Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Fasting intervals are good for you
« on: January 17, 2016, 02:47:16 AM »
This is some very interesting research into the effects of fasting on the body. Apparently fasting causes your white blood cell count to drop and triggers the immune system to begin regenerating them.

“And the good news is that the body got rid of the parts of the system that might be damaged or old, the inefficient parts, during the fasting. Now, if you start with a system heavily damaged by chemotherapy or aging, fasting cycles can generate, literally, a new immune system.”

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fasting intervals are good for you
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 03:16:01 AM »
This is some very interesting research into the effects of fasting on the body. Apparently fasting causes your white blood cell count to drop and triggers the immune system to begin regenerating them.

“And the good news is that the body got rid of the parts of the system that might be damaged or old, the inefficient parts, during the fasting. Now, if you start with a system heavily damaged by chemotherapy or aging, fasting cycles can generate, literally, a new immune system.”

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

I've been doing this for years. Mostly to atone for for binging, but also as an exercise in willpower. It is interesting to see how long you can withhold yourself from eating. I typically do about 36 hours. The longest I have gone is 96 hours. I only recently found out that intermittent fasting can rebuild the immune system. I typically fast once or twice a month. It also gives you perspective on hunger. There is a difference between wanting to eat and actually being hungry.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »
I've heard that even limiting yourself to about 500 calories for 2 or 3 non-consecutive days a week can have significant health benefits.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »
I've heard that even limiting yourself to about 500 calories for 2 or 3 non-consecutive days a week can have significant health benefits.

But fat activists claim to do this every day but not lose a single pound, so it can't be healthy. Their body goes into starvation mode and they literally store all energy consumed as fat.

Of course I am just sarcastically saying things they actually say. But yes, restrictions and fasting seem to basically keep you alive forever.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:27:16 PM »
This sounds painful. Should I do it?
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:56:07 PM »

My advice would be to try it at least. If you don't like it, then stop.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:04:39 PM »

Any suggestions on what I should and should not drink? And for how long?
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:16:37 PM »

Any suggestions on what I should and should not drink? And for how long?

If I am just doing 24-36 hours, I only drink water. I drink a lot of water, though. 4-5 liters a day minimum regardless of if I am fasting or not. If you are going to try going for any longer, I would recommend having some chicken broth to replace lost electrolytes (sodium in this case). For your first go at it, I wouldn't recommend longer than 36 hours just based on personal experience. If you step up to longer intervals, you will want to make sure to get enough potassium and magnesium as well (in addition to other micros). But, let's not jump too far ahead. Baby steps.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »
Super.
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:37 PM »
Super.

Let me know if you decide to try it. I will join in. We can have a day of flat earth fasting.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 09:37:04 PM »
I encourage exercise during fasting, there's no reason to stop whatever you're doing just because you're not eating, and strenuous exertion can suppress hunger.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.