Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Flat earth interrogation
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 11:14:26 PM »
The Earth is flat.  Get over it.

Roundy, here is a question for you.
If the earth is flat, tell us how you would estimate the distance from you to the horizon ? Some figures and examples ?

Obviously the only sure way would be to measure the distance from various heights and try to extrapolate a formula from the results. Anything but pure empirical evidence runs the danger of leading into error (a lesson REers really should understand by now, what with the hoops that have been jumped through over the centuries to get the theory of gravity to match observations among other things).

The "round earth" method has been used for some time and has been proven to be accurate. The lookouts compare their estimates of distances with those on the radars. It's just part of their training exercises and actual operations.

I'm just curious as to how it would be done if the earth was flat ? Could you give me some examples ?

I just answered this question as fully as I feel I could. Which part did you not understand? ???

I noticed btw that even as you thought you were refuting me you confirmed the importance of empirical observation so thanks for that.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

geckothegeek

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 01:03:34 AM »
The Earth is flat.  Get over it.

Roundy, here is a question for you.
If the earth is flat, tell us how you would estimate the distance from you to the horizon ? Some figures and examples ?

Obviously the only sure way would be to measure the distance from various heights and try to extrapolate a formula from the results. Anything but pure empirical evidence runs the danger of leading into error (a lesson REers really should understand by now, what with the hoops that have been jumped through over the centuries to get the theory of gravity to match observations among other things).

The "round earth" method has been used for some time and has been proven to be accurate. The lookouts compare their estimates of distances with those on the radars. It's just part of their training exercises and actual operations.

I haven't done that in any official capacity, but when I was in the Navy I would watch ships in the distance and then watch them on the radar to see how far they really were. I wasn't aware at that time of the equation for visual estimations of the distance to the horizon. But if I had known it at that time, I could have done as the lookouts do.

I'm just curious as to how it would be done if the earth was flat ? Could you give me some examples ?

I've already posted some, but I can post the equation, the result and some examples  again if you like.

I'm going to be off until I get back on about 6:00 or 7:00 PM CST.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:05:05 AM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 01:24:28 AM »
Not sure, but were you questioning  the fact that the way to measure the distance was based on the earth being round ?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 01:51:23 AM »
Not sure, but were you questioning  the fact that the way to measure the distance was based on the earth being round ?

I didn't question anything that you said.  I'm sure that's what your lookouts think they were based on (i.e. that it's what your formula is ostensibly predicated on).  You say quite clearly "the lookouts compare their estimates of distances with those on the radars", thus highlighting the point that the formula wouldn't be trustworthy if it wasn't demonstrated empirically.  That was precisely the point I made in the post of mine that the statement was in response to. 

This doesn't seem to address my question about what you misunderstood in my explanation of how to get such a result empirically and free of dependence on a round Earth.  I recognize that I'm a lot more intelligent than the vast majority of people I come across either on the internet or in real life, so if you need a broader explanation of any specific point to help you along I'd be happy to provide one.  :)

Just don't expect figures and diagrams, lol, because I'm not drawing out something that can be so easily explained verbally.  I'm a philosopher, not an artist.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:13:04 AM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

geckothegeek

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 03:01:54 AM »
I'm sure we all know that the earth is a sphere and not some flat disc, whether or not some people pretend that they believe that the earth is a flat disc. But it is interesting to read of all the ideas of how things would have to be if the earth was flat.

If you don't want to face facts, so be it.  Let's be honest. I am still of the opinion that if this website dropped the false pretense that some people actually believe in a "flat earth " and make the statement " The earth is not a flat disc, but this website is just intended to explore the ideas of how things would be on a flat disc." I think this website would be just as interesting , or even more so than it is and attract just as many, or even more visitors.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:19:50 AM by geckothegeek »