Ghost of V

looking for a new wireless router
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:55:08 AM »
I'm looking to replace my old wireless router with something a bit more high-tech. I'm looking for high speeds and good range, and I'm not really experienced with finding a good router for a good price. My internet speed is supposedly 50-70mbps so I'll need something that can take full advantage of that. I'm willing to spend up to $100 and I've already looked around a bit but everything seems a bit more expensive than I had hoped.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a new wireless router
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:08:55 AM »
I've got a linksys EA3500

It's got gigabit ports, guest login, and the signal seems good.  I can reach it from about 50 feet outside my front door, though two walls(one is brick) and a floor.

I've got it mounted to my wall with double sided tape.  I love it.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:46 AM »
That seems really reliable. Pretty good speed too. You say the signal goes up to 50feet? Have you had experience with many people streaming things at the same time? Any hiccups or connection issues?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:40:21 AM »
That seems really reliable. Pretty good speed too. You say the signal goes up to 50feet? Have you had experience with many people streaming things at the same time? Any hiccups or connection issues?
I did not say "up to 50ft." I said "50ft past my front door", which is probably a good 30-40 ft from where it's at: On the second floor.

It's got damn good signal.
Also, I can play an MMO, stream netflix on my phone, AND my wife can stream Hulu without any problems what so ever. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 03:25:45 AM »
I did not say "up to 50ft." I said "50ft past my front door", which is probably a good 30-40 ft from where it's at: On the second floor.

It's got damn good signal.
Also, I can play an MMO, stream netflix on my phone, AND my wife can stream Hulu without any problems what so ever.

I'm pretty much sold at this point. I'll be buying it within the next day or two. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »
Make sure you get one that is NSA certified, or when it ships it will be delayed a few days while the NSA manually certifies it en route.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Make sure you get one that is NSA certified, or when it ships it will be delayed a few days while the NSA manually certifies it en route.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »
Anything by Belkin
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Ghost of V

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:47:34 AM »
Lord Dave, I forgot to ask... What is your normal internet speed wired in compared to the wireless signal?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »
Lord Dave, I forgot to ask... What is your normal internet speed wired in compared to the wireless signal?
Wired is somewhere between 15-20 down and about 1 up.

Just did wireless on my phone: 12 down, 1.3 up.

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
That is infinetly better than what I am getting with my current WiFi router. Right now I have about 50mbps wired in and .70mbps on my phone through wireless. That's download speed.

It is an older $20 WiFi router, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:37:17 PM by Vauxhall »

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 01:35:59 AM »
I am using the EA3500 right now. Just bought it today. I am getting 25-35mbps. I am immensely pleased.