All planets are circular.
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
The human eye at night sees planets in our solar system as round, sphere like object, we can all agree on. How is this planet we live on any different and why? I can only believe if logic backs up the earth is flat. It would be a pleasure to know the gasses providing our atmosphere on earth make it flat will be so cool.
I only want to learn. I am not dismissing the point of flat earth.

Thank you, RG

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
Re: All planets are circular.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:13 AM »
The human eye at night sees planets in our solar system as round, sphere like object, we can all agree on. How is this planet we live on any different and why? I can only believe if logic backs up the earth is flat. It would be a pleasure to know the gasses providing our atmosphere on earth make it flat will be so cool.
I only want to learn. I am not dismissing the point of flat earth.

Thank you, RG

They won't give you an answer to this (or any kind of straight one) "because they have never observed it for themselves' and would rather come up with alternate conclusions than to accept the evidence that is supposedly all a scam.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:26:06 AM »
They won't give you an answer to this (or any kind of straight one)

I would suggest you read the wiki and FAQ. It actually isn't that hard.

However, seeing as this is FE Q&A, I will ask to refrain from making low-content posts that don't contribute anything. Consider this a warning. Please read the rules if you plan to continue posting. Thanks!

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
The human eye at night sees planets in our solar system as round, sphere like object, we can all agree on. How is this planet we live on any different and why?

The earth is not a planet.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 02:46:13 PM »
The human eye at night sees planets in our solar system as round, sphere like object, we can all agree on. How is this planet we live on any different and why?

Are you willing to back that up with any proof?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:16:07 AM »

Yes. See: Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Birley Rowbotham

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »

I would hardly call that proof.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:56:18 AM »
Okay. We can't help you if you don't want to learn.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 03:01:39 PM »
Okay. We can't help you if you don't want to learn.

You don't want to help anyone anyway.   Direct and logical questions are constantly ignored.  Tom saying the proof is in "Earth Not a Globe" is like saying the proof of creation is in Genisis. 

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 11:37:02 PM »
They won't give you an answer to this (or any kind of straight one)

I would suggest you read the wiki and FAQ. It actually isn't that hard.

However, seeing as this is FE Q&A, I will ask to refrain from making low-content posts that don't contribute anything. Consider this a warning. Please read the rules if you plan to continue posting. Thanks!

Such as this low-content post that didn't contribute anything?  That is all you do here.

He asked a question and I answered it.  I was right as you still have yet to give a straight answer that has some kind of supporting evidence.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 05:11:36 PM »
There is evidence in Earth Not a Globe. Read it.

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »

That is not evidence.  That is pseudoscience or just plain false.

It is interesting how you can dismiss countless publications that contain real information, but continue to refer people to your "bible" as though it was chiseled in stone by God himself.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »

That is not evidence.  That is pseudoscience or just plain false.

Show your work

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »

Such as this low-content post that didn't contribute anything?  That is all you do here.

What I do here mostly these days is moderate so I can keep low-effort posts like yours from derailing threads. If you have a complaint about moderation, then please post a thread in the appropriate forum (hint, it isn't this one - if you need help, just ask). Otherwise, please do not argue moderation in the same thread where you were warned for a rules violation.

I really am trying to be patient with you. However, you have two warnings now already and are working on a 3-day ban if you can't follow the simple rules we have for the upper fora.

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »

What I do here mostly these days is moderate so I can keep low-effort posts like yours from derailing threads. If you have a complaint about moderation, then please post a thread in the appropriate forum (hint, it isn't this one - if you need help, just ask). Otherwise, please do not argue moderation in the same thread where you were warned for a rules violation.

I really am trying to be patient with you. However, you have two warnings now already and are working on a 3-day ban if you can't follow the simple rules we have for the upper fora.

No, what you are doing is escalating a situation that needed no further comment from you.  You can flex that big forum moderator muscle all you want, but you are the perfect example of the very things you are complaining about.

My comments were completely on topic and relevant.  Yours, however, are not.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 02:37:31 PM »

No, what you are doing is escalating a situation that needed no further comment from you.  You can flex that big forum moderator muscle all you want, but you are the perfect example of the very things you are complaining about.

My comments were completely on topic and relevant.  Yours, however, are not.

I am sorry that following simple rules is so difficult for you. We really don't ask all that much and are pretty lenient in applying the rules as to encourage open discussion. However, you are far too self-absorbed to care about details like that. So please, have a few days off to review the rules, and maybe try again if you choose to come back. You will find that, in general, you will receive the same amount of respect and courtesy that you give others. I know that may be a hard concept for someone as narcissistic as yourself. So, you can either follow the rules, or convince yourself that you are still right.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 02:36:51 AM »

Here's a quote from Mr. Rowbotham, "There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet — notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's convexity. It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe."

Cairo, Egypt, at the mouth of the Nile has an elevation 75 ft above sea level. Khartoum, Sudan, also directly on the Nile is 1000 miles south has an elevation 1247 ft. About halfway between them is the Nile city of Aswan, Egypt, elevation 646 ft. The modern theodolite (a surveying tool) was invented in 1787, 29 years before Rowbotham's birth. He has no excuse for the inaccuracy of his statement. This gross error in his understanding of such simple geography absolutely disqualifies him from any serious participation in a discussion of the shape of the planet.

Sources: Google and Wikipedia.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 03:41:47 AM »

Here's a quote from Mr. Rowbotham, "There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet — notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's convexity. It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe."

Cairo, Egypt, at the mouth of the Nile has an elevation 75 ft above sea level. Khartoum, Sudan, also directly on the Nile is 1000 miles south has an elevation 1247 ft. About halfway between them is the Nile city of Aswan, Egypt, elevation 646 ft. The modern theodolite (a surveying tool) was invented in 1787, 29 years before Rowbotham's birth. He has no excuse for the inaccuracy of his statement. This gross error in his understanding of such simple geography absolutely disqualifies him from any serious participation in a discussion of the shape of the planet.

Show me where he said that.

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 04:38:11 AM »

Show me where he said that.
He is incorrect in who the quote is from, but it WAS from someone influence by Rowbatham's work. It's from "A Hundred Proofs the Earth is Not a Globe" which you helpfully have on your wiki. The noted statement is point number 4 as seen on this page. https://wiki.tfes.org/A_hundred_proofs_the_Earth_is_not_a_globe Published in 1885, 100 years past the invention of the theodolite. William born in 1830, ~40 years after it's invention.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »

What chapter contains the evidence for Earth not being a planet like nearly every other appropriately size object orbiting a star? Working through slowly, as I'm also doing my best to fact check various things as best I can.