Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #760 on: March 25, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »
So I decided to play again today, but this time on my friend's PS4 Pro and 4K TV, and with that I take back anything negative related to visuals. It is fucking beautiful like that. Good framerate, I didn't notice any aliasing at all, everything is super detailed and gorgeous.

Also the game has a massive rise in quality correlating with how well you and Trico learn to communicate with each other. We're an amazing team now and it's fluid af and everything feels much less clunky. Part of the latter is surely to do with the fact that Team Ico's games just have bizarre controls in general, so they take getting used to. For example, there's a button to jump, and there's a separate button to jump forward. Weird.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 29, 2017, 02:56:21 AM »
Got Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 & II.5 ReMix and am currently playing through the remastered Kingdom Hearts I.

None of has aged well. At all. The gameplay got the worst of it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 29, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
I tried playing Kingdom Hearts last year on my PS2. And yeah. That one will just have to live fondly in my memory.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 03, 2017, 10:43:19 PM »
Beat The Last Guardian last night. I creyed. Also almost had a heart attack, I wasn't expecting it to get so intense. The game really only gets better as you go on, though it also gets more stressful.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 30, 2017, 01:29:29 AM »
What Remains of Edith Finch is probably the best "walking simulator" (this term is a bit of a disservice in this case, since there are some actual fun game mechanics) I've ever played.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 21, 2017, 03:06:08 PM »
Well after a lot of unfortunate events and waiting, I finally beat the Witcher 3.
I got the good ending. Went with Yennefer (duh). Finished in full mastercrafted Wolven gear.

Now to play the expansions.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 29, 2017, 04:39:46 AM »
I read a bunch of this thread looking for suggestions but its mostly about man ass. Sphere 3D Rg suggesstions on what to play on my computer?
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 29, 2017, 05:40:16 AM »
The Surge is my first experience with a Dark Souls clone (unless you count Bloodborne, but that at least came from the same dev), a genre that I hadn't realized until recently even existed. I bought it because I liked the idea of a sci-fi Souls-esque game, but all it's really done is show me that it was never the basic formula or the difficulty that I loved about the Souls series or Bloodborne. It's things like the intricate level design, the beautiful visuals, the broad variety of enemies in terms of both their designs and movesets, the thrilling boss battles, and even the intriguing, minimalist stories and lore. If you don't have a dev as creative and talented as From working on the game, what are you left with?

Spoiler warning, you're left with The Surge. It's a shallow, superficial ripoff of the Souls formula with none of the depth or imagination that made From's games such rich experiences. The levels (of which there aren't many) are all dull, ugly, and gray in very similar ways, and rely on nonsensically convoluted maze-like designs to disorient the player and pad out the game. 90% of the enemies you fight are just generic mechs like the player character, only varying in their armor and weapons. The difficulty is overwhelmingly of the artificial variety, and the only way the dev could seem to think to provide more challenging experiences later in the game is just to jack up the existing enemies' attack and defense. The story is obvious right from the start - seriously, in the very first scene, the first thought that'll pop into your head is correct. It's a standard robots-go-bad plot, with zero surprises. Add to that mediocre voice acting and yet another generic dark-haired white guy hero*, and blah. I'm probably being a bit too harsh on the game. It's not the worst thing ever. It's really just mediocre, maybe even passable when I try not to compare it to From's games. It just feels like such a wasted opportunity.

*I am so fucking sick of the generic dark-haired white guy being the standard hero of video games nowadays. Why? Why the fuck do devs keep going back to this same shallow archetype again and again and again and again and again and fucking again? Is it the result of market research or something? And no, I'm not saying it has to be a black trans woman in the name of social justice or whatever, but surely deviating from this standard just a little wouldn't get gamers REEEEEEEEEing, would it? Like, nobody complained that Geralt wasn't dark-haired. Same with BJ Blazkowicz, a character I'm convinced is essentially a parody of the kind of man every male gamer wishes they were. We aren't all snarky, somewhat rebellious, dark-haired white guys in our twenties or thirties. That archetype doesn't fucking "represent" us.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 29, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
I am so sick of the generic dark-haired white guy being the standard hero of video games nowadays.

Remember Michael LeRoi from Shadowman, now that was a cool game.

On a different note, how do I get past Rom the Vacuous Spider, my wife and I have almost given up.
Congrats to Rooster on getting through W3, I'm watching a mate of mine work through that one.
Most of my friends are in their forties now and it seems the older you get, the longer these games take to play.

If we ever kill Rom then its on to Dark Souls Three.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 29, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »
Well someone is triggered by dark haired men.

Congrats to Rooster on getting through W3, I'm watching a mate of mine work through that one.
Most of my friends are in their forties now and it seems the older you get, the longer these games take to play.

Thanks!
And I'll agree with that. I just don't have the patience to sit and play a game for more than a few hours on the weekends. I sit at a computer all day for work and so never feel like sitting at my home computer during the week.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 02, 2017, 03:05:41 AM »
Just started Tales of Berseria. It started out dreadfully dull, but it had a John Wick moment where the catalyst of anger sparked and now I just really, really want this fucker dead so I'm gonna keep playing.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 02, 2017, 05:16:34 AM »

Not to minimize your own experience, but it's worth pointing out that TW3 is legitimately an enormous game, with far more content packed into it than virtually all of its contemporaries. They could probably have split the whole thing in half to sell as two separate games, and they both would have earned overwhelming praise from both critics and gamers.

I'm triggered by the endless deluge of them. It's so dull and lazy.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 02, 2017, 05:33:24 AM »
It is.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 02, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »
Maybe it's because I tend to play more games where you can pick the character then cause I don't notice that trend. Or at least don't notice it to a point where it annoys me.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 02, 2017, 04:48:34 PM »

I'm triggered by the endless deluge of them. It's so dull and lazy.

sadman's fave protag

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 02, 2017, 10:54:19 PM »
Maybe it's because I tend to play more games where you can pick the character then cause I don't notice that trend. Or at least don't notice it to a point where it annoys me.

That's certainly possible. I tend to not play tons of stuff, but I follow gaming news religiously so I notice the flood. It's not painful, it's just incredibly boring, annoying, and uninspired.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 03, 2017, 04:45:06 AM »
It's most common in shooters, action/adventure, and sci-fi games, and more the product of Western devs than anyone else. It feels like they're catering to a very juvenile sensibility of "this is what a real man looks and sounds like!" That's nothing new for video games, of course, but the sheer arbitrariness of this one - especially the ubiquitous dark hair - really bugs me.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 03, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
It's most common in shooters, action/adventure, and sci-fi games, and more the product of Western devs than anyone else. It feels like they're catering to a very juvenile sensibility of "this is what a real man looks and sounds like!" That's nothing new for video games, of course, but the sheer arbitrariness of this one - especially the ubiquitous dark hair - really bugs me.

Dark hair is the more dominant and common trait though. I doubt it has anything to do with "this is what a real man looks like" and more to do with - huh, most of our audience has dark hair so might as well.

« Reply #778 on: July 05, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
PlayersUnknown Battleground. Good shit, hit me up if anyone wants to do some murdering together.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 06, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
PlayersUnknown Battleground. Good shit, hit me up if anyone wants to do some murdering together.

I think I'll buy this soon.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.