Suggestions for FAQ page
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:33:13 AM »
1) I know that animations are difficult and time-consuming to produce, but you may want to modify the day/night cycle animation. It simplistically shows the Sun and Moon at equal-but-opposite points from the North Pole. The problem here (to me) is that I often see the Moon in the sky during the day, but at different times of the month. Perhaps the Moon should be shown further from the North Pole, thus in a different phase from the Sun?
2) The "pictures on the internet" section has a typo: "... will cause a picture to distort with little or no apparent altercation" should be "... alteration".

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for FAQ page
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions.

1) I know that animations are difficult and time-consuming to produce, but you may want to modify the day/night cycle animation. It simplistically shows the Sun and Moon at equal-but-opposite points from the North Pole. The problem here (to me) is that I often see the Moon in the sky during the day, but at different times of the month. Perhaps the Moon should be shown further from the North Pole, thus in a different phase from the Sun?
The problem isn't so much with how much time it would take, but rather with how big the final animation would be. At some point (but definitely not in the near future) I'd like to look at alternative solutions, but right now a GIF is simply the most accessible to the widest audience. Creating a similar GIF that loops neatly and correctly indicates the relative location of the moon and sun would increase the file size (and length of animation) by a factor of 149.

In essence, I agree that it would be best to have a more accurate animations, but it will have to wait until (for example) CSS animations are better supported across platforms. Unless, of course, you or anyone else can think of a way of implementing this that hasn't crossed my mind.

2) The "pictures on the internet" section has a typo: "... will cause a picture to distort with little or no apparent altercation" should be "... alteration".
I'm not sure if "alteration" fits particularly well in that sentence, either. It's a bit awkward altogether. For now, I'll edit it to read "Furthermore, barrel distortion and other quirks of modern cameras will cause a picture to distort in ways which may not be immediately obvious, especially without references within the picture." Anyone, please feel free to suggest better alternatives.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:09:54 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume