Mitchell45

Airspeed
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:43:05 PM »
I am flat earther, though there is one thing I can't understand. Why is airspeed different than landspeed? As a pilot I can't understand this.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Airspeed
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 02:20:00 AM »
How could you possibly become a pilot without understanding the difference? ???
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Mitchell45

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:33:49 AM »
I know the difference I just don't see how it would be possible on the FE model.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:53:35 AM »
Why should it be any different?  ???
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 06:41:03 PM »
I am flat earther, though there is one thing I can't understand. Why is airspeed different than landspeed? As a pilot I can't understand this.

You can't be a pilot if you don't know the difference.  You should have grasped the concept in the first hour of ground school.  Even if the earth was flat there is still air and wind.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
Airspeed is speed relative to the air.

Groundspeed (which pilots do NOT call "Landspeed") is speed relative to the ground.

So - suppose there are two airfields 'A' and 'B' that are 100 miles apart, 'B' being due east of 'A'.  And suppose there is a 20mph wind blowing from west to east.   If my plane takes off from 'A' and flies eastward towards 'B' and arrives there exactly one hour later - then the "GroundSpeed" of the plane was 100mph...it covered 100 miles of ground in one hour.

But the "AirSpeed" throughout the flight would be only 80mph because of the constant 20mph tailwind.

If you then turned around and flew back to 'A' - taking an hour to do so - then your ground speed would still be 100mph - but your airspeed would be 120mph because of the 20mph headwind.

All of this is true regardless of whether we're talking RE or FE since both have winds.

The reason that ANY pilot would know this from just about day #1 of flight training is that the performance of your aircraft in the air depends only on Airspeed - but when you come in to land, GroundSpeed is what you have to get right if you want to avoid dying in the process.

Sorry Mitchell45 - but I don't believe you're a qualified pilot - your use of the wrong word and your lack of understanding of one of the cornerstones of flight training sell you out.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?