Thork

Re: Ask a Flat Earth Theorist Anything
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
How many times did you adequately explain how Ptolemy's round earth geocentric model could possibly work on a flat earth?
Many, Markjo. Many, many, many times. In fact, your perpetual squealing can be seen in most of those threads.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
How many times did you adequately explain how Ptolemy's round earth geocentric model could possibly work on a flat earth?
Many, Markjo. Many, many, many times. In fact, your perpetual squealing can be seen in most of those threads.
You're exaggerating, Thork.  According to the other site's search, you mention Ptolemy 7 times.  I'm looking through them right now and so far haven't seen any explanation of how a round earth geocentric model works on a FE, which technically isn't geocentric.  Remember that in a geocentric model, the heavens revolve around the earth while in FET, the heavens orbit above the earth.  This is not a trivial distinction.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2014, 03:40:09 PM »
So why haven't you taken the time to document how Ptolemy's round earth geocentric model could possibly work within FET in the FE Wiki? You aren't just trolling, are you?
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Ghost of V

« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
This is not a trivial distinction.

Exactly. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

I would love to read your explanation on how Ptolemy's RE model works with FE theory, because it sounds ludicrous.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »
Yes, and it was pointed out that the Ptolomeic model requires that the earth and solar system be on the same plane.  In FET, the solar system is 3000 miles or so above the flat earth.  A 3000 mile height difference can hardly be considered the same plane, can it?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
Yes, and it was pointed out that the Ptolomeic model requires that the earth and solar system be on the same plane.  In FET, the solar system is 3000 miles or so above the flat earth.  A 3000 mile height difference can hardly be considered the same plane, can it?
Add to that: Ptolomy's model had Jupiter orbiting the Earth, not--as Thork now claims--the Sun. How much can one troll get wrong, and just in one thread?
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2014, 04:23:09 AM »
Hello guys, I'll ask you a few questions about your theory.

1. Why do you claim that the Earth is flat? What would be the point for the governments and entities such as NASA to hide something like that?

2. If the Earth is flat, why are we able to go from USA to Japan in a perfect straight line without crossing Europe or any kind of land?

3. Why there's daylight in Spain while at the same hour in Japan is night-time?

4. What's in the other side of the flat Earth?

5. Would we just fall into the space if we reached the border of the Earth?

6. Are all the other planets and stars (Moon and Sun included) flat?; If the answer is YES, explain why we can see with regular telescopes that all the planets are flat.

7. How can you explain that if we take an airplane that flies on a very high height we are able to see the curvature of the Earth?

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:26:21 AM by Caesar Augustus »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2014, 04:41:34 AM »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2014, 04:59:23 AM »
Caesar, you probably need to make your own thread about each question because there is a plethora of information pertaining to each topic.

Offline Roadie

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »
I recently ran across a flat earther. To that end, I was curious if he is representative of your beliefs or just making up shtuff and using FE as an excuse.  To that end, and out of curiosity, I have been looking around and trying to get a handle on the FE beliefs, theories, proofs, etc. I wasn't sure whether to refer him to a physicist or a psychiatrist. Anyway, to the questions.

Do any of you own a telescope?

If so, why is it that the sun, planets, moon, moons of other planets, etc, are all spherical but for some reason the earth is flat?

If the earth is flat and you go up in a balloon (to prevent airplane window distortions and the like) with a pair of binoculars, why you are not able to see, lets say, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Likewise from such a height of 2700 feet, shouldn't you be able to see the terminator between light and dark?

I see there is some question as to if satellites exist. I wonder if you all are aware that some satellites can be seen orbiting the earth. Some have been orbiting for over 50 years. Sunlight reflections can be seen with the naked eye and more details with a telescope.
http://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=694

Once again, given that some of the satellites are above the sun and the sun is a spotlight, how are they reflecting light?

How are these explained?

Thanks.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 04, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »
I recently ran across a flat earther. To that end, I was curious if he is representative of your beliefs or just making up shtuff and using FE as an excuse.  To that end, and out of curiosity, I have been looking around and trying to get a handle on the FE beliefs, theories, proofs, etc. I wasn't sure whether to refer him to a physicist or a psychiatrist. Anyway, to the questions.

Do any of you own a telescope?

If so, why is it that the sun, planets, moon, moons of other planets, etc, are all spherical but for some reason the earth is flat?

If the earth is flat and you go up in a balloon (to prevent airplane window distortions and the like) with a pair of binoculars, why you are not able to see, lets say, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Likewise from such a height of 2700 feet, shouldn't you be able to see the terminator between light and dark?

I see there is some question as to if satellites exist. I wonder if you all are aware that some satellites can be seen orbiting the earth. Some have been orbiting for over 50 years. Sunlight reflections can be seen with the naked eye and more details with a telescope.
http://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=694

Once again, given that some of the satellites are above the sun and the sun is a spotlight, how are they reflecting light?

How are these explained?

Thanks.

This would probably be better off as its own thread. People are less likely to respond to a long, multi-faceted post in an old thread than they are to respond to a new thread. Not that it really matters. Anyway.

I don't own a telescope myself, but I do have access to an observatory. Which is awesome. Space is amazing.

The rest of your questions are answered in the FAQ, which is linked in my signature. If you still have questions after reading that I'd be happy to answer them.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
Hello, I am new to the site and have a question.  If the earth is flat how do you explain airplanes.  The fly "around" the world.  Is this just a conspiracy to you?

Ghost of V

« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »
Hello, I am new to the site and have a question.  If the earth is flat how do you explain airplanes.  The fly "around" the world.  Is this just a conspiracy to you?

Is there something preventing airplanes from flying? I don't understand your question.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »

The path of circumnavigation is a circle.  This is true on a spherical earth, or a flat one.  A brief, cursory search of the site would have answered this question, but welcome nonetheless.

« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
yes, but this would mean the plane would have to fly in a circle.  The world is round and they fly in straight lines

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
On a round Earth, do planes not fly in a circle when they go east or west? 

Ghost of V

« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2014, 08:58:12 PM »
yes, but this would mean the plane would have to fly in a circle.  The world is round and they fly in straight lines

It is not possible to travel in a perfectly straight line without a navigational aid. No pilot is ever flying in a straight line.

« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »
way to dodge the question with symatics.  You know what i mean.  Pilots would have to fly in a circle and would definatly know if the earth was flat or not.  What happends when they reach the edge of the "flat earth"

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 21, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »
Are you saying that pilots, when flying east or west, do not fly in a circle? 

Ghost of V

« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »

way to dodge the question with symatics.  You know what i mean.  Pilots would have to fly in a circle and would definatly know if the earth was flat or not.  What happends when they reach the edge of the "flat earth"

East and West are always at right angles to North. Traveling east will take you in a circle around the north pole. This is true on a flat Earth and a round one. Traveling to the edge would require constant adjustments in direction, and this is almost never required with normal commercial flights. There are few (if any) flights going to the north pole.