For a long time I have seen people trying to convince Flat-Earthers that the Earth is a globe using complicated and advanced methods, often requiring science, math or excessive thinking to understand. While they are all obviously correct, I feel like the objection to their validity mostly comes from the lack of ability to understand them. Therefore I came here to present a simple proof you can test for yourself without the need of excessive knowledge in math or science or any special equipment.

To my knowledge there are two popular beliefs regarding the course of the sun amongst the Flat Earth Society:

The first belief - The sun revolves above the Earth.

If that were to be the case, we could see the sun at night, which we cannot do.
You could claim that we cannot see the sun at night because it's simply too far away at the other side of the plane, but that also does not make sense.
At night, we can see the stars all around us, even those who should ,presumably, be hidden behind the sun.
Plus, we can see the sun setting below the horizon every evening, which of course, would have been impossible for us to witness if the sun revolved above the Earth.

The second belief - The sun revolves around the Earth.

This belief cannot be possible as well, since if the sun was revolving around a flat Earth its light would have been cast over the entire disc each time it was above the earth, and stop being cast each time the sun is below the Earth, making day and night uniform in all location on Earth. All we need to do to disprove this is to look at the state of the sky outside of our window and call a friend at the other side of the earth to ask if they see the same. Their answer would of course be the opposite of ours.

If some things are still unclear and you have doubts or questions, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to explain :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:27:52 AM by UndoubtedlyAGlobe »

Re: A Simple Proof For the Earth Being A Globe You Can Test For Yourself
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »
For a long time I have seen people trying to convince Flat-Earthers that the Earth is a globe using complicated and advanced methods, often requiring science, math or excessive thinking to understand. While they are all obviously correct, I feel like the objection to their validity mostly comes from the lack of ability to understand them. Therefore I came here to present a simple proof you can test for yourself without the need of excessive knowledge in math or science or any special equipment.

To my knowledge there are two popular beliefs regarding the course of the sun amongst the Flat Earth Society:

The first belief - The sun revolves above the Earth.

If that were to be the case, we could see the sun at night, which we cannot do.
You could claim that we cannot see the sun at night because it's simply too far away at the other side of the plane, but that also does not make sense.
At night, we can see the stars all around us, even those who should ,presumably, be hidden behind the sun.
Plus, we can see the sun setting below the horizon every evening, which of course, would have been impossible for us to witness if the sun revolved above the Earth.

The second belief - The sun revolves around the Earth.

This belief cannot be possible as well, since if the sun was revolving around a flat Earth its light would have been cast over the entire disc each time it was above the earth, and stop being cast each time the sun is below the Earth, making day and night uniform in all location on Earth. All we need to do to disprove this is to look at the state of the sky outside of our window and call a friend at the other side of the earth to ask if they see the same. Their answer would of course be the opposite of ours.

If some things are still unclear and you have doubts or questions, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to explain :)

wow, I really appreciate all the work you have done to this, I already am convinced that earth is a globe but this made things very simple.