Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #600 on: July 23, 2017, 04:17:15 AM »
I suppose we're expected to assume that Superman's death erased the (enormous) controversy surrounding him and turned him into a universally-beloved martyr. Cyborg's "Relax, Alfred..." moment was about as funny as cancer, and the scene with the Flash up on the rooftop takes what had the potential to be a decent joke and ruins it with a horrendously-written and horrendously-delivered punchline. I get that he's supposed to be awkward and have poor social skills, but there are ways to make that funny, and this isn't one of them. Alfred is the only one getting any laughs here.

My view of the action and general aesthetic hasn't really changed since the last trailer. It's ugly, incoherent, drowning in CGI, and the villain is looking to be yet another generic CGI nothing who'll have another destructive DBZ-style beatdown with the heroes in the end. And speaking of Steppenwolf, he's so obviously just going to be a prelude to Darkseid for a sequel that it's tiring. I'd say that they should drop the pretense and just go straight to Darkseid, but they won't do that simply because Marvel is using Thanos right now.

Also, on the notion of an extremely gratuitous ass-shot.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #601 on: July 23, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
They are re-shooting a bunch, so perhaps a bunch of this stuff will be moot by the time the finished project came out.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 25, 2017, 04:33:48 AM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-afflecks-batman-future-doubt-as-warner-bros-plots-franchise-future-1023296

We've heard rumors like this before, but if THR is reporting it, it's almost certainly true. (Affleck has denied it, but of course he would.) It's a shame, as I liked Batfleck, but WB/DC were bound to run into this problem before too long, even if BvS had been well-received. What can you do with a Batman who's clearly at the end of his career? There's the Justice League, sure, but it's not the best jumping-off point for a solo Batman movie, let alone a new trilogy of them. It just goes to show how shortsighted it was to immediately jump to partially adapting TDKR for no better reason than it being the most famous and successful Batman story. It's interesting that the author speculates about legacy characters inheriting the name, because the idea that WB would make a Batman movie without Bruce Wayne being the man in the cowl is fucking insane. I'm not saying that there aren't any worthwhile stories about different Batmen, but for a big-budget, mainstream tentpole film - no, there's no way it'll happen, at least not any time in the next several years.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 25, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
Batman Beyond was successful enough that I wouldn't write the idea off completely, though it seems unlikely.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 11, 2017, 04:41:34 AM »
I also meant to comment on the news that the Flash movie will be an adaptation of Flashpoint. It seems like a really weird choice to turn his first solo movie into what'll essentially be another event movie. Some people have suggested that WB might use the time-travel/alternate-universe shenanigans involved as a way to retcon out the poorly-received elements of the DCEU, and/or possibly replace Batfleck with a younger actor with less A-list pull. But really, though, we all know that this is just going to be a grimdark Batman movie in disguise, starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Lauren Cohan as the alt-Batman and alt-Joker, respectively. The Flash himself might occupy the same role that Wolverine did in DoFP, but the movie won't truly be about him.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 11, 2017, 06:20:21 AM »
I'm sure it will be an attempted retcon of the less popular elements of the DC cinematic universe and yet another grimdark Batman movie, don't be so negative Saddam.

And if this doesn't work there's always Crisis the Movie.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 11, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
DCCU's big problem is that they saw batman as being so successful and assumed it was because of grimdark, not realizing that it was because batman is supposed to be grimdark and we liked it because it was batman.

This is why executives should not make movies based on numbers and polls.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 16, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 17, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »
Batman's outfit looks so hilariously uncomfortable in all the older movies. Honestly in a lot of Nolan's work, too. Batfleck doesn't seem as comfortable as many of the spandex heroes do, but it's better.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 20, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »
I'm three episodes in and Defenders is kinda decent so far.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 23, 2017, 03:56:18 AM »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 23, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »
I want to vomit just reading that.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Rama Set

« Reply #612 on: August 23, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
Unless it's awesome. Then it would be awesome. Unlikely, I know, but let's stay positive.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 24, 2017, 02:34:21 AM »
The concept defies the potential of awesomeness. The Joker doesn't need an origin story, and to give him one, or even spend too much time focusing on his past, just weakens the character and the mystery that surrounds him.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-harley-quinn-movie-scores-crazy-stupid-love-filmmakers-write-direct-1032210

please no

what is even happening now

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 24, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
tragic
The Mastery.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 24, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
Seriously....

I mean, they do a Joker origin story like every batman reboot.  You wanna do one?  Do Red Hood.

And Harley Quinn was in it well after the Joker was established as a psycho.  That's basically two origin stories in one movie and let's just... no. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 24, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »
I mean, they do a Joker origin story like every batman reboot.

You mean in the adaptations? The first Burtman gave him an origin story, and I suppose the Telltale series is currently in the middle of one, but that's all I can think of. Adaptations like The Dark Knight, the DCAU, Bamham, and Batman '66 all wisely kept his origin ambiguous. Even Gotham is currently staying vague about what connection, if any, Jerome has with the future Joker, and this from the show that delivers (what it imagines to be) fanservice with all the subtlety of an elephant crashing into a grand piano. (Incidentally, the best episode involving Jerome, and one of Gotham's strongest overall, was when he squared off against young Bruce Wayne in a quasi-adaptation of The Killing Joke. It's almost as if the Joker is at his best when he's fighting Batman!)

And Harley Quinn was in it well after the Joker was established as a psycho.  That's basically two origin stories in one movie and let's just... no.

I'm not sure what this means. Harley was in what?

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 25, 2017, 10:37:30 AM »
I mean, they do a Joker origin story like every batman reboot.

You mean in the adaptations? The first Burtman gave him an origin story, and I suppose the Telltale series is currently in the middle of one, but that's all I can think of. Adaptations like The Dark Knight, the DCAU, Bamham, and Batman '66 all wisely kept his origin ambiguous. Even Gotham is currently staying vague about what connection, if any, Jerome has with the future Joker, and this from the show that delivers (what it imagines to be) fanservice with all the subtlety of an elephant crashing into a grand piano. (Incidentally, the best episode involving Jerome, and one of Gotham's strongest overall, was when he squared off against young Bruce Wayne in a quasi-adaptation of The Killing Joke. It's almost as if the Joker is at his best when he's fighting Batman!)
Right, right... Grimdark batman just had "Oh and this guy called the joker suddenly appeared".

I'm not sure what this means. Harley was in what?
Wow... I did not write that well.
Harley Quinn's creation was in Batman: The Animated Series.  Where they also showed her Origin story, which takes place a while after the joker's origin.

My point was you'd have a movie that showed one villain's origin then move onto another villain's origin in the same movie. Which doesn't sound like a good idea.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 25, 2017, 10:20:05 PM »
I imagine if they go that way they'll simply change the details so the two origins coincide. I mean, it's not as if the people who make the movies tend to rigidly stick to the mythology in the comics. Even really good ones like Spiderman or Guardians change significant details in the lives of their characters.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
http://batman-news.com/2017/08/29/joker-origin-movie-bullied/

It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.

I would seriously rather see Snyder/Goyer be given yet another shot at a DCEU movie than this.

Wow... I did not write that well.
Harley Quinn's creation was in Batman: The Animated Series.  Where they also showed her Origin story, which takes place a while after the joker's origin.

My point was you'd have a movie that showed one villain's origin then move onto another villain's origin in the same movie. Which doesn't sound like a good idea.

Why would a movie about the Joker's origin include Harley's origin? We already saw pretty much all there was to her origin in SS, anyway.

In other news, the madness continues.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:56:54 AM by honk »