Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Distance from North Pole to Equator on FE
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 12:24:54 PM »
Now if only those calculations could produce consistent results from different latitudes.

Which of your RET studies shows such results?
A lab experiment that I performed in 9th grade earth science class.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 11:10:16 PM »
Now if only those calculations could produce consistent results from different latitudes.

Which of your RET studies shows such results?
A lab experiment that I performed in 9th grade earth science class.

The problem is that even "the Wiki" gives reasonably accurate angles for the sun elevation at any latitude.

These angles prove that the 5,000 km calculated sun height is obtained only for the equator and the 45° latitude distances.
Using other spacings puts the Flat Earth sun at anywhere from 6,408 km (for 1° latitude) to 0 km (for 90° latitude). Why does TFES chose 45° latitude?

But it is very significant that "the Wiki" values for the sun elevation give completely consistent results for a Globe earth and a distant sun (actually at infinity  ;) no "the Wiki" is not perfect  ;) )

In other words "the Wiki" of TFES proves that the earth is a Globe earth with a distant sun.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 06:19:06 AM »
Can i just throw my science hat into the ring here? There's an easier way to show the fe model doesn't work... The distance from Sydney to Perth Australia. All known distances with crazy fe answers.
First, circumference of the flat earth at Sydney and Perth (same latitude). Both lie 30°S, ie an extra third of the way out. Distance north pole to 30°S is 14100mi*1.333=118000mi. Now Perth is 2.5 hours behind Sydney (you can tell this by sunrise and sunset times). One lap around the world is 24 hours, so Sydney and Perth are 2,5 / 24 (0.104) the circumference of the world apart. On a flat earth the distance would be 118000*0.104=12272miles. Which is obviously complete bollocks because the distance began Sydney and Perth is 2450 miles.
All indisputable, irrefutable facts. The time difference is a fact. The actual distance is a fact. The flat earth does not work!

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
These things make Erathostenes' estimates and the FE map look a bit out of kilter with reality don't you think?

Of course these discrepancies remain no matter what value you take for the distance from pole to equator.  If you make the southern part of the world come out with a reasonable area - you end up with the northern part being too small.   The best you can do is some compromise that minimises errors in both areas - but then you have very obvious distortions everywhere.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »
I don't know what all the fuss is about. We are constantly told to look in "the Wiki" and there we find:
Quote from: the Wiki
Latitude
To locate your latitude on the flat earth, it's important to know the following fact: The degrees of the earth's latitude are based upon the angle of the sun in the sky at noon equinox.
That's why 0° N/S sits on the equator where the sun is directly overhead, and why 90° N/S sits at the poles where the sun is at a right angle to the observer. At 45 North or South from the equator, the sun will sit at an angle 45° in the sky. The angle of the sun past zenith is our latitude.
Knowing that as you recede North or South from the equator at equinox, the sun will descend at a pace of one degree per 69.5 miles, we can even derive our distance from the equator based upon the position of the sun in the sky.

This would make the North Pole to Equator on FE 90 x 69.5 miles = 6,255 miles.

Napolean, however, got in on the act and defined the metre as (Distance from North Pole to Equator)/10,000,000.,
making the North Pole to Equator distance 10,000 km, or 6,214 miles.

So "the Wiki" is not far off, but it would be better if it had one degree per 69.0 miles instead of "one degree per 69.5 miles.

This is also closer the figure for the diameter given in "the Wiki".
The Ice Wall
The figure of 24,900 miles is the diameter of the known world;

The figures should align. I believe that some of those pages are talking about Statute Miles, which are different than regular miles. I will review the Wiki when I have time to make sure everything makes sense.

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
I don't know what all the fuss is about. We are constantly told to look in "the Wiki" and there we find:
Latitude
To locate your latitude on the flat earth, it's important to know the following fact: The degrees of the earth's latitude are based upon the angle of the sun in the sky at noon equinox.
That's why 0° N/S sits on the equator where the sun is directly overhead, and why 90° N/S sits at the poles where the sun is at a right angle to the observer. At 45 North or South from the equator, the sun will sit at an angle 45° in the sky. The angle of the sun past zenith is our latitude.
Knowing that as you recede North or South from the equator at equinox, the sun will descend at a pace of one degree per 69.5 miles, we can even derive our distance from the equator based upon the position of the sun in the sky.

Napolean, however, got in on the act and defined the metre as (Distance from North Pole to Equator)/10,000,000.,

So "the Wiki" is not far off, but it would be better if it had one degree per 69.0 miles instead of "one degree per 69.5 miles.

The Ice Wall

The figures should align. I believe that some of those pages are talking about Statute Miles, which are different than regular miles. I will review the Wiki when I have time to make sure everything makes sense.
Use kilometers like the rest of the world.

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »
Latitude

The Ice Wall

Sorry, are we just going to glaze over the fact that Australia needs to be almost 5 times larger on the flat earth than it is in reality?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
Latitude

The Ice Wall

Statute miles are regular miles.  It's nautical miles that are different.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.