Concerning your logo
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:21:27 PM »
I'm not familiar with this specific case of the license for Use and Share-a-like. Does use of it in and of itself make the work sharable?

I noticed there's a copy in Eric Dubay's Flat Earth Conspiracy; unless you guys gave him some other license for its use.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning your logo
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »
It's licensed under CC BY-SA, so Eric Dubay (or anyone else) is free to use the logo without permission as long as we're attributed as the owners of the logo. Share-alike simply means that if you use the logo in your own work, it must use the same license.

You can familiarise yourself with the full terms here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 11:51:10 PM »
I'm a bit familiar with CC by SA which is why I bring this up.In particular he has done none of the following:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made.

I'm also fairly sure its also not printed under CC by SA as its only listed as "All Rights Reserved" in the books front pages. Use of the image can be found in the section concerning the Flat Earth Bible.

I'm asking more as an effort to let you guys know. That, and if it Dubay's book was indeed share-alike we'd love to include it in our library. This looks to me like just unlicensed use of the image though.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:13:55 AM »
Alright, thanks for letting us know. I've never looked at his book and it seems there isn't a free version available, so for all I know his use of the logo falls under fair use. Could you elaborate more on what context the logo is brought up in? Is it as part of introducing different societies or something?

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:45:06 AM »
Sure. It is lying between a split in sections that concern "Giants are Real" and "The Flat Earth Bible." It certainly seems to lie with the Flat Earth Bible which starts off as him talking about the bible and his upbringing of skepticism towards it and moves towards Schadewald. Nothing really having anything to do with you.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 01:59:10 AM »
I'm sure you guys don't care and its not worth pursuing or it could be fair use. As distasteful as some of his views are, he does have some good material in his books. Just thought you should know. I won't be back here for a bit likely as I'm pretty busy this week. Take care.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »
Eric supports us shills?  How fun.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.