What convinced you that the Earth is flat?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
I should ditch the insight of some of the brightest minds on the planet
Should or should not. It depends on your way of feeling the things : you could choose to absolutely agree one who says something you feel not true or are unable to verify or questions you...
But that's probably too easy to believe freely without having to warn our brains...  I mean you probably take Auguste Piccard for a clown, thinking like you are  ;)
Globes are not meant for educational purposes!

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »
Didn't have to be convinced because obsessed by the Earth shape since I am young. As far I can remember, it became more obvious when at 10, I received a globe for a birthday and so, had the time to work on it at home instead of some free minutes at school.
Shortly, I had the feeling that something was wrong between the pictures I saw on my school books and their representation on the globe.
At 16, I went to a balloon summer camp and what I saw just confirmed my doubts.

Born in end of July, I was always celebrated with some "moon landing birthday cards" so the space missions interested me a lot and... again, I was doubting... So with the years, I bought a lot of telescopes, walked the French Alps to be high enough trying to find some evidence.

Recently (perhaps December 2016), by chance, I saw that some people were thinking exactly as I am and started to study what information they share. I can not say that I am convinced, I only say that the Earth is probably not what we were told it is.

What is this supposed "conflicting information" between the school books and the globe you received?

Offline seekerfr

• Lost on a Flat Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 01:31:35 PM »
What is this supposed "conflicting information" between the school books and the globe you received?
At the moment I don't recall it fully but it was about the picture in the book, taken from space and showing a continent that should have not been able to be seen from the camera, due to the curvature, if it was located where it was told. The demonstration was so simple : look from the top of the globe and confirm that it was not possible to see that continent...

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
At the moment I don't recall it fully but it was about the picture in the book, taken from space and showing a continent that should have not been able to be seen from the camera, due to the curvature, if it was located where it was told. The demonstration was so simple : look from the top of the globe and confirm that it was not possible to see that continent...

So you needed to use a GLOBE to discredit a composite picture, and your conclusion was that the planet is not a globe?

There are also angles of perspective to be considered here.

It sounds more to me like you confused ignorance with information and just filled in some blanks with some false/manufactured information that made sense to you at the time.  This is not objective learning.

Offline seekerfr

• Lost on a Flat Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
So you needed to use a GLOBE to discredit a composite picture, and your conclusion was that the planet is not a globe?
When you are a young guy (it was in 1979) of course you know absolutely ALL about CGIs....  ::)
No, no, believe me, it was another time when schoolchildren did believe that the teacher would educate.

It sounds more to me like you confused ignorance with information and just filled in some blanks with some false/manufactured information that made sense to you at the time.  This is not objective learning.
Okkkkkaaayyyyy... I wondered how much time it could take before people who know all about everything would be smart enough to reply with a 20 cts assumption :)
If you have some time, you could help me understand if, claiming that Earth is a globe, is an objective learning... :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:57:09 PM by seekerfr »

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 12:39:57 AM »
When you are a young guy (it was in 1979) of course you know absolutely ALL about CGIs....  ::)
No, no, believe me, it was another time when schoolchildren did believe that the teacher would educate.

Okkkkkaaayyyyy... I wondered how much time it could take before people who know all about everything would be smart enough to reply with a 20 cts assumption :)
If you have some time, you could help me understand if, claiming that Earth is a globe, is an objective learning... :)

I am not even sure what you are saying here....  Are you trying to imply that you came up with some self-created answers as a young kid, and that is just how you left it?  And then you are going to come here, as an "adult" and have a discussion about it like the invalid conclusions you drew as a kid are based on valid information?  You do understand that you don't have to stop learning after you are done with school, right?

Nobody is saying that CLAIMING the earth is a globe is objective learning.  It is the act of objective learning that leads to the valid conclusion that the earth is a globe.  What objective learning have you done since you made these false conclusions as a child? 

To believe in flat earth theory, you have to completely close out any information that you see that might contradict the theory, because apparently it is all a scam, or illusion or CGI...etc.  And that isn't even including the information that requires you to actually put in some effort.  Forget math...why would a flat earther do math?  It is up to the round earther to do it for them so they can just claim it is all a hoax to fuel their delusions.