Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
Re: Shaquille O'Neil believes that the earth is flat
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 05:00:05 AM »
There are literally thousands of people with more or less the same credentials as the one Shaq has holds.  Why don't we hear them in their multitudes proclaiming the flat earth?  Because they don't believe in the flat earth!  Why does Shaq's degree give his flat earth notion credibility, but the very same degree confers no credibility to the thousands of round earth believers?
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:08 AM »
There are literally thousands of people with more or less the same credentials as the one Shaq has holds.  Why don't we hear them in their multitudes proclaiming the flat earth?  Because they don't believe in the flat earth!  Why does Shaq's degree give his flat earth notion credibility, but the very same degree confers no credibility to the thousands of round earth believers?

You could also say that there were thousands of phsyscists in Einstein's day but none of them came up with E=MC^2. Why not? They just didn't think about it.

When the other physcists saw his equation they all reacted to it favorably.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:19:47 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 05:37:40 AM »
Coming soon! A wave of Dr. O'Neil's colleagues rejecting their former positions regarding the shape of the earth and turning to FEism.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
Dr Dre dispute here, can confirm the earth is flat.

Disagreements in Earth shape aside, he was a great basketballer.

Hey Boots.

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »

Sounds like someones upset.  ;D ;D ;D

totallackey

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »
If you surveyed a group of people who have the same credentials as Shaq and asked them whether they believed the earth was flat or globular what do you think the results would be? If you accept Shaq's opinion based on his qualifications, on what basis do you reject the opposing opinion of those who have the same qualifications.

Based on amount of world travel for one.

Shaq has observed far more of the plane than most anyone.

Certainly, anyone posting here.

totallackey

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 11:17:15 AM »
so just to be clear, some guy you've never met goes on a podcast and talks about how the education system trains people to merely accept things as true merely because a phd said it is so, and you believe him because he has a phd and says it is so.

i bet it's just a coincidence that everything he said was stuff you already believe.  lol suddenly having a phd is the bright-line for credibility.  i mean, as you said yourself, none of us have phds in education, so we aren't credible.

He has the doctorate in that field, which makes him supremely more qualified to hold that position than for you to laugh at him about it.

Apparently not everyone thinks that an Ed. D. isn't as big a deal as you might think.
Barbara K. Townsend, Professor of Higher Education and Associate Dean for Research and Development at the University of Missouri at Columbia, suggests the doctorate of education is most frequently sought for vanity purposes and to improve one's status, citing a 2000 survey of California school superintendents in which they identify the greatest value of the Ed. D. as being its "symbolic value (credibility and respects a basis for leadership)," further adding that there is scant research or evidence to suggest that possession of a doctorate in education improves one's ability to be an effective administrator.

Your source closes with the word - "ADMINISTRATOR."

What point were you trying to make?

totallackey

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »

Really, you have evidence there are currently thousands of people with the same credentials?

Sounds more like hyperbole to me.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
If you surveyed a group of people who have the same credentials as Shaq and asked them whether they believed the earth was flat or globular what do you think the results would be? If you accept Shaq's opinion based on his qualifications, on what basis do you reject the opposing opinion of those who have the same qualifications.

Based on amount of world travel for one.

Shaq has observed far more of the plane than most anyone.

Certainly, anyone posting here.

Are you Sarah Palin irl?
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
There are many professional doctorates that do not require dissertations (MD, DO, DC, JD, DDS, etc.). I don't know what criticism you have with Shaq not doing a dissertation. As his spokesman said, the capstone is the standard practice at many ivy leagues.

Is an MD a less significant degree because there was no dissertation? No. There are different kinds of doctorates, and they all require a lot of hard work. The people criticizing Shaq for not doing a dissertation are just very ignorant of how other fields work.

I said that Shaq is a credible source on matters of education because he studied that subject enough to get a doctorate. That's pretty indisputable.

i am not denying that shaq is a credible source of information on the topic of education, and i'm not criticizing his degree.

i'm criticizing you for championing as fact the words of a complete stranger merely because he has a phd.  it's confusing given that the position you are championing is "the education system is bad because it operates entirely on appeals to authority."

tbh i'm mostly just poking fun at you for suddenly asserting an appeal to authority when the speaker says something you already agreed with.  your worldview is in many ways fundamentally based on a resistance to appeals to authority (not meant as a criticism); you can't start asserting it now.

I never said that ALL appeals to authority are bad. Its more like blind appeals to an authority are bad. An appeal to a credible authority is good!

It is a perfectly legitimate argument to point to NASA pictures as proof that the earth is round. It is also perfectly legitimate for us to discredit that source of authority by pointing out the questionable and sketchy pictures NASA has produced.

In order to discredit Shaq as a source of authority you would need to show that he cheated in his classes or something, just like we regularly show that NASA is cheating in its efforts.
When considering the shape of the earth, wouldn't one think that an authority that deals with physical sciences would be more credible than someone who deals with educational sciences? 
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

totallackey

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
When considering the shape of the earth, wouldn't one think that an authority that deals with physical sciences would be more credible than someone who deals with educational sciences?

You tried to discredit Shaq's academic credentials and that failed.

I would wager Shaq has more credit hours in all science classes than you.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
Apparently not everyone thinks that an Ed. D. isn't as big a deal as you might think.
Barbara K. Townsend, Professor of Higher Education and Associate Dean for Research and Development at the University of Missouri at Columbia, suggests the doctorate of education is most frequently sought for vanity purposes and to improve one's status, citing a 2000 survey of California school superintendents in which they identify the greatest value of the Ed. D. as being its "symbolic value (credibility and respects a basis for leadership)," further adding that there is scant research or evidence to suggest that possession of a doctorate in education improves one's ability to be an effective administrator.

Why would the study of education make you a better administrator?
I don't know, but a degree in human resources sounds pretty administrative to me.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »

Yeah but they have the wrong sort of degrees, Shaq’ has a humanities one that lets him see through the veil, and all that flying, all power to him for not tiring of looking out of those grubby little portals, and watching a movie, especially at 7 foot, he must be hunched up, there again he probably has his own with a glass roof, even so it wouldn’t give him a perspective that could challenge the round earth as he wouldn’t be high enough, maybe that isn’t covered in humanities. Is this the same Shaq’ who believed that a flight from the East Coast to California might be shorter than a flight to the moon. He reasoned that the flights should be of comparable length because he can walk out the door and see the moon, but cannot see California?
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »

I don't know, but a degree in human resources sounds pretty administrative to me.

Are you saying that a Doctor of Education doesn't know anything about education?

He had to specialize in something, and chose HR. No one gets a Doctor of Education and specializes in Education, just like no one gets a Doctor of Medicine and specializes in Medicine. Next you will be telling us that a Doctor of Medicine with specialization in Immunization basically just got a certificate in immunization and doesn't know anything else about how the body works.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:09:48 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
Start listening at 9:30: http://podbay.fm/show/1000068299/e/1488182460?autostart=1
I'm late to the party, but: Thanks! I've posted an announcement (which will show up on our homepage, as per usual) and shared it on our social media.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:57:31 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 08:37:59 PM »
You could also say that there were thousands of phsyscists in Einstein's day but none of them came up with E=MC^2. Why not? They just didn't think about it.

When the other physcists saw his equation they all reacted to it favorably.

einstein didn't just "come up" with e=mc^2.  it emerged from a careful process of deduction that he then shared in full with the scientific community.  it survives because it passed empirical tests.

had einstein merely gone on a radio broadcast and announced that mass and energy are equivalent, then no one would've cared.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:01:45 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »

Are you saying that a Doctor of Education doesn't know anything about education?

He had to specialize in something, and chose HR. No one gets a Doctor of Education and specializes in Education, just like no one gets a Doctor of Medicine and specializes in Medicine. Next you will be telling us that a Doctor of Medicine with specialization in Immunization basically just got a certificate in immunization and doesn't know anything else about how the body works.
Most people who get an Ed. d. specialize in something related to education.  What does human resources have to do with education?  Most people who specialize in HR get an MBA or Ph. d. in HR, not an Ed. d. in HR.

Regardless, I still don't see how a doctorate in education or human resources makes one an authority on the shape of the earth.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:08:35 PM by markjo »

Rama Set

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
Who am I going to believe, a doctor of education; or you guys, who are not doctors of education?

You don't believe PhDs in physics about physics, but when someone who received a doctorate in a field not directly related to geodetics makes a pronouncement that agrees with you, and does so in a way that demonstrates no understanding of geometry, you believe it.  Sounds like the one to trust least in this whole affair is you... as usual...

Rama Set

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:06 PM »

You tried to discredit Shaq's academic credentials and that failed.

I would wager Shaq has more credit hours in all science classes than you.

I would wager all those scientists that say agree the Earth is round have more credit hours in science than Shaq.  YOU LOSE!!!!

P.S. This is my new favorite thread.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2017, 11:04:54 PM »
Most people who get an Ed. d. specialize in something related to education.  What does human resources have to do with education?  Most people who specialize in HR get an MBA or Ph. d. in HR, not an Ed. d. in HR.

HR has a lot to do with education. You do realize that HR needs to have expertise in educational assessment, certification, and continuing education, right? There are a number of sub disciplines which create, manage, and develop training programs as well.

Regardless, I still don't see how a doctorate in education or human resources makes one an authority on the shape of the earth.

A doctorate in education makes one an authority on education.